What makes make-believe so attractive?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
chownah

What makes make-believe so attractive?

Post by chownah » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:40 am

In the hollywood thread binocular asked about this. So rather than to change the topic there I created this thread here.

So.....let's help binocular just what is it that makes make-believe so attractive?
chownah

pegembara

Re: What makes make-believe so attractive?

Post by pegembara » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:39 am

Always feeling young, strong and healthy, living together happily ever after, having all that one wants (wealth, power, fame, control). All these are adukkha, no? Even if they are make-believe.

This is the False Promise of Happiness.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:01 am

"If someone is living in a make-believe world, they are pretending that things are better, different, or more exciting than they really are instead of facing up to reality."

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/di ... ke-believe

People often watch fantasy movies, go to the theatre, read fiction novels, listen to music etc in order to take a mental break from their boring/ unhappy/ busy lives and immerse their minds in la-la land for a while. Perhaps its a form of temporary relaxation.

However, if one gets obsessed with watching excessive sex & violence - such as in "Game of Thrones" for example, it probably has a very negative effect on the mind in one way or another.

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:29 am

Most children that I have met love to play make believe.....and adults often encourage it. I think that there is a feeling that playing make believe will help children be more understanding and tolerant of other peoples positions and will help to foster creativity......but I don't know about this....maybe I am completely wrong.....
chownah

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:35 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:19 pm

chownah wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:40 am
In the hollywood thread binocular asked about this. So rather than to change the topic there I created this thread here.

So.....let's help binocular just what is it that makes make-believe so attractive?
chownah
Because it's fun!

:toast:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

JohnK

Post by JohnK » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Aloka wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:01 am
People often watch fantasy movies, go to the theatre, read fiction novels, listen to music etc in order to take a mental break from their boring/ unhappy/ busy lives and immerse their minds in la-la land for a while.
So, in dhamma language, an escape from dukkha; a temporary escape; a more substantial/non-worldly path/experience is not known.
Not very different in that way from the make believe of intoxication; and potentially as habit forming.
"Why is it, Master Kaccana, that ascetics fight with ascetics?"
"It is, brahmin, because of attachment to views, adherence to views, fixation on views, addiction to views, obsession with views, holding firmly to views that ascetics fight with ascetics" (AN 2: iv, 6, abridged).
Kindly eyes, not verbal daggers.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 pm

Greetings,

I cannot see a topic like this without thinking of the Red Pill and Blue Pill...
The red pill and its opposite, the blue pill, are popular cultural symbols representing the choice between:

- Knowledge, freedom and the (sometimes painful) truth of reality (red pill)
- Falsehood, security and the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue pill)

The terms, popularized in science fiction culture, are derived from the 1999 film The Matrix. In the film, the main character Neo is offered the choice between a red pill and a blue pill by rebel leader Morpheus. The red pill would free him from the enslaving control of the machine-generated dream world and allow him to escape into the real world, but living the "truth of reality" is harsher and more difficult; on the other hand, the blue pill would lead him back to stay in the comfortable simulated reality of the Matrix.
The Dhamma is the Red Pill.

Make-believe, ignorance, Hollywood, and thus puthujjana-ism, are the Blue Pill.

Nama-rupa and vinnana are the Matrix.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

ryanM

Post by ryanM » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:26 am

The house-builder will always want to play house. Giving the will/vinnana something to do or fabricate. Just kind of the nature of the thing, it seems.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"