The 'silent crisis' of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Buddha Vacana

Re: The 'silent crisis' of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh

Post by Buddha Vacana » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:59 am

Meggo wrote: You actually haven't addressed my post, which you seem to point at here.
Where i talked about your friend.
No I haven't and don't plan to. Also I did not refer to your post. I believe I quoted lyndon taylor.

And no he is not my friend. You seem to think I agree with what that person says.
There is way too much vitriol in your words, I'll steer clear, thanks.

Meggo

Post by Meggo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 am

Buddha Vacana wrote:
Meggo wrote: You actually haven't addressed my post, which you seem to point at here.
Where i talked about your friend.
No I haven't and don't plan to. Also I did not refer to your post. I believe I quoted lyndon taylor.

And no he is not my friend. You seem to think I agree with what that person says.
There is way too much vitriol in your words, I'll steer clear, thanks.
That is pretty weak. Quoting a guy who you yourself described as your friend only to deny that later?
One of my Burmese friends from Mandalay shared this on facebook
And who expresses fascist ideas, which clearly are not vile enough to be of any concern to you but then denying me a proper answer because my criticism of his ethnocentric Blut und Boden philosophy contains too much vitriol? Not really convincing.

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:29 am

Meggo wrote:Quoting a guy who you yourself described as your friend only to deny that later?
I see the misunderstanding here. My friend shared a post written by someone else on facebook. Hence the author is no friend of mine. Also, that friend is a friend because it is someone who helped me arrange meditation retreats in Burmese places, not because I agree with her idea of politics. But I think it is better to listen to what people have to say rather than claiming you already know while you are actually unwittingly misunderstanding the situation.

The rest of your gifts belong to you, I don't want them.

Meggo

Post by Meggo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:42 am

I don't see any misunderstanding. You have a friend who likes fascist philosophy you found worthy of posting. You don't like to be criticized for that and call that poisonous.

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:25 am

Meggo wrote:I don't see any misunderstanding. You have a friend who likes fascist philosophy you found worthy of posting. You don't like to be criticized for that and call that poisonous.
In all honesty, please tell me: before reading this post,were you aware of the existence of the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army and what they have been up to recently?
In October 2016, the group, calling itself Harakah al-Yaqin (or, Faith Movement), claimed responsibility for attacks on Burmese border posts along the Bangladesh-Myanmar border, which left 9 border officers and 4 soldiers dead.
On 25 August 2017, the group claimed responsibility for coordinated attacks on police posts and an attempted raid on an army base. The government announced a death toll of 77 Rohingya insurgents and 12 security forces in northern Maungdaw following the attacks. The government stated that they had attacked a police station in the Maungdaw District with a handmade bomb alongside the coordinated attacks on several police posts. The ARSA claimed they were taking "defensive actions" in 25 different locations and accused government soldiers of raping and killing civilians. The group also claimed that Rathedaung had been under a blockade for more than two weeks, starving the Rohingya, and that the government forces were preparing to do the same in Maungdaw.[21]

On 26 August 2017, over 4,000 ethnic Rakhines fled their villages as fighting between the ARSA and the Tatmadaw escalated.[22]

The government in August 2017 accused the ARSA of killing 12 civilians, including Hindus and Muslims, some of whom were suspected by the ARSA of being government informants.[23][24][25]

ARSA in a statement on 28 August released a statement, calling government allegations against it as "baseless" and sought to represent its cause as defense of Rohingya rights.[15] Bangladesh meanwhile has proposed joint military operations with Myanmar against ARSA.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arakan_ ... ation_Army

War is ugly. There are many sides to this tragedy. Every tragedy has a hisrory. Claiming to have a fair idea of what is happening without knowing the history nor listening to what locals have to say is not a wise thing to do. Understanding is not the same as condoning. It is easy to judge from our comfortable chairs what happens in conflict torn areas.

Meggo

Post by Meggo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:09 am

Buddha Vacana wrote:
Meggo wrote:I don't see any misunderstanding. You have a friend who likes fascist philosophy you found worthy of posting. You don't like to be criticized for that and call that poisonous.
In all honesty, please tell me: before reading this post,were you aware of the existence of the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army and what they have been up to recently?
I have been aware of their existence but i have not been aware of what they have been up to recently. The reason is i am not very fond of reading about war and violence which is happening on this planet. But i think we are talking past each other, let's see.
War is ugly. There are many sides to this tragedy.
Yes it gets ugly because people believe in sides. Therefore groups of people can easily be mobilized leading to mass scale atrocities. I am not on any side. What is right and wrong should be analyzed on an individual level, like i i tried to do with the post/ individual you quoted.
Every tragedy has a history. Claiming to have a fair idea of what is happening without knowing the history nor listening to what locals have to say is not a wise thing to do. Understanding is not the same as condoning. It is easy to judge from our comfortable chairs what happens in conflict torn areas.
Yes and no, because regardless of a given history which is always open to interpretation and revision you have to hold the individual accountable for his/ her own actions. So called History can lead to actions but doesn't excuse them ever. So criticizing somebody for their ethnocentric views can be done regardless of what happened to him, his relatives or "his country".

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:35 am

SDC wrote:
lyndon taylor wrote:I was speaking on the forum in general, and it was more than just a small handful of posters.
It was never enough to qualify as the dominant view of the forum, which is the story you are trying to tell everyone.
Hi SDC
It does come top down though

https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 20#p436641

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Last edited by DooDoot on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Buddha Vacana wrote:War is ugly. There are many sides to this tragedy. Every tragedy has a hisrory. Claiming to have a fair idea of what is happening without knowing the history nor listening to what locals have to say is not a wise thing to do. Understanding is not the same as condoning. It is easy to judge from our comfortable chairs what happens in conflict torn areas.
Hard to believe the Rohingya, such a poor, powerless & small minority, are making war against such a large majority. Maybe it is best to give up the 'Buddhist vs Muslim' identity charade and look a bit deeper into the economic & corporate reasons why that part of Burma is being conveniently depopulated. With the USA & NATO bombing Libya due to an alleged fake uprising, with a Syrian terrorism going on for 5 years by outsiders and with a fake Aleppo Holocaust alert last year by all political & media groups, we still believe the cowboys vs Indians rhetoric. Have we all forgotten the nonsensical Aleppo hysteria from last year & the Bana al-Abed Twitter girl?

SDC

Post by SDC » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Mr Man wrote:
SDC wrote:
lyndon taylor wrote:I was speaking on the forum in general, and it was more than just a small handful of posters.
It was never enough to qualify as the dominant view of the forum, which is the story you are trying to tell everyone.
Hi SDC

Still not "the dominant view" on forum, Mr Hero, though, as usual, it seems your agenda is otherwise.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:02 pm

SDC wrote:
Mr Man wrote:
SDC wrote:
Hi SDC

Still not "the dominant view" on forum, Mr Hero, though, as usual, it seems your agenda is otherwise.
What's the agenda SDC?

SDC

Post by SDC » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Mr Man wrote: What's the agenda SDC?
I'm too small for your fishing nets

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:32 pm

SDC wrote:
Mr Man wrote: What's the agenda SDC?
I'm too small for your fishing nets
You mean you were just posting falsehoods?

SDC

Post by SDC » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Mr Man wrote:You mean you were just posting falsehoods?
Still too small for you to catch...

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:40 pm

SDC wrote:
What are you even talking about. I'm not trying to catch you, sorry.

:redherring: :redherring: :redherring:

SDC

Post by SDC » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Mr Man wrote:
SDC wrote:
What are you even talking about. I'm not trying to catch you, sorry.

:redherring: :redherring: :redherring:
aight

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:17 am

Possibly a more balanced article? Worth a read -

"Self-fulfilling lethal prophecies in Myanmar"
http://www.atimes.com/article/self-full ... s-myanmar/

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 am

Mr Man wrote:Possibly a more balanced article? Worth a read -

"Self-fulfilling lethal prophecies in Myanmar"
http://www.atimes.com/article/self-full ... s-myanmar/
Balanced? Lol. I prefer to read articles about the petroleum discoveries in that region by corporations. Another Al Qaeda, ISIS or Boko Haram? So who is supplying this ARSA army with requisites? The 52nd state of the USA called Saudi Arabia, which was recently sold billions of $$$ in military hardware by the USA & UK? Or do you believe Allah is sending this army weapons from heaven? At least as a Buddhist, I try to examine 'cause & effect' rather than mass media articles. If Saudia Arabia or other Muslim nation armed this army I could believe it was an Islamic Holy War if that Muslim nation was not the 52nd state of the USA. To me, its all the same modus operandi going on everywhere. Its the same pattern, once it is examined. While France was supporting ISIS in Syria, ISIS was killing people in France. Many can't put 1 + 1 = 2 together. NATO has supported the terrorists in Libya & Syria for the last 6 years, who murder Muslims, yet folks still believe this is all an Islamic Jihad.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:37 am

Hi DooDoot

You don't think it was balanced? What was wrong with the article?
DooDoot wrote:I prefer to read articles about the petroleum discoveries in that region by corporations.
Have you read some?
DooDoot wrote: So who is supplying this ARSA army with requisites? The 52nd state of the USA called Saudi Arabia, which was recently sold billions of $$$ in military hardware by the USA & UK?
Are Saudi supporting ARSA army with requisites? Are ARSA well armed? How do the Saudi requisites reach ARSA?

padmini

Post by padmini » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:33 am

Buddha Vacana wrote: In all honesty, please tell me: before reading this post,were you aware of the existence of the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army and what they have been up to recently?
War is ugly. There are many sides to this tragedy. Every tragedy has a hisrory. Claiming to have a fair idea of what is happening without knowing the history nor listening to what locals have to say is not a wise thing to do. Understanding is not the same as condoning. It is easy to judge from our comfortable chairs what happens in conflict torn areas.
I had read all this before posting at the beginning of this thread, I know and condemn what the Rohingya Salvation Army has done as much as I condemn the Burmese military.
I always take sides with the innocent, who are dragged into a conflict they did not want (and probably don't understand in the case of children).

I don't care who started first and who killed who, I feel compassion and sorrow for all victims of this senseless conflict -- most of which as usual seem to be common, innocent people.
The Buddha's path is simple and meant for ordinary people; anyone with goodwill and determination can follow its steps toward freedom of heart and mind
-- Ven. Ayya Khema