The 'silent crisis' of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
binocular

Re: The 'silent crisis' of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh

Post by binocular » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:52 am

padmini wrote: I feel compassion and sorrow for all victims of this senseless conflict -- most of which as usual seem to be common, innocent people.
Wait till they rise to power.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:59 am

binocular wrote:
padmini wrote: I feel compassion and sorrow for all victims of this senseless conflict -- most of which as usual seem to be common, innocent people.
Wait till they rise to power.
Wait till who rise to power?

binocular

Post by binocular » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Mr Man wrote:Wait till who rise to power?
The "victims of this senseless conflict -- most of which as usual seem to be common, innocent people."

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:09 pm

binocular wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Wait till who rise to power?
The "victims of this senseless conflict -- most of which as usual seem to be common, innocent people."
Are the victims going to rise to power? What is do you think they are going to do once they have risen to power?

binocular

Post by binocular » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Mr Man wrote:Are the victims going to rise to power?
Yes, likely.
What is do you think they are going to do once they have risen to power?
The same things that those do who are currently in positions of power.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:25 pm

binocular wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Are the victims going to rise to power?
Yes, likely.
What is do you think they are going to do once they have risen to power?
The same things that those do who are currently in positions of power.
We are talking about Myanmar. You think the Rohingya are going to rise to power in Myanmar?

binocular

Post by binocular » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Mr Man wrote:We are talking about Myanmar. You think the Rohingya are going to rise to power in Myanmar?
They or their fellow religionists already did, apparently, because in Myanmar, there are Muslims who are killing Buddhists.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:29 pm

binocular wrote:
Mr Man wrote:We are talking about Myanmar. You think the Rohingya are going to rise to power in Myanmar?
They or their fellow religionists already did, apparently, because in Myanmar, there are Muslims who are killing Buddhists.

Hmm. First you said
binocular wrote: Wait till they rise to power.
Then
binocular wrote: They or their fellow religionists already did, apparently....
Seems like your in a bit of a muddle binocular. What is the point you were trying to make?

binocular

Post by binocular » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Mr Man wrote:Seems like your in a bit of a muddle binocular.
Not all of them have already risen to power.
What is the point you were trying to make?
How can there be "innocent victims" when there is kamma??

There is a politically correct discourse about victims. And it's a discourse that completely ignores kamma.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:20 pm

padmini wrote: I had read all this before posting at the beginning of this thread, I know and condemn what the Rohingya Salvation Army has done as much as I condemn the Burmese military.
I always take sides with the innocent, who are dragged into a conflict they did not want (and probably don't understand in the case of children).

I don't care who started first and who killed who, I feel compassion and sorrow for all victims of this senseless conflict -- most of which as usual seem to be common, innocent people.
:anjali: :anjali: :anjali:
“It happened that a fire broke out backstage in a theater. The clown came out to inform the public. They thought it was a jest and applauded. He repeated his warning. They shouted even louder. So I think the world will come to an end amid the general applause from all the wits who believe that it is a joke.”
Søren Kierkegaard

clw_uk

Post by clw_uk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Meggo wrote:I don't see any misunderstanding. You have a friend who likes fascist philosophy you found worthy of posting. You don't like to be criticized for that and call that poisonous.

I saw nothing indicating Fascism in that post. But these days Fascism merely means "something a liberal doesn't like."

The post had a nationalist tone, but that in of itself doesn't equal Fascism (and nationalism isn't necessarily a bad thing). As for the rest, it was arguing that there has been violence on the Muslim side. Perfectly reasonable for the other side to air their POV.

Anyway, :focus:
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:08 am

Without a doubt there are rohingya who are/were illegal immigrants to myanmar and were claiming citizenship status......and without a doubt there are/were rohingya whose ancestors migrated to the region now called myanmar long enough ago so that any reasonable gov't would recongnize their citizenship status. The problem is that the gov'ts of myanmar and burma before it refused to document them which is a sly way for the gov't to be able to kick them around like a political football.
chownah

binocular

Post by binocular » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:12 am

chownah wrote:Without a doubt there are rohingya who are/were illegal immigrants to myanmar and were claiming citizenship status......and without a doubt there are/were rohingya whose ancestors migrated to the region now called myanmar long enough ago so that any reasonable gov't would recongnize their citizenship status.

The problem is that the gov'ts of myanmar and burma before it refused to document them which is a sly way for the gov't to be able to kick them around like a political football.
This sort of thing happens with minorities all over the world, it's nothing new or special. The only difference is that sometimes, in some areas, it is more bloody than in others.

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:57 am

Myanmar's military: The power Aung San Suu Kyi can't control

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/21/asia/ ... index.html
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:33 am

We should be doing something usefully compassionate as well as talking.
I had trouble finding reliable charities which had set up specific campaigns but here are a couple of places to donate to relief efforts:

Avaaz https://secure.avaaz.org/en/rohingya_fu ... escue_loc/

Amnesty https://www.amnesty.org.au/rohingya-myanmar-donate/

I tried to donate to the UNHCR first but their site stalled - maybe too busy at the time? Here it is anyway: https://www.unrefugees.org.au/emergency ... /rohingya/

:group:
Kim

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:55 am

Lucas Oliveira wrote:Myanmar's military: The power Aung San Suu Kyi can't control

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/21/asia/ ... index.html
Suu kyi is only free to speak at all because the military lets her. People think that there has been some fundamental move to democracy in myanmar.... :jumping:
chownah

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Accounts of rape, burning children and murder

How a Rohingya massacre unfolded at Tula Toli

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/12/asia/ ... index.html
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 am

In my opinion, there is little point making this a Buddhist vs Muslim conflict because it only reinforces the script. It doesn't take much effort or initiative to pay mercenaries, including peasants, to perform violence. Rakine is an oil & gas province, which it is alleged the Chinese also want to build a pipeline through.
We must consider vested political and economic interests as contributing factors to forced displacement in Myanmar, not just of the Rohingya people but of other minorities such as the Kachin, the Shan, the Karen, the Chin, and the Mon.

In Rakhine State, Chinese and Indian interests are part of broader China-India relations. These interests revolve principally around the construction of infrastructure and pipelines in the region. Such projects claim to guarantee employment, transit fees and oil and gas revenues for the whole of Myanmar.

Among numerous development projects, a transnational pipeline built by China National Petroleum Company (CNPC) connecting Sittwe, the capital of Rakhine, to Kunming, China, began operations in September 2013. The wider efforts to take Myanmar oil and gas from the Shwe gas field to Guangzhou, China, are well documented.

http://theconversation.com/religion-is- ... nmar-83726
Myanmar's "pro-democracy" front now leads calls for genocide of ethnic minorities - Aung San Suu Kyi's silence is complicity.

September 3, 2012 - In Myanmar (still called by its British colonial nomenclature "Burma"), ethnic minority Rohingya Muslims have been once again targeted by violence and the threat of relocation. Self-proclaimed "Buddhist monks" have taken to the streets in cities across Myanmar, reminiscent of the 2007 "Saffron Revolution," to call for the expulsion of the Rohingya from the country....

Like their US-funded (and armed) counterparts in Syria, many fighting openly under the flag of sectarian extremism held aloft by international terrorist organization Al Qaeda, we see the absolute moral bankruptcy of Myanmar's "pro-democracy" movement that has, up until now, been skillfully covered up by endless torrents of Western propaganda - Aung San Suu Kyi's Nobel Peace Prize and recent "Chatham House Prize" all being part of the illusion.

from September 3, 2012 http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com.au/20 ... cidal.html
Saudi officials are preparing to pay the salaries of the Free Syria Army as a means of encouraging mass defections from the military and increasing pressure on the Assad regime, the Guardian has learned.

The move, which has been discussed between Riyadh and senior officials in the US and Arab world, is believed to be gaining momentum as a recent flush of weapons sent to rebel forces by Saudi Arabia and Qatar starts to make an impact on battlefields in Syria.

Officials in the Saudi capital embraced the idea when it was put to them by Arab officials in May, according to sources in three Arab states, around the same time that weapons started to flow across the southern Turkish border into the hands of Free Syria Army leaders.

Turkey has also allowed the establishment of a command centre in Istanbul which is co-ordinating supply lines in consultation with FSA leaders inside Syria. The centre is believed to be staffed by up to 22 people, most of them Syrian nationals.

from Saturday 23 June 2012 03.03 AEST https://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/ ... rebel-army
Covert CIA Mission to Arm Syrian Rebels Goes Awry - WSJ
Jan 26, 2015 - “We walk around Syria with a huge American flag planted on our backs, but we don't have .... picking up money a few days later for salaries and administrative expenses. ... Most CIA-backed fighters made $100 to $150 a month...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covert-cia ... 1422329582

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:13 am

binocular wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:55 pm
How can there be "innocent victims" when there is kamma??
Just saw this comment. I hope none of us ever says this to a victim of a crime, or a parent of a child crime victim, or a sexual assault or sexual harassment victim. It sounds like something Roy Moore's defenders might say (if they weren't mostly evangelical Christians).
Accounts of rape, burning children and murder
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。