The 'silent crisis' of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:42 am

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/18/asia/ ... index.html
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

Lucas Oliveira

Re: The 'silent crisis' of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Violence in Myanmar: 18,000 Rohingya flee in 5 days

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/30/asia/ ... index.html
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

Garrib

Post by Garrib » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:42 pm

This is horrible stuff - I hope that the people committing these atrocities actually take a moment to consider what the Buddha actually taught. May the violence, persecution, and exploitation stop!

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:28 pm

There is genocide going on there': Rohingya huddle on Bangladesh border

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/01/asia/ ... index.html

padmini

Post by padmini » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:22 pm

I simply CANNOT believe someone calling themselves a Buddhist can do something so senseless and cruel.
:weep:

My thoughts are with these innocent people.
The Buddha's path is simple and meant for ordinary people; anyone with goodwill and determination can follow its steps toward freedom of heart and mind
-- Ven. Ayya Khema

Phena

Post by Phena » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:24 am

There are many in Myanmar who are demonstrating that they are Buddhist by name only, not by deed.

I am disappointed in Aung San Suu Kyi.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 am

“It happened that a fire broke out backstage in a theater. The clown came out to inform the public. They thought it was a jest and applauded. He repeated his warning. They shouted even louder. So I think the world will come to an end amid the general applause from all the wits who believe that it is a joke.”
Søren Kierkegaard

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:34 am

One of my Burmese friends from Mandalay shared this on facebook
This cartoon depicts how the world looks at the conflict in one of our states. Does our Rakhine state belong to the Rakhines or the Bengalis? Since our border with Bangladesh is so porous, the Bangalis have been moving back and forth for decades if not for centuries. But that does not make them one of our ethnic people. It is quite natural that the Muslims around the world rally round the so called "Rohingyas" who are Muslims. In all fairness, you need to look at both sides. The Rakhines are now fleeing from their homes,their villages because they are being attacked by Muslim terrorists. They have to flee their homeland. The "Rohingyas" are also fleeing from Rakhine to Bangladesh because of the conflict. They are merely going home! Who started the present conflict,anyway? Why did they provoke us in the first place? There are many Chinese and Indians also residing in our homeland. Why cannot the Bangladeshis also live in harmony like them? It is not the culture nor the tradition of Myanmar people to discriminate foreigners. The world still needs to learn more about Myanmar people. The international media is certainly not a reliable source to do it.
https://www.facebook.com/nay.oke.944/po ... 7944723973
Attachments
21271219_1889307088058392_2322315132486834498_n.jpg
21271219_1889307088058392_2322315132486834498_n.jpg (44.66 KiB) Viewed 485 times

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:05 pm

This looks like Buddhist anti Rohingya propaganda
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Meggo

Post by Meggo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:05 pm

hmm... your friends seems to be quite the fascist
Buddha Vacana wrote:One of my Burmese friends from Mandalay shared this on facebook
Does our Rakhine state belong to the Rakhines or the Bengalis?

I don't know, does a state really belong to anybody? Maybe your own property but the whole state?

But that does not make them one of our ethnic people.

ah, now i see, the state belongs to a certain (our) ethnicity, forever...

It is quite natural that the Muslims around the world rally round the so called "Rohingyas" who are Muslims.

ok, so it is natural, that seems to mean
1) you don't have to think about it in terms of being wrong or right, because of the ethnic factor, reacting to this situation is a mere reflex
2) natural = some groups just belong together and others as well and certain traits a ascribed to certain groups, so they narually express them, without exception

In all fairness, you need to look at both sides.

Yes! i learned this from watching fox news as well!

The "Rohingyas" are also fleeing

so they are fleeing

They are merely going home!

but now they are going home. I am confused?!
Maybe they should be happy about it! Fleeing just means they are heading home quickly!

There are many Chinese and Indians also residing in our homeland. Why cannot the Bangladeshis also live in harmony like them?

Dude, it is in their genes, don't you get it! We all know that chinese never did something wrong, not in the last 70 years or so. They have good genes. Go ask the tibetans. (I actually don't have anything against "the chinese" btw...)

It is not the culture nor the tradition of Myanmar people to discriminate foreigners.

Dude you actually just did exactly that!

The international media is certainly not a reliable source to do it.

It is because of that, that i only trust military dictatorships and their carefully drafted press releases.

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:31 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:This looks like Buddhist anti Rohingya propaganda
One would have to check whether there is indeed Rohingya on Burmese terrorism in Rakkhine state. It seems the international media are covering this issue in a one-sided manner. It is always good to try and see things from various angles.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:33 pm

Well its been my distinct impression that the anti Muslim view seems to dominate on this forum, there's been more terrorism from the Rakhine than the Rohynga, that's for sure.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

SDC

Post by SDC » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:50 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:Well its been my distinct impression that the anti Muslim view seems to dominate on this forum,.
Actually it hasn't. In almost every thread dedicated to this topic, the Burmese "Buddhists" were heavily criticized for their actions and most posts were in an effort to disassociate with these atrocities.

Perhaps you are conflating the more general anti Muslim sentiment that had been expressed here in the past in other topics and figured you would slip it in here for whatever reason? Well even in those cases there were only a handful of posters expressing such views; they surely were not dominant. And furthermore at least two of those members are no longer here.

Typically I would just let you have it, but I don't like seeing forum history rewritten on a careless whim.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:44 pm

I was speaking on the forum in general, and it was more than just a small handful of posters.

SDC

Post by SDC » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:13 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:I was speaking on the forum in general, and it was more than just a small handful of posters.
It was never enough to qualify as the dominant view of the forum, which is the story you are trying to tell everyone.

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:48 am

lyndon taylor wrote:Well its been my distinct impression that the anti Muslim view seems to dominate on this forum, there's been more terrorism from the Rakhine than the Rohynga, that's for sure.
What is the "anti Muslim" view?

I am going to assume your remark here refers to previous posts on this thread.

Saying there are two sides to every conflict and both should be investigated before having an opinion is not the same as taking sides.
AN 2.135
Bhikkhus, possessing two things, a foolish person... is blameworthy... generates much demerit. Which two? Without *investigating*... he believes a matter that merits suspicion...
The way I read this is we have to be always cautious before making ourselves an opinion, and we have to investigate the matter.

Did this thread include any investigation on the other, little covered side of this story before bundokji and I started posting (litterally at the same time btw)?

When encouraging people to investigate has become supporting one side?

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:28 am

Buddha Vacana wrote:
lyndon taylor wrote:Well its been my distinct impression that the anti Muslim view seems to dominate on this forum, there's been more terrorism from the Rakhine than the Rohynga, that's for sure.

He has already indicated that he is talking about the forum in general......
chownah

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 am

chownah wrote:
Buddha Vacana wrote:

He has already indicated that he is talking about the forum in general......
chownah
Yeah like someone walking in your street and says ha it stinks in here! And then: I was talking about the whole city, not just your street.

Meggo

Post by Meggo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:19 am

Buddha Vacana wrote: What is the "anti Muslim" view?
Saying there are two sides to every conflict and both should be investigated before having an opinion is not the same as taking sides.

Did this thread include any investigation on the other, little covered side of this story before bundokji and I started posting (litterally at the same time btw)?

When encouraging people to investigate has become supporting one side?
You actually haven't addressed my post, which you seem to point at here.
Where i talked about your friend. Where he seems to think certain countries belong to certain ethnicities and specific character traits are tied to those ethnicities (like harmony vs. disharmony). Where he describes refugees as merely going home and the international press as less trustworthy than that of a country which only a year ago has had it first "free" elections. So if you want to encourage people to go and investigate the other side then maybe you should do that yourself first, because pointing to the ramblings of a fascist friend of yours is certainly not a good argument, or is it?

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:49 am

SDC wrote:It was never enough to qualify as the dominant view of the forum, which is the story you are trying to tell everyone.
That depends on what is considered "anti-Muslim."
For some people, a person simply not being a Muslim constitutes "anti-Muslim."
Some other people are so intensely sensitive about the matter that even if one doesn't say anything negative about Muslims, but neither says anything positive about Muslims, they see this as anti-Muslim.