The 'silent crisis' of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Mr Man

Re: The 'silent crisis' of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh

Post by Mr Man » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:52 am

binocular wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:35 am
Meanwhile, I still don't know how there can be innocent victims when there is kamma.
Hi binocular
I don't think we need to think in terms of innocent (or the reverse guilty) in relation to kamma. Kamma is not a judge

I think it is also worth remembering (not that you have forgoten) is that the "'silent crisis' of Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh" is real with real people suffering unnecessarily.

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:17 am

binocular wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:35 am
chownah wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:18 am
Perhaps you would be relieved of your sighing if you had presented more than just "How can there be "innocent victims" when there is kamma??".....you presented it without any nuance and no detail, no other explanation or outlook.....the result was inciteful or should I say "in*sigh*tful.
I asked a question, but instead of reading it as a question, several posters read it as a rhetorical question (ie. not a question at all) and took it from there.
Meanwhile, I still don't know how there can be innocent victims when there is kamma.
Post as ye will. I'm just trying to show why you get to the "sigh". It matters not to me if you ask questions without any nuance and no detail, no other explanation or outlook. The result will just often bring you a *sigh*.
chownah

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 am

binocular wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:42 am
How do you know that??
I was quoting suttas. The suttas say kamma is intention (AN 6.63). According the suttas, it appears a person murdered or raped due to the hateful intention of another person rather than due to the intention of the victim. This seems to be why Buddhism teaches people to give up hateful intentions & practise the moral precepts. I have never read in Buddhism that a person is raped or murdered due their own intentions (kamma) alone, as follows:
Through greed a covetous man kills breathing things... through hate a malevolent man kills breathing things... through ignorance a deluded man kills breathing things… https://suttacentral.net/en/an3.66
As for what I personally "know", I have personally not experienced any hardships in life that I cannot identify the exact causes. For example when I five years old, I was getting a thrill from riding my scooter through broken glass, until I cut open my foot in the glass and had to get stitches in the hospital. I think the cause of my cut foot was the broken glass & negligence rather than past life kamma. I cannot recall any hardship in my life where the causes of that hardship is a mystery to me. Similarly, I have posted many causes for why the Rohingya may be persecuted. I think to think that these millions of people all committed a certain past life kamma so to be born in a certain location and then they all get persecuted for living in that location (which is oil & gas deposits) seems rather far fetched & ridiculous; similar to saying all who died in Hiroshima, Nagasaki or 9/11 all did a certain past life kamma to be in those locations at those specific times. It starts to sound so absurd & ridiculous that it doesn't sound like the view of a Buddha (Wise One). It sounds like another 9/11 conspiracy theory, such remote control planes, controlled demolition, found passports, false flag to attack Iraq & Muslims, MIC, US made anthrax, Bush claiming to see the 1st plane on TV, high tech caves in Afghanistan, $B$ insurance claim, past life kamma. 9/11 happened due to past life kamma rather than due to Osama Bin Laden living in a cave in Afghanistan :roll:
binocular wrote:
I'm not going to defend stances you merely imagine I hold.
Did this mean to say: "...not able to defend stances...?"
Saengnapha wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 am
Aren't the so called 'innocent recipients' experiencing their own ripening kamma? In Theravada, is there a kamma that is synonymous with prarabdha as taught in Vedanta?
Theosophical Society doctrine/dogma tends to view Buddhism in both a non-faith & interfaith manner. It has been quoted clearly on this thread:

1. The Pali suttas literally say there are "innocent" victims (SN 1.22; Iti 89; Dhp 137)

2. The Pali suttas define 'kamma' as 'intention' (AN 6.63).

3. The Pali suttas literally say attributing all fortune & misfortune to past kamma is a heretical doctrine that leaves a person defenseless or unprotected because they will not know what is skillful kamma that leads to protection (AN 3.61).

4. The Pali suttas literally say retribution or retaliation can occur due to present life past kamma. Example, Angulimala (MN 86) & Dhp 133.
Having approached the brahmans & contemplatives who hold that... 'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by what was done in the past,' I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by what was done in the past?" Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.' Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of what was done in the past. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of what was done in the past.' When one falls back on what was done in the past as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my first righteous refutation of those brahmans & contemplatives who hold to such teachings, such views.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
I think the view of Binocular in this case probably falls into the above view (highlighted in red), which the Buddha refuted (highlighted in green).
Last edited by DooDoot on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:22 am, edited 7 times in total.

Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 am

DooDoot wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 am
binocular wrote:
How do you know that??
I was quoting the suttas. The suttas say kamma is intention (AN 6.63). According the suttas, it appears a person murdered or raped due to the hateful intention of another person rather than due to the intention of the victim. This seems to be why Buddhism teaches people to give up hateful intentions & practise the moral precepts. I have never read in Buddhism that a person is raped or murdered due their own intentions (kamma) alone.

As for what I personally "know", I have personally not experienced any hardships in life that I cannot identify the exact causes. For example when I five years old, I was getting a thrill from riding my scooter through broken glass, until I cut open my foot in the glass and had to get stitches in the hospital. I think the cause of my cut foot was the broken glass & negligence rather than past life kamma. I cannot recall any hardship in my life where the causes of that hardship is a mystery to me. Similarly, I have posted many causes for why the Rohingya may be persecuted. I think to think that these millions of people all committed a certain past life kamma so to be born in a certain location and then they all get persecuted for living in that location (which is oil & gas deposits) seems rather far fetched & ridiculous; similar to saying all who died in Hiroshima, Nagasaki or 9/11 all did a certain past life kamma to be in those locations at those specific times. It starts to sound so absurd & ridiculous that it doesn't sound like the view of a Buddha (Wise One). It sounds like another 9/11 conspiracy theory, such remote control planes, controlled demolition, found passports, false flag to attack Iraq & Muslims, MIC, US made anthrax, Bush claiming to see the 1st plane on TV, high tech caves in Afghanistan, $B$ insurance claim, past life kamma. 9/11 happened due to past life kamma rather than due to Osama Bin Laden living in a cave in Afghanistan :roll:
binocular wrote:
Do you mean to say: "I'm not able to defend stances... I hold?"
Saengnapha wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:22 am
Aren't the so called 'innocent recipients' experiencing their own ripening kamma? In Theravada, is there a kamma that is synonymous with prarabdha as taught in Vedanta?
Theosophical Society doctrine/dogma tends to view Buddhism in both a non-faith & interfaith manner. It has been quoted clearly on this thread:

1. The Pali suttas literally say there are "innocent" victims (SN 1.22; Iti 89; Dhp 137)

2. The Pali suttas define 'kamma' as 'intention' (AN 6.63).

3. The Pali suttas literally say attributing all fortune & misfortune to past kamma is a heretical doctrine that leaves a person defensive or unprotected because they will not know what is skillful kamma that leads to protection (AN 3.61).

4. The Pali suttas literally say retribution or retaliation can occur due to present life past kamma. Example, Angulimala (MN 56) & Dhp 133.
Having approached the brahmans & contemplatives who hold that... 'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by what was done in the past,' I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by what was done in the past?" Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.' Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of what was done in the past. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of what was done in the past.' When one falls back on what was done in the past as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my first righteous refutation of those brahmans & contemplatives who hold to such teachings, such views.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
I think it appears quite plain & obvious the views of Binocular on this thread fall into the above view (highlighted in red), which the Lord Buddha refuted (highlighted in greed).
Thank you, Doo Doot. It's quite clear what you wrote.
Isn't the Angulimala sutta MN 86?

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 am

Saengnapha wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 am
Isn't the Angulimala sutta MN 86?
Yes. Thank you, also.

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:34 pm

DooDoot wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:45 am
The Pali suttas say "kamma is intention". Since the recipients of violence never intended to engage in violence, it is not related to kamma.
More precisely, kamma is volitional action. I agree it is not intended to explain the actions of others toward oneself, but rather the volitional actions which one performs when faced with circumstances. The fruits of kamma may ripen in other circumstances within oneself. For example, the Buddha's instructions to Angulimala when others struck him with stones was, "bear with it." My reading is that it is not kamma that other people struck Angulimala with stones. Rather, the fruit of kamma was was that his head was bleeding, his bowl was broken, etc. The people who struck him exercised the kamma of harming an innocent victim. Angulimala, a former mass killer, was, in the instance of being stoned, an innocent victim of stoning, kamma notwithstanding. https://accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn ... .than.html
'Sister since I was born with the noble birth, I have never purposely deprived a living being of life. By this truth may you and the infant be safe!'"
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/aut ... el312.html
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:37 pm

binocular wrote:
L.N. wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:01 am
How is it that a person who understands kamma would wish to highlight the theoretical past-life culpability of a child who has just been sliced in half and tossed in a river?
If only you'd have some compassion for the victim(s) of your virtue-signalling and strawmanning ...
Please do not personalize the conversation. This topic is not about me. This topic is not about you. I do not wish to respond to further personal comments from you, and I hope there will be no more. Please focus on what is written, not the characteristics of the people writing. Let us assume everyone here has good intentions until they clearly demonstrate otherwise.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:55 pm

'It would be good if I too died': Rape as weapon of war against Rohingya

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/17/asia/ ... index.html
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/

binocular

Post by binocular » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:54 pm

DooDoot wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 am
I was quoting suttas. The suttas say kamma is intention (AN 6.63). According the suttas, it appears a person murdered or raped due to the hateful intention of another person rather than due to the intention of the victim. This seems to be why Buddhism teaches people to give up hateful intentions & practise the moral precepts. I have never read in Buddhism that a person is raped or murdered due their own intentions (kamma) alone, as follows:
Neither have I, but you're clearly a proponent of the one-life doctrine, not of rebirth.
I think to think that these millions of people all committed a certain past life kamma so to be born in a certain location and then they all get persecuted for living in that location (which is oil & gas deposits) seems rather far fetched & ridiculous; similar to saying all who died in Hiroshima, Nagasaki or 9/11 all did a certain past life kamma to be in those locations at those specific times. It starts to sound so absurd & ridiculous that it doesn't sound like the view of a Buddha (Wise One)
If in one round, Jones kills Smith, and the next time around, Smith wants to retaliate and kill Jones, you think that's possibly the fruits of kamma. But if a bus of schoolchildren is blown up by terrorists, that somehow isn't ...

Again:
binocular wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:49 pm
It is my understanding that we cannot automatically rule out the possibility that at least some of the Rohingya are experiencing the fruits of their past actions.
/.../
I'm pointing at the distinction that just because someone is a victim, doesn't mean that they are innocent; they might be innocent, or not. But unless one can see other people's past lives and their kamma, there's no way of telling whether they are innocent or not.
binocular wrote:
Did this mean to say: "...not able to defend stances...?"
I said what I meant.
:rolleye:
3. The Pali suttas literally say attributing all fortune & misfortune to past kamma is a heretical doctrine that leaves a person defenseless or unprotected because they will not know what is skillful kamma that leads to protection (AN 3.61).
But you are the one doing such attribution, by summarily declaring _all_ the victims in a crime innocent, as if it were impossible that when a 100 people get killed, some of them could be experiencing the fruits of their past kamma..

If in one round, Jones kills Smith, and the next time around, Smith wants to retaliate and kill Jones, you think that's possibly the fruits of kamma. But if a bus of schoolchildren is blown up by terrorists, that somehow isn't ...
I think the view of Binocular in this case probably falls into the above view (highlighted in red), which the Buddha refuted (highlighted in green).
You're not reading what I'm saying.

L.N.

Post by L.N. » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:20 pm

binocular wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:54 pm
I'm pointing at the distinction that just because someone is a victim, doesn't mean that they are innocent; they might be innocent, or not. But unless one can see other people's past lives and their kamma, there's no way of telling whether they are innocent or not.
In the context of the Rohingya crisis, mass rape, and slaughter of children, this comment seems very much out of place, and it comes across as an excuse for Buddhists to rape and slaughter Muslims (by virtue of their purported past-life culpability which renders them deserving of their fate).

This all appears to be part of an ongoing effort by some here at DW to disparage Islam and its offshoots, even to the point of justifying the Rohingya tragedy in terms of the Buddhist teaching of kamma. Another example of a recent topic disparaging Islam: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30263

Such comments can be offensive to others and can harm the perception of Buddhism. For example, see this. I wish we would stop creating posts on DW which could be offensive to those of other faiths.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:32 pm

binocular wrote:
You're not reading what I'm saying.
I have read basically all that you posted to me & have responded carefully & systematically. My opinion is basically nothing much you have posted is related to either Buddhism or rebirth. Rebirth in Buddhism is about the results (vipaka) caused by intentional actions (kamma) of individuals. L.N. correctly wrote:
L.N. wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:34 pm
I agree it [kamma-vipaka] is not intended to explain the actions of others toward oneself, but rather the volitional actions which one performs when faced with circumstances.
The suttas say:
Intention, I tell you, is kamma. Intending, one does kamma by way of body, speech & intellect.

AN 6.63
In the case of a victim of crime, it is the doer of rape or murder engaged in the act of bodily kamma. It is the volition of the rapist or murderer performing the rape or murder.
binocular wrote:
But you are the one doing such attribution, by summarily declaring _all_ the victims in a crime innocent...
I did not ever declare all the victims in a crime are wholly innocent. I wrote that retaliation & retribution can occur.

In summary, my participation in the discussion commenced when I quoted many suttas that were contrary to the idea or view of: "How can there be "innocent victims" when there is kamma??" The Pali suttas say there can be innocent victims therefore this idea of the impossibility of innocence was demonstrated to be heretical or pernicious. :geek:
binocular wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:55 pm
How can there be "innocent victims" when there is kamma??
The kamma of many Rohingya is they have chosen to be Muslim. But this choice is not the cause of their demise. The cause of their demise is the kamma of those who volitionally act to rape & murder them.

I think these articles can remove any prejudice that may be obstructing hiri-ottappa:

Why the Arabs Don’t Want Us in Syria
They don’t hate ‘our freedoms.’ They hate that we’ve betrayed our ideals in their own countries—for oil.
By ROBERT F. KENNEDY, JR. February 22, 2016

In part because my father was murdered by an Arab, I've made an effort to understand the impact of U.S. policy in the Mideast and particularly the factors that sometimes motivate bloodthirsty responses from the Islamic world against our country. As we focus on the rise of the Islamic State and search for the source of the savagery that took so many innocent lives in Paris and San Bernardino, we might want to look beyond the convenient explanations of religion and ideology. Instead we should examine the more complex rationales of history and oil—and how they often point the finger of blame back at our own shores.

For Americans to really understand what’s going on, it’s important to review some details about this sordid but little-remembered history. During the 1950s, President Eisenhower and the Dulles brothers—CIA Director Allen Dulles and Secretary of State John Foster Dulles—rebuffed Soviet treaty proposals to leave the Middle East a neutral zone in the Cold War and let Arabs rule Arabia. Instead, they mounted a clandestine war against Arab nationalism—which Allen Dulles equated with communism—particularly when Arab self-rule threatened oil concessions. They pumped secret American military aid to tyrants in Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Iraq and Lebanon favoring puppets with conservative Jihadist ideologies that they regarded as a reliable antidote to Soviet Marxism. At a White House meeting between the CIA’s director of plans, Frank Wisner, and John Foster Dulles, in September 1957, Eisenhower advised the agency, “We should do everything possible to stress the ‘holy war’ aspect,” according to a memo recorded by his staff secretary, Gen. Andrew J. Goodpaster.

The CIA began its active meddling in Syria in 1949—barely a year after the agency’s creation. Syrian patriots had declared war on the Nazis, expelled their Vichy French colonial rulers and crafted a fragile secularist democracy based on the American model. But in March 1949, Syria’s democratically elected president, Shukri-al-Quwatli, hesitated to approve the Trans-Arabian Pipeline, an American project intended to connect the oil fields of Saudi Arabia to the ports of Lebanon via Syria. In his book, Legacy of Ashes, CIA historian Tim Weiner recounts that in retaliation for Al-Quwatli’s lack of enthusiasm for the U.S. pipeline, the CIA engineered a coup replacing al-Quwatli with the CIA’s handpicked dictator, a convicted swindler named Husni al-Za’im. Al-Za’im barely had time to dissolve parliament and approve the American pipeline before his countrymen deposed him, four and a half months into his regime.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ica-213601

The Truth About Radical Islam
November 5, 2017 (Tony Cartalucci - NEO)

The source of terrorism is not the Qu'ran - a book that few critics of Islam have even picked up let alone genuinely read - but rather a very easily traced money trail that leads to Washington and London.

It is indeed the Western World that has created, branded, and marketed "radical Islam," which is for all intents and purposes a strictly political tool designed to provoke direct Western military interventions where possible, and fight conflicts by proxy whenever direct military intervention is not possible.

In Syria and Iraq, the US has used its terrorist proxies to do both - first to fight the government of Damascus and its allies by proxy, and when that failed, to set a pretext for direct US military intervention.

Wahhabism - The Key to Arab Conquest

Part of "radical ignorance" includes a deep and profound ignorance of history. Understanding the actual inception of "radical Islam," more accurately known as Wahhabism, dispels many of the most virulent lies spread about Islam - that is has always been a barbaric, warlike ideology. Militant Islam is a relatively new phenomenon, invented by the House of Saud, then cultivated and exploited to its full potential by the British Empire and its American heirs.

The Ottoman Empire and mastery over the Arab World was coveted and contested by the British Empire. The promise of Arab independence was dangled over the heads of the founders of many of the dynasties now ruling Arabia - dynasties that were carved out through cults of personality and a violent misinterpretation of Islam known as Wahhabism. The British, after betraying the Arabs, would harness this political tool to do what all empires do best - divide and conquer - and specifically so regarding the Middle East and North Africa (MENA).

As the British Empire unraveled, the Americans picked up where London left off. The Saudis and their neighboring Persian Gulf kingdoms have been propped up by the West since the end of World War 1. Since World War 2, many of the same dynasties have sat in power, armed, funded, protected, and invited into some of the most lucrative business deals and economic activity in human history.

It was with members of the Muslim Brotherhood that the US attempted to overthrow current Syrian President Bashar Al Assad's father, Hafez al-Assad with. It was the US with the Saudis and factions within Pakistan's military and government who oversaw the very creation of militant groups like Al Qaeda to fight the Soviets in Afghanistan.

And it is to this very day still very much a US-European enterprise perpetuating the Saudi regime in Riyadh, arming it to the tune of hundreds of billions of dollars in weapons and military support, and using Riyadh admittedly as an intermediary through which Washington, London, and Brussels arm and fund the worst, most virulent terrorist organizations on Earth.

Even current US President Donald Trump - who regularly cites "radical Islam" as an enduring threat to America's national security, has signed off on immense weapon deals to the very nations the US uses to cultivate and perpetuate global terrorism.

http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com.au/20 ... islam.html

Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:38 pm

The current Rohingya situation in Burma is being discussed a lot these days, and the general narrative seems to be that the Muslim Rohingya are entirely victims, and the Buddhist Burmese are terrible and committing acts of genocide. Speaking against the Rohingya in any way seems to attract accusations of ‘Islamobhobia’. And there have even been calls to strip Aung San Suu Kyi of her Nobel Peace Prize for not speaking up loudly enough in favour of the Rohingya cause. To me, this situation seems to be imbalanced.
I do not condone violence. And I believe it is wrong to judge any people as bad merely on the basis of what religion they follow. However, I am a keen supporter of objectivity and of factual information. I would therefore like to share here two items - a video from BBC news on the issue, in which you will hear two sides of the story from two women whose backgrounds I have detailed below for those interested (it is good to know your sources); and an article on the history and background of this current situation.
I welcome any criticism by anyone who can demonstrate any factual errors in either source. I say that because I do not have a fixed view. I think this issue is worthy of open conversation, and I am against the idea that one should stick to one opinion and close ones ears and eyes to information that might challenge ones views. I believe ‘truth’ and ‘objectivity’ are far more important than ‘my’ views, if I had any.

Here is the video:

Here is also a detailed analysis of the history of this issue:
https://bdcburma.wordpress.com/2012/09/ ... ern-burma/
---------
Background on the two speakers in the video:
The first lady to speak on this issue is Sanam Shantyaei. According to her company France 24’s website, she is “a specialist on Iran coverage and the weekly host of Middle East Matters”. I struggled to find more info about her, there’s no wikipedia page on her, but to quote her profile on the website of the company she works for in full:
“She is a British-Iranian journalist with more than a decade's experience as a foreign correspondent and international news television producer. At France 24, she is notably a specialist on Iran coverage and the weekly host of Middle East Matters.”

The second lady to speak is Priscilla Clapp. She is currently a senior advisor to the U.S. Institute of Peace and the Asia Society. Here’s more about her:�During her 30-year career with the U.S. Government, Ms. Clapp served as chief of mission and permanent charge d’affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Burma (1999-2002), deputy chief of mission in the U.S. Embassy in South Africa (1993-96), principal deputy assistant aecretary of state for Refugee Programs (1989-1993), deputy political counselor in the U.S. Embassy in Moscow (1986-88), and chief of political-military affairs in the U.S. Embassy in Japan (1981-85). She also worked on the State Department's Policy Planning Staff, in the East Asian, Political Military and International Organizations bureaus, and with the U.S. Arms Control and Disarmament Agency.

Prior to government service, Ms. Clapp spent ten years in foreign policy and arms control research, with the MIT Center for International Studies and as a Research Associate at the Brookings Institution. She is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the International Institute for Strategic Studies.

Ms. Clapp’s books include: with Morton Halperin, "Bureaucratic Politics and Foreign Policy" (Brookings, 2006), with I.M. Destler et al., "Managing an Alliance: the Politics of U.S.-Japanese Relations" (Brookings, 1976), with Morton Halperin, "U.S.-Japanese Relations in the 1970's" (Harvard, 1974). She is a frequent media commentator and the author of numerous publications on Burma and U.S. Burma policy with USIP, the Brookings Institution, the East-West Center, Australia National University, the Asia Society, the National Bureau of Asian Research, Singapore’s ISEAS and others.
-----------
If anyone can clearly disprove any of Ms. Clapp’s statements in the video, or any of the historical information in the article, I welcome you to comment with your reasoning and references. I am not posting these because I have verified all of the information myself and these are not my own opinions. Rather, I am posting them because I have no reason to believe they contain false data (except for Sanam Shantyaei's data as first speaker in the video). And because it seems the general information in the public discourse appears to be biased, incomplete, and inaccurate.

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:01 am

Rohingya crisis: 'It's not genocide,' say Myanmar's hardline monks

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/25/asia/ ... index.html
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Bangladesh-Myanmar agreement on Rohingya refugees revealed

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/27/asia/ ... index.html