POTUS 2017

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
cjmacie

Re: POTUS 2017

Post by cjmacie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:39 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings cjmacie,
cjmacie wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Interesting reading re: surveillance investigation (PDF)....
Interesting in what way?
Given your total lack of concern about government over-reach, government corruption and government invasions of privacy expressed here then I retract my words... It will probably not constitute interesting reading for you. Nor will you want to forego two minutes watching this...
I spent hours yesterday researching, reading about and listening to Larry Klayman; it started to feel a health threat following that line of thought. In classical Chinese medical terms, he's a prime example of YangQiao pathology. That may seem cryptic, but basically it's not being able to accept the external context of his life, to an excessive (pathological) degree. I mean, look, he files lawsuits at the drop of a hat -- hundreds it seems -- and is so proud of 1% of the time getting a judge not to summarily dismiss him. Such conceit, and pretense of doing good.

You find him a sort of hero? You're into a bodhisattva sort of thing? (engaging the wheel of dhamma secondary to redeeming the wheel of samsara.)

From the dhamma perspective, a memorable quotation from Stephen Levine (that he no doubt quoted from elsewhere) -- the world out there (samara) is much too big for one to try to control (change), BUT it's the perfect size for letting go of.

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 am

robertk

Post by robertk » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Stephen Levine (that he no doubt quoted from elsewhere) -- the world out there (samara) is much too big for one to try to control (change), BUT it's the perfect size for letting go of
Levine is brilliant :sage: :anjali:

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:54 am

Is it fake news?
Donald Trump’s Russia scandal may have moved closer to impeachment amid reports that former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn may have flipped on the president and is now working with the FBI on the investigation against Trump.
http://www.inquisitr.com/4090747/donald ... -with-fbi/

pulga

Post by pulga » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:02 pm

One unnamed source tells Ms. Kayyem that Flynn "might" have flipped on President Trump, and she announces it to the world. True or not, it's the sort of irresponsible third-rate journalism that CNN has descended to.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Greetings,

Clarification received from Kayyem...

Mr Man wrote:Is it fake news?
If it's presented as a theory or as speculation, then no.

If it's presented as truth or as part of a body of "mounting evidence", then yes.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Jetavan

Post by Jetavan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:50 pm

May we live in interesting times.

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:11 am

Mr Man wrote:Is it fake news?
It certainly is rumor mongering. To the extent that rumor mongering is fake news then it is fake news. A question for people who remember "journalism" and those who remember that it used to be that "journalists" had a certain form of "ethics": didn't it used to be that the "news" was something reported by "journalists" and that "journalists" did not engage in "rumor mongering" because it went contrary to their "code of ethics"?

Long ago when there were "journalists" they had a quaint sense of honesty. When I say "they" I mean alot of people....but in general "they" did not include politicians. Those quaint people long ago who valued "truth" saw "journalists" as a refreshing change from and buffer for politicians.

So, is it fake news? Well, it certainly isn't the news the way the news used to be.
chownah

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 am

Now no one can deny Mr Trump is a liar at a pathological level.

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/ ... 4869018625

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:43 pm

From the Senate Intelligence Committee hearings into Russian interference in the US elections.

Clinton Watts talks about "active measures".

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4664397/ ... ts-3302017

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:49 pm

And this -

Mike Flynn Offers to Testify in Exchange for Immunity

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mike-flynn ... 9?mod=e2tw

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:58 am

Greetings,

Or, minus the #fakenews spin...

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:20 am

So know Flynn's lawyer is a more credible source than the Wall Street Journal????? How low have we sunk????
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

pulga

Post by pulga » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:27 am

Brings to mind the Salem witch trials.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:51 am

Greetings,
pulga wrote:Brings to mind the Salem witch trials.
But Russia!... But Hitler!... But Nazis!... But fascism!...

Metta,