POTUS 2017

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
pulga

Re: POTUS 2017

Post by pulga » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:03 am

chownah wrote: If his statement is meant to say that he has no intention of letting it expire then why didn't he just come out and clearly say that?
President Trump's way of dealing with the DACA dilemma may not be quite the same as Obama's. I don't know what exacttly he has in mind, but the matter is still weighing on him. Here is a briefing he gave just today. Most of it relates to tax reform, but he also mentions DACA. As for personal income taxes, he has no plans to lower taxes on the rich, and if need be, he will raise them. (This was an idea that Steve Bannon floated about a couple of months ago.)

pulga

Post by pulga » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:53 pm

A nice story from The Washington Post :

Trump lets an 11-year-old boy mow the White House lawn

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:57 am

pulga wrote:A nice story from The Washington Post :

Trump lets an 11-year-old boy mow the White House lawn
Yeah. The boy is from Falls Church, VA which is part of the Wasington metropolitan area. According to wikipedia "In 2011, Falls Church was named the richest county in the United States, with a median annual household income of $113,313."

From the article"Giaccio, who works for the U.S. Office of Special Counsel — an agency with oversight over federal employees, not to be confused with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III and the investigation into Russian interference with the 2016 election — declined to say who he supported in the race, citing the Hatch Act. But he said Frank, the oldest of four children, began supporting Trump early in the Republican primary debates."

Very cute.....intentionally very cute. When will we get to see trump petting some kittens?
chownah

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:47 am

chownah wrote: Very cute.....intentionally very cute. When will we get to see trump petting some kittens?
That would be great.

Remember this is from Bezos's The Washington Post. It went out of its way not only to present a positive story, but to provide all the facts as well.
Frank had previously written to President Barack Obama, Giaccio added, but only got a form letter in response.
Perhaps the President is being rewarded for his recent bipartisanship.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:26 am

Five weeks after hurricane Maria slammed into Puerto Rico, President Donald Trump’s team has only managed to restore power for a mere 26 percent of the island’s 3.5 million U.S. citizens.

Meanwhile the tiny Trump-linked energy contractor that won a $300-million no-bid contract to rebuild the grid, Whitefish Energy, is also under fire.

One businessman, however, has already started to deliver on his promise to help Puerto. Elon Musk has used Tesla’s solar panels and battery storage to turn the power back on San Juan’s Children’s Hospital — and he did it free of charge.

San Juan’s Hospital del Nino serves some 3,000 children on the island, with three dozen critically ill patients who need around-the-clock care.
Rooftop solar keeps the DESI Power's office running in during August’s flood in India. Source: DESI Power
Stunning chart reveals how badly Trump has bungled Puerto Rico’s grid rebuild

Time to let Tesla’s Elon Musk do the job?

In a viral Instagram post, Musk explained, “Hospital del Niño (Children’s Hospital) is the first of many solar+battery Tesla projects going live in Puerto Rico. Glad to help support the recovery. Congrats to the Tesla team for working 24/7 to make this happen as fast as possible.” ...
https://thinkprogress.org/tesla-restore ... 1d79f4db1/

:woohoo: and :clap: Musk, :toilet: Trump.

:namaste:
Kim

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:13 pm

Don't thank Musk, thank the American taxpayers.

If Tesla Is Worth More Than GM, Why Are Taxpayers Still Subsidizing It?

Subsidies Are Hiding Elon Musk's Certain Entrepreneurial Genius

As for the dubious contract with Whitefish Energy Holdings, I think it has more to do with the corruption of the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority than the Trump Administration. Congress is looking into it, so I suppose we'll eventually find out.

Whitefish Puerto Rico contract stirs controversy

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:10 pm

pulga wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:13 pm

The issue of Trump's pathetic inaction is not the same as the issue of state subsidies to a car maker. Even if it were, the articles you link to would not be good evidence. From that link:
The big news in the auto world was that Tesla (TSLA) topped the market value of General Motors (GM). That means the car company that gets massive taxpayer subsidies is now worth more than the car company taxpayers bailed out a few years ago. ...
This isn't to say that traditional automakers don't get government assistance. Bailing out GM cost taxpayers $11.3 billion, according to the Treasury Department. But adding more crony capitalism to the books isn't the answer. Getting rid of all forms of corporate welfare is. If that means Tesla's valuation comes back down to Earth, so be it.
:thinking:
Kim

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:54 am

pulga wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:13 pm

The article doesn't really answer the question....and the question itself has been sharpened to a fine point with which to skewer Tesla. A better question might be why do american taxpayers subsidize electric vehicles since ALL auto manufacturers who make electric vehicles can and do receive the exact same subsidies.

So, I'm wondering if you want to take a swing at the question why do american taxpayers subsidize electric vehicles? I have my own answer which is that there were enough people in the gov't with enough power and enough vision to see that electric vehicles are or will become in every way better than internal combustion driven vehicles and that society at large INCLUDING the manufacturing sector and the economy as a whole will benefit greatly if the move to electric vehicles is given a SMALL subsidy......I capitalize SMALL because the subsidies given to the fossil fuel industry and to auto manufacturers (don't forget bailouts) are HUGE in comparison.
chownah

pulga

Post by pulga » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:52 pm

There is nothing wrong is subsidizing industries so long as it is done in a thoughtful and prudent manner. One of the great scandals of the Obama Administration was the tens of billions of dollars it squandered in handing out money to alternative energy corporations which had no viable business models. The media pretty much suppressed the story due to bias and intimidation. It was by delving into the scandal that CBS News's Sheryl Attkisson had her computer hacked by Eric Holder's DOJ. She eventually left CBS in part because the network which is run by Ben Rhodes's brother David refused to go public with her findings.

While I think it is commendable that Tesla restored power to the Children's Hospital, the company is so heavily subsidized by various branches of the government that it is ultimately the taxpayers who footed the bill. The hospital is only one of 67 hospitals on the island that at one point was without power. The task to rebuild Puerto Rico is monumental, and the U.S. government is doing its best to assist in that rebuilding. Whereas in Texas and Florida state and local governments -- as well as private charities -- stepped in to fill the gaps that were missed by the federal effort, it seems Puerto Rico is lacking in all these subsidiary sources of help. That along with the sheer devastation that the island suffered, has made the logistics of dealing with the problem exponentially more difficult.

Thankfully the Trump Administration is making progress.

Power Restoration Remains Top Concern In Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands

The long-term challenge is to nudge Puerto Rico towards some semblance of economic independence and prosperity, and not to let it collapse into a society totally dependent on federal welfare. The President has alluded to this, though he was a little premature in doing so and his lack of tact of course has resulted in a vicious left-wing backlash.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:35 pm

pulga wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:52 pm
The task to rebuild Puerto Rico is monumental, and the U.S. government is doing its best to assist in that rebuilding.
Do you think that trump is doing his best to assist in the rebuilding? I don't.
chownah

pulga

Post by pulga » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:50 pm

chownah wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:35 pm

What more do you expect? Keep in mind that Puerto Rico is a sovereign commonwealth, a commonwealth renown for its incompetence and corruption. I can understand President Trump's reluctance to merely throw money at the problem.

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:14 am

pulga wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:50 pm
chownah wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:35 pm

What more do you expect? Keep in mind that Puerto Rico is a sovereign commonwealth, a commonwealth renown for its incompetence and corruption. I can understand President Trump's reluctance to merely throw money at the problem.
When there was disaster in texas the gov't threw money at the problem.....when there was a disaster in florida the gov't threw money at the problem. This is done to provide disaster aid for the safety and health of american citizens. Why is puerto rico any different?

If american businesses (not even citizens, just businesses) were worried that a popularly elected gov't in central america might interfere with their control of the countries dictatorial gov't the US gov't sent in the marines. In puerto rico there are millions of american citizens (not businesses only but actual citizens....you know...PEOPLE) at risk of health and safety issues....AND....the US gov't initially refused to lift the shipping restrictions for ships taking aid to puerto rico.....the reason given was that it would take business away from american businesses at state side ports!!!!!!!

What more could trump have done? For example, he could have airlifted heavy military equipment to clear an airfield using helicopters within 48 hours of the storms abatement and immediaetly started airlifting emergency supplies to the island. Do you remember how west berilin was supplied during the east german blockade?....how differently the US responds to the problems of a rich ally as opposed to an island of brown skinned people.

Trump doesn't seem to be concerned about much except to play to his supporters and to protect his own fragile ego.

chownah
P.S. You should read up on puerto rican history. They tried for independence many times but were not allowed. People should figure out why.
chownah

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:44 am

Greetings,
chownah wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:14 am
Trump doesn't seem to be concerned about much except to play to his supporters and to protect his own fragile ego.
I try not to say much on Trump here lest certain people get triggered, but for him to cop the amount of abuse he does from the mainstream media etc., and for him to still be confident and strong as a leader (whether or not you like him or his policies is another matter altogether), I can't see how anyone can honestly say in any seriousness that he has a "fragile ego". A man with a "fragile ego" would have been broken by what Trump has been subjected to over the past 18 months. If anything, he is growing stronger... meanwhile, it's his opponents who seem to be the ones who are broken.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:39 am

Yes, he's clearly not fragile. He presumably just uses whatever tactics he thinks will get what he wants, whatever that is...

:heart:

Mike

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:55 am

chownah wrote:
When there was disaster in texas the gov't threw money at the problem.....when there was a disaster in florida the gov't threw money at the problem. This is done to provide disaster aid for the safety and health of american citizens. Why is puerto rico any different?
pulga wrote:Keep in mind that Puerto Rico is a sovereign commonwealth, a commonwealth renown for its incompetence and corruption. I can understand President Trump's reluctance to merely throw money at the problem.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:00 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:39 am
Yes, he's clearly not fragile. He presumably just uses whatever tactics he thinks will get what he wants, whatever that is...

Hi Mike
I don't think being "fragile" and having a "fragile ego" are really the same thing.

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:44 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:44 am
Greetings,
chownah wrote:
I try not to say much on Trump here lest certain people get triggered, but for him to cop the amount of abuse he does from the mainstream media etc., and for him to still be confident and strong as a leader (whether or not you like him or his policies is another matter altogether), I can't see how anyone can honestly say in any seriousness that he has a "fragile ego". A man with a "fragile ego" would have been broken by what Trump has been subjected to over the past 18 months. If anything, he is growing stronger... meanwhile, it's his opponents who seem to be the ones who are broken.

Metta,
Paul. :)
I guess your definition of fragile ego does not apply to trump but if you go out on the internet and see how various people define 'fragile ego' I think you will see that using some of those definitions trump seems to definitely have a fragile ego.....combative comes to mind.
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 am

Pseudobabble wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:55 am
chownah wrote:
pulga wrote:Keep in mind that Puerto Rico is a sovereign commonwealth, a commonwealth renown for its incompetence and corruption. I can understand President Trump's reluctance to merely throw money at the problem.
The residents of puerto rico are american citizens. So what's your point?
chownah

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:01 am

chownah wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 am
chownah
You asked him about the difference between Puerto Rico, and Texas, Florida. He had already said what the difference was.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:01 am
chownah wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:46 am
chownah
You asked him about the difference between Puerto Rico, and Texas, Florida. He had already said what the difference was.
You did not decifer my intended meaning. What I wanted to convey is that Texans, Floridians, and Puerto Ricans are all equally american citizens and so all of them are equally entitled to the protection which the usa provides for all its citizens.
chownah