POTUS 2017

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
pulga

Re: POTUS 2017

Post by pulga » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:31 am

chownah wrote: Trump could have waited to see if there was any reason to pardon him or not but if he had waited and if the sentence was inconsequential it would rob trump of the chance to propogandize the event. By pardoning him before sentencing let's his supporters (and others) to fantasize how awful it would be to do such a horrible thing to such an old man like throwing him in jail and with him having such fragile health....how cruel and uncaaring is the judicial system sometimes and how compassionate is our man pres. trump.
Good point. The President should have waited until Arpaio was actually sentenced.

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:30 am

pulga wrote:(SPEAKING OF THE PARDONED SHERIFF): He's an 85-year-old man in poor health: jail-time would have most certainly shortened his life considerably if not ended it.
Wow! This old man in poor health is thinking of running for the US Senate.

Sheriff pardoned by Trump may run for US Senate: report
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sheriff-pard ... 19910.html
I'm worried that this might shorten his life considerably :jumping: :rofl: :jumping:
How naive we are!
chownah

pulga

Post by pulga » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:36 am

chownah wrote: Wow! This old man in poor health is thinking of running for the US Senate.
Love him or hate him, Arpaio is not a quitter. He'll be thinking that way on his deathbed.

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:16 pm

pulga wrote:
chownah wrote: Wow! This old man in poor health is thinking of running for the US Senate.
Love him or hate him, Arpaio is not a quitter. He'll be thinking that way on his deathbed.
Yeah, he'll continue to do everything he can to get people to act on his racist impulses....that is why he should be in jail. It is beyond the pale that a life long racist who acts out criminal contempt of court by acting out racist policies should be pardoned so that he can continue to work for action impementing racism.
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:03 am

I'm not wanting to be too aggressive on the issue of the pardon but I do think that it is really a threat to democratic principles for various reasons and here is a humorous explanation which I think pretty covers the various aspects:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49CKGw8DXcw
chownah

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:18 am

Trump review leans toward proposing mini-nuke

So that's it. Trump is looking to make the use of nuclear bombs fashionable again. And the media are cheering it between the lines.

I dont even raise the issue of the DACA in which the US government becomes a threat to people born on US soil who have never lived anywhere else.

It looks like every single thing we have warned about and been railed for as being overly alarmist when discussing Trump is actually happening.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:17 am

I dont even raise the issue of the DACA in which the US government becomes a threat to people born on US soil who have never lived anywhere else.
Just a clarifiction. DACA is about children born outside the US who were brought to the US by their parents who were undocumented immigrants.....and have lived in the US almost all of their lives.
chownah

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:22 am

chownah wrote:
Just a clarifiction. DACA is about children born outside the US who were brought to the US by their parents who were undocumented immigrants.....and have lived in the US almost all of their lives.
chownah
Indeed, my bad. Thanks for pointing this out.

It makes it sound a bit less horrendous, although in many cases it probably makes little difference.

Anyway, of much greater concern is Trump administration's agitation for nuclear warfare, with backing from the war industry and the mainstream media.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:45 am

Pope launches thinly veiled attack on Trump, saying: 'History will judge climate change deniers'

The Pope also hopes Trump will reconsider his decision to end Daca

...Asked whether politicians have a responsibility to work with other countries to prevent climate change, the Pope responded: “All of us have a responsibility, all of us, small or large, a moral responsibility."

"We have to take it seriously. We can’t joke about it,” he added. “Each person has their own. Even politicians have their own.”

His Holiness spoke as Hurricane Irma pummelled Florida with punishing wind and rain. Days before, Hurricane Harvey had submerged parts of Texas in massive floods. Some experts predict the combined damage could cost the US economy up to $290bn.

Scientists have long warned that the warming of the Earth's oceans and atmosphere could strengthen future hurricanes. The latest storms marked the first time two Category 4 hurricanes had hit the continental US in a single hurricane season.

“If we don’t turn back, we will go down,” Pope Francis told reporters ominously. ...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 40851.html

I'm with the Pope on this. :smile:
And I can't actually think of anything on which I'm with Trump. :shrug:

:thumbsup:
Kim

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:58 am

Buddha Vacana wrote:...Anyway, of much greater concern is Trump administration's agitation for nuclear warfare, with backing from the war industry and the mainstream media.
Any documentation for this assertion? (Other than partisan commentators.)

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:10 am

cjmacie wrote:
Buddha Vacana wrote:...Anyway, of much greater concern is Trump administration's agitation for nuclear warfare, with backing from the war industry and the mainstream media.
Any documentation for this assertion? (Other than partisan commentators.)
Is there even anything controversial here? Articles from all sides of the establishment offer thinly veiled support and they are not difficult to come by. I suppose you know how to use google news or some other news aggregator, don't you?

pulga

Post by pulga » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:06 am

chownah wrote: Just a clarifiction. DACA is about children born outside the US who were brought to the US by their parents who were undocumented immigrants.....and have lived in the US almost all of their lives.
chownah
The mainstream media isn't much reporting the fact that the Texas Attorney General was on the verge of challenging DACA in court. It clearly was unconstitutional and would never have withstood the challenge. President Trump did the right thing in ending the program, delaying its rescindment six months in order to give Congress time to pass legally binding legislation that deals with the issue. U.S. immigration law shouldn't be up to the whim of whoever happens to be President.

DACA lawsuit dropped, Texas AG says

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:09 am

I wouldn't think the opinion of the Texas Attorney General as representative of the law of the country at all!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:53 am

Buddha Vacana wrote:... thinly veiled support and they are not difficult to come by...
Oh, so it's not that explicit?
Buddha Vacana wrote:...agitation for nuclear warfare...
Perhaps that too is waffling on the question?
Buddha Vacana wrote:I suppose you know how to use google news or some other news aggregator, don't you?
Double cop-out.

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 pm

pulga wrote:
chownah wrote: Just a clarifiction. DACA is about children born outside the US who were brought to the US by their parents who were undocumented immigrants.....and have lived in the US almost all of their lives.
chownah
The mainstream media isn't much reporting the fact that the Texas Attorney General was on the verge of challenging DACA in court. It clearly was unconstitutional and would never have withstood the challenge. President Trump did the right thing in ending the program, delaying its rescindment six months in order to give Congress time to pass legally binding legislation that deals with the issue. U.S. immigration law shouldn't be up to the whim of whoever happens to be President.

DACA lawsuit dropped, Texas AG says
I agree with your idea somewhat but not completely. I think it would be much better if congress passed some legislation but I think the most important thing from a humanitarian standpoint is for whoever sees that children brought here and living here all (or mostly all I guess) of their formative years in the usa should be given a direct path to stay....whoever sees that should implement it if they can.....even if it is the janitor.
Warning.....my bias is always for liberal immigration laws.
chownah

pulga

Post by pulga » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:21 pm

chownah wrote: I agree with your idea somewhat but not completely. I think it would be much better if congress passed some legislation but I think the most important thing from a humanitarian standpoint is for whoever sees that children brought here and living here all (or mostly all I guess) of their formative years in the usa should be given a direct path to stay....whoever sees that should implement it if they can.....even if it is the janitor.
Warning.....my bias is always for liberal immigration laws.
During the campaign Donald Trump's contention against DACA wasn't so much the policy itself, but that it was an act of executive overreach. He has said that if Congress fails to act after six months that he'll step in to resolve the matter. Just from his statements it's apparent that he has a lot of empathy for the immigrants who find themselves in such a dilemma. There are those from the right who complain of jobs being made unavailable to citizens because of DACA, but I haven't heard such talk from the President himself.

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 pm

He has said that if Congress fails to act after six months that he'll step in to resolve the matter
Whatever that means.....
chownah

pulga

Post by pulga » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:24 pm

chownah wrote: Whatever that means.....
Hopefully Congress will do its job and we won't have to wait to find out, though the impression that I get is that he has no intention of simply letting the program expire.

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi cjmacie,

How are you today? Practiced some Metta, by any chance?

Your persistent aggressiveness never ceases to surprise me.
cjmacie wrote:
Buddha Vacana wrote:... thinly veiled support and they are not difficult to come by...
Oh, so it's not that explicit?
Have I ever said it was explicit? Scroll up and look at the expression I used from the beginning, "between the lines".

cjmacie wrote:
Buddha Vacana wrote:...agitation for nuclear warfare...
Perhaps that too is waffling on the question?
The evidence is just a few clicks of the mouse or taps of the fingers away, my friend. I assumed you were grown up enough to find it on your own.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 3326625792

Trump panel said to be pushing for 'mini nukes' to make nuclear strikes easier

Mr. Trump has not spoken of any such reduction, in the number of weapons or the scope of the overhaul, and his warning to North Korea a few weeks ago that he would meet any challenge with “fire and fury” suggested that he may not subscribe to the view of most past presidents that the United States would never use such weapons in a first strike.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/27/us/p ... ml?mcubz=0
So, friend, I will tell you only this once: I won't indulge your sea-lioning any more and will simply ignore your attacks from now on.

Have a nice day, regardless.
:hello:

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:47 am

pulga wrote:
chownah wrote: Whatever that means.....
Hopefully Congress will do its job and we won't have to wait to find out, though the impression that I get is that he has no intention of simply letting the program expire.
If his statement is meant to say that he has no intention of letting it expire then why didn't he just come out and clearly say that?
chownah