Thai police raid Dhammakaya temple in hunt for wanted monk

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
chownah

Re: Thai police raid Dhammakaya temple in hunt for wanted monk

Post by chownah » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 am

TRobinson465 wrote:As fun as this is chownah. This isn't a thread on the self. If we're gonna post on this thread let's stay more relavent.

:focus:
You said you didn't see the connection....show I explained how I saw it. I'm not trying to make this a thread on the self but since buddhism is the focus of this forum I think that in a situation like this where both sides are clearly and obviously getting their self views in the way of seeing things as they really are I think it is very much on topic....but I'm just making this observation and not wanting to get into a big discussion of anatta as there are enough topics on it already.
chownah

jameswang

Post by jameswang » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 am

chownah wrote:
TRobinson465 wrote:
chownah wrote:
I think it is clear what I mean. It is a simple question....actually two questions but I think the second one is the one you are concerned with. Is it better to have wats which appropriate public land for its own use or to have a ruthless dictatorship which returns public lands to the public?
Simple really. Can you explain what you fail to understand?....or discuss some aspect of where answering the question might lead? I'm going to guess that it might lead to someplace which threatens your personal concept of self.....but I am only guessing....I may very well be comletely wrong.....
chownah
LOL. okay. i dont understand how self is involved here.
I am only guessing and might be completely wrong but I think that you identify with damakaya and anything which might be construed to sully its (and by your self indetification "your") reputation will lead you to contend against that anything. This is one major way that the delusional self makes mischief....I think....don't know for sure....
chownah
I've a solution here for the 'self' issue. I've someone (just one) on my ignore list. (You'll just have to mark the person as "foe".) It saves myself a lot of time-suck.

jameswang

Post by jameswang » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:56 am

gavesako wrote:Phra Dhammachayo might claim to have worked all sorts of miracles, but he cannot credibly claim detachment in the true Buddhist sense.
In other words, he has a lot to prove. It doesn’t matter whether, as claimed, he can see how the deceased (including Steve Jobs) are doing in other worlds. Nor does it matter whether he was “invited” to descend from heaven to make Buddhism greater, or is able to travel across the cosmos in the blink of an eye.
What does matter is that men of genuine spirituality don’t run away; they face the fire.
Neither do true religious leaders use politics as an excuse to hide behind. In fact, they must stay away from politics at all costs.
Lord Buddha founded and fostered Buddhism at a time when Northern India knew nothing of democracy and was ruled by absolute monarchies. Most importantly, perhaps, credible religious leaders don’t portray themselves as victims, are forgiving and encourage their followers to do the same.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/op ... t/30307533
Yup, not walking the talk.

Btw, with all his supposed powers, why do his followers need to protect him? If I were them, I'd have faith in his powers, and eagerly wait to see how he deals with those wretched junta guys....

gavesako

Post by gavesako » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Dhammakaya deputy abbot accused of using temple funds for share trading

Dhammakaya Temple deputy abbot Phra Thatthacheevo used temple funds to trade in stocks according to available evidence, the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has alleged.

Pol Pakorn Sucheevakun, who heads the DSI Bureau of Financial and Banking Crime, said on Wednesday that Phra Thattacheevo might be charged with abuse of authority under Article 157 of the Criminal Code because a deputy abbot could be seen as an official.

“He has used money from the temple’s bank account for buying stocks,” Pakorn said, “There’s clear evidence.”

Phra Thattacheevo is now an acting abbot.

He was elevated to the post after authorities stepped up efforts to bring the temple’s controversial former abbot Phra Dhammachayo to justice. Phra Dhammachayo – wanted for alleged money laundering – was appointed the honorary abbot.

After becoming the top monk at the Dhammakaya Temple, Phra Thattacheevo has himself faced several legal proceedings.

Phra Thatthacheevo turned himself in at the Pathum Thani Klong 5 Police Station to hear a charge of resisting a junta order. Phra Dhammachayo, meanwhile, remains at large.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/br ... s/30309231

10 Dhammakaya monks report to face charges of resisting NCPO order

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309117
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

Access to Insight - Theravada texts
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
Dhammatalks.org - Sutta translations

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:03 am

While I am sure that many will find a temple buying stocks (shares) distasteful I am wondering about the legality of this for the discussion here. This thread is about the legalities surrounding the dammakaya temple so does anyone know here if it is legal for a temple to use its funds to purchase stock (shares)?
chownah

santa100

Post by santa100 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:32 am

Surprise surprise. When will people ever learn that monks are just humans like everyone else! If lay supporters allow their abbot to keep tons of money and tons of power, of course the dude will go rogue. What else do you expect? Want to fix the problem at its root? Stop giving your abbot money and power. It's that easy. Why the heck would a monk need much money anyway? Look at our Buddha, He only had 3 robes, 1 bowl, and walked barefoot to the villages for alms round. Had He been here nowadays, imagine how utterly disappointed He must've felt seeing the way His senior disciples conduct themselves. But those abbots won't be able to go rogue if every lay supporter play their part by not allowing them such suitable conditions to do so.

gavesako

Post by gavesako » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 am

chownah wrote:While I am sure that many will find a temple buying stocks (shares) distasteful I am wondering about the legality of this for the discussion here. This thread is about the legalities surrounding the dammakaya temple so does anyone know here if it is legal for a temple to use its funds to purchase stock (shares)?
chownah

It is certainly against the Thai Sangha law which is why there is now a legal case against the Dhammakaya acting abbot.

While some would argue that keeping all the troublesome money rules in the Vinaya is no longer relevant or even desirable today, and that monks have never really kept those rules anyway, here is an article describing the gradual degeneration of the Vinaya observance with the growing abundance of monetary gifts bestowed on the Sangha in India:

Was The Buddha Really A Businessman?
http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2010/02/w ... ssman.html
Bhikkhu Gavesako

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 pm

gavesako wrote:
chownah wrote:While I am sure that many will find a temple buying stocks (shares) distasteful I am wondering about the legality of this for the discussion here. This thread is about the legalities surrounding the dammakaya temple so does anyone know here if it is legal for a temple to use its funds to purchase stock (shares)?
chownah

It is certainly against the Thai Sangha law which is why there is now a legal case against the Dhammakaya acting abbot.
Previously you posted that nation multimedia reported that:
"Pol Pakorn Sucheevakun, who heads the DSI Bureau of Financial and Banking Crime, said on Wednesday that Phra Thattacheevo might be charged with abuse of authority under Article 157 of the Criminal Code because a deputy abbot could be seen as an official."
This doesn't sound like Thai Sangha law. Are you saying that in addition to the DSI charges there are also Thai Sangha law charges?...or am I mistaken and is Article 157 from the Thai Sangha law?
chownah

gavesako

Post by gavesako » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:02 pm

Obviously there are some rules about what monastery funds can be used for (paying bills, repairing buildings, etc.). But buying and selling company shares to make profit is not appropriate.

As the monk is serving as a state official in the post of deputy abbot of the temple, he is bound by Section 157 of the Criminal Code governing malfeasance, the officials said.

http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1 ... alfeasance

Dhammakaya monk played stock market with KCUC money

Prosecutors allege that Phra Dattajivo, the former acting abbot of Wat Phra Dhammakaya, used about 1 billion baht received from the Klongchan Credit Union Cooperative to invest in and manipulate the stock market, using nominees.
Kachornsak Buddhanuphap, senior prosecutor at the Department of Investigation of the Office of the Attorney General, said on Thursday that examination of past financial transactions revealed the money trail.
Phra Dattajivo had other monks and lay people invest about 1 billion baht when he was acting abbot of the temple from 2010 to 2016.
Evidence clearly showed that the money had been transferred from Klongchan Credit Union Cooperative by Supachai Srisupa-aksorn, he said.
Supachai is a former chairman of the KCUC, treasurer of the temple and close aide to Phra Dhammajayo, the founder and former abbot of Wat Phra Dhammakaya. Supachai was sentenced to 16 years in jail after he confessed to embezzling more than 10 billion baht from the credit union's members.
"Although Phra Dattajivo did not use his name in stock trades, it is believed that groups of people and businessmen acted as nominees who both invested in and manipulated shares," Mr Kachornsak said.
"Donations from the Klongchan cooperative were not transferred to the temple at all. Wat Phra Dhammakaya has only about 100 rai of land. Many of the buildings and land plots were not given to the monastery," he said.
Public prosecutors will question Phra Maha Boonchai Jaruthatto, who supervised the financial affairs of the temple, officials of the Office of the Securities and Exchange Commission and the brokers who had handled the stock investment by Phra Dattajivo's nominees, Mr Kachornsak said.

http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/crime/121 ... kcuc-money
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Post by gavesako » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:56 am

Tycoon's daughter faces probe over Dhammakaya-linked scam

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) is looking into whether Alisa Asavabhokin, the daughter of a property tycoon, is the owner of a land plot connected with the Klongchan Credit Union Cooperative (KCUC) embezzlement scandal. If she is proved to be the owner, she will be summoned for questioning, DSI deputy spokesman Woranan Srilam said.
Speaking at the Border Patrol Police Region 1's headquarters in Pathum Thani, Pol Maj Woranan said the DSI would summon the owner of the land plot where Wat Phra Dhammakaya's six-storey medical care building named Boon Raksa is located.

http://m.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1 ... inked-scam

Property tycoon’s daughter under spotlight

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309412

Dhammakaya case only growing worse

Investigators have assembled 15 cases in all, steadily chipping away at the temple’s reputation. These are divided into four main groups. The first has to do with Dhammachayo allegedly receiving questionable cheques in his own and the temple’s names. The second involves the alleged use of temple money to buy stock shares. The third is related to alleged transfers of the Klong Chan cooperative’s money to Dhammakaya monks who allegedly used it to buy land. The fourth concerns alleged transfers of cooperative money to a foundation linked with the temple.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/op ... l/30309440

Political fallout from the Dhammakaya case
THITINAN PONGSUDHIRAK
Thitinan Pongsudhirak is associate professor and director of the Institute of Security and International Studies, Faculty of Political Science, Chulalongkorn University.

To the average bystander, the recent brouhaha over the Dhammakaya temple raises many questions with few answers and just about no clarity.
For Thailand's political environment, it was a storm in a teacup that exposed the raw socio-political divide of the past dozen years.
For the government of Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, it was an ominous confrontation between the state and a Buddhist sect with downside political costs and few upside gains.
For Buddhism in Thailand, it was an imperative for religious reforms mirroring broader changes that Thai society has been looking for in its search for a new balance.
At its most critical juncture, an outright clash between unarmed monks and their supporters and several thousand security officers appeared in the offing, with considerable potential casualties. But in the end, it all fizzled out. Despite the government's all-out efforts to arrest the temple's chief abbot, spearheaded by the Department of Special Investigation, Phra Dhammajayo remains at large. The government has taken over the sprawling temple but its legal status and future management will be cloudy and contested for years.
This all came at a high price. Prime Minister Prayut had to once again invoke Section 44 of the interim constitution, which gives him absolute power. But without Phra Dhammajayo's detention, the use of Section 44 in this case is showing signs of a paradox. The more the prime minister wields absolute power, the more ineffective it becomes. The Dhammakaya temple may now be under government control but its followers remain loyal to the sect and more virulently opposed to the crackdown.
In religious terms, Dhammakaya teachings represent a denomination of Theravada Buddhism, akin to offshoots in other religions. Dhammakaya was popularised a century ago by Phra Mongkol Thepmuni, otherwise known as Luang Pu Sodh Candasarao, who espoused certain meditation techniques in the search for spiritual peace and enlightenment. When he died in the 1950s, his disciples carried on the tradition. Phra Dhammajayo joined the Dhammakaya movement in the 1960s, and founded its main temple together with other followers. Eventually, he made the Dhammakaya sect into a cult following a kind of alternative Buddhism.
As mainstream Buddhism increasingly succumbed to the trappings of modernisation and was tempted by excesses and abuse, including financial wrongdoings, sex scandals, and a wide variety of "unmonkly" behaviour, Dhammakaya gained more converts who found spiritual solace in its discipline and clear Buddhist pathway of meditation. Over time, Phra Dhammajayo commodified this spiritual alternative into a lucrative temple business, pledging instant gratification and attainment of varying levels of heaven based on how much money was given to the temple for merit-making, even though heavenly doorways are not to be found in the original Buddhist doctrine.
Yet the temple kept winning over more followers over the years. To mainstream Buddhists who are pious but sceptical of the corruption and decadence seen in wayward monks, Dhammakaya has been a cult best left undiscussed. While Dhammakaya's adherents talk about their faith in mesmerising, coded terms, they were left alone. It was live and let live, a core Buddhist principle, with the law of karma taking care of the rest. Mainstream Theravada Buddhists neither flocked to nor despised Dhammakaya. Some of them even respected Dhammakaya because it hailed from the majority Maha Nikaya order favoured among the masses, as opposed to the minority Dhammayuttika Nikaya associated with elites and the old nobility.
But as it amassed a fortune, with its land holdings expanding more than tenfold since 1970, the Dhammakaya temple inevitably became too powerful and shady at the same time. It was tied to money laundering and embezzlement charges in the 1990s but later cleared by the attorney-general's office. It latest financial scandals were more difficult to shake off. In 2015, the controversial temple accepted swindled money from a cooperative. The money was later returned but the charges stuck. Last year, the noose tightened, as summonses became arrest warrants. Over the past several weeks, the Prayut government has gone for broke and tried in vain to take Phra Dhammajayo into custody.
Several implications are clear and instructive. First, Thai society remains as polarised as over the past 12 years of confrontation and conflict. Those who may not have paid much attention to the Dhammakaya sect before but are supportive of the May 2014 coup have vehemently stood against Phra Dhammajayo. Those who have opposed the military government that seized power almost three years ago are broadly sympathetic to the embattled abbot and his clergy, even though they may not like or know much about the Dhammakaya sect. Stoking the Thai divide does not bode well for the government's national "compromise" campaign.
Second, the government has lost political capital both ways. Its supporters, who have linked the Dhammakaya temple to the clique and interests of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, are disappointed that the abbot has not been caught, that the temple has not been seized. For sceptics and opponents, the Prayut government is hypocritical, cracking down on one rogue abbot but leaving others alone, such as the politically controversial Phra Buddha Isara.
For the Prayut government, the Dhammakaya suppression was a weeks-long distraction from more important work that can actually provide progress for the country, such as the "Thailand 4.0" growth project. What has transpired will likely add to the sense that the Prayut government is approaching is expiry date.
Finally, the recent appointment of Thailand's new supreme patriarch, Somdet Phra Ariyawongsakhatayan, provides a window of opportunity to reform and restore mainstream Buddhism. The new supreme patriarch is uncontroversial and universally accepted by Buddhist Thais. Yet it is a tall order. Reforming Buddhism requires an institutional rebalancing of the state, religion and the monarchy, streamlining the governing Sangha Supreme Council to make it relevant and respected and shaping up and instilling discipline into the monkhood. Making an opportunity out of the Dhammakaya debacle means bringing Thailand's Theravada Buddhism, both its doctrine and its ecclesiastical order, into the 21st century.

http://m.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinio ... akaya-case
Bhikkhu Gavesako

gavesako

Post by gavesako » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Crouching Junta, Hidden Abbot

Dhammakaya is the biggest and most influential temple in Thailand. It has gained traction, especially among lower-middle classes, thanks to a kind of Buddhist prosperity gospel that advocates meditation, volunteering and donations. It repackages traditional Buddhist concepts in accessible form, including carnival-like pilgrimages and TV shows. Its main building looks like a giant U.F.O. Dhammakaya is said to have three million followers, including powerful politicians and businesspeople.

Phra Dhammachayo was charged with embezzlement in the late 1990s and removed from his position. But he was cleared of the charges and reinstated as abbot after Mr. Thaksin became prime minister. Many Shinawatra supporters, better known as the red shirts, are hardcore loyalists of Phra Dhammachayo.

Much like Mr. Thaksin challenged the political domination of the traditional Thai elites — namely royalists, the military and big business — Dhammakaya’s brash form of Buddhism threatens the belief system of Thai conservatives. Together the Shinawatras and this sect seem to erode traditional forms of authority, and so in the junta’s view, must be quieted. ...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/17/opin ... abbot.html
Bhikkhu Gavesako

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:18 pm

Heres a quote from book thats banned in Thailand. This is my response to the random accusations that all happened to have come to light during the Dictator's reign. You'll notice a few similarities, just change the people and accusations. I see that "secret tunnel" :quote: thing is no longer a subject and the subject has changed.
Religion reverted back to a royal-centered activity, reinforcing the idea of the king’s dhammaraja and devaraja godliness. Pin also helped regain full palace control over the sangha, a process that involved one of the most crude and cynical displays of royal power during the period. In spite of gains the Thammayut sect (for background this is part of the super-always right forest tradition) had made just after the war, during the 1950s the rival Mahanikay school, backed by Phibun, retained a number of top sangha administrative positions. These monks blocked the palace’s plan to abrogate Phibun’s democratizing Sangha Act of 1941 and restore King Chulalongkorn’s 1902 code, which allowed the throne direct control over the monkhood. Leading the Mahanikay resistance was Phra Phimontham, the abbot of Wat Mahathat, the foremost Mahanikay temple, located near the Grand Palace. Phimontham’s abilities as a wat manager and leader, his monastic discipline, and his religious scholarship were undeniable. By his high rank, he was one of the monks who oversaw the king’s ordination in 1956. In the 1950s he was a certain candidate for the sanghanayok, or sangha premiership, and after that possibly supreme patriarch. Very politically minded, and with a power base rooted among activist monks in northeastern temples, Phimontham had long fought Thammayut elitism as well as government oppression of peasants. When the government said communists should not be allowed in temples, Phimontham countered that a good monk will accept anyone, communist or not. Phimontham’s obstinacy and political views rendered him, to the palace and government, a serious threat. Beginning in the Sarit period, they took strong steps to repress him. In 1958 the Thammayut supreme patriarch died. The presumed heir was the sangha prime minister Plot Kittisophana, a Mahanikay monk whom palace offcials had found fairly cooperative. But they worried that Plot’s vacated sanghanayok place would fall to Phimontham. Working in the palace’s favor was the fact that Plot himself deeply disliked Phimontham. After the supreme patriarch died, the palace, represented by Pin and Prince Dhani, cut a deal in which Plot would be promoted in exchange for freezing Phimontham’s rise. Plot also agreed to abrogate the 1941 Sangha Act and reinstate the royalist act of 1902. Days after his installation on May 5, 1960, Plot obliged. He named the Thammayut monk Juan Uttayi sangha premier. A few weeks later, after the new sangha cabinet declared a policy of weeding out communist monks, Phimontham was arrested and charged by police, falsely, with homosexual behavior, improper dress, and communist leanings, and was ordered to disrobe. When he refused, in October Sarit and Pin had him dislodged as Wat Mahathat abbot. Two weeks after that he was stripped of all of his clerical titles and reduced to a common monk. The scandal rocked the sangha and the public. Phimontham was released from jail after several weeks for lack of evidence. (this was b4 they passed the law stating monks had to be forcibly disrobed if detained i believe) But he returned to Wat Mahathat as a rank-and file monk. Plot meanwhile created a new sangha act that, based on the 1902 charter, recentralized administration under Thammayut control. The sangha premier and cabinet were eliminated, and replaced with the mahatherasamakhom, or sangha council, made up of the most senior titled monks, which in numbers the Thammayut dominated. This new act had several important effects. Although doctrinal differences between the schools had become less significant, putting Thammayut on top ensured that the sangha remained closely allied with the palace, whoever controlled the religious afairs department of the Education Ministry. The monks would advance the palace agenda. This achieved, on June 20, 1962, Phimontham was declared a threat to national security for supporting communists and rearrested, under Sarit’s order. He was forcibly disrobed in a police station with Sarit and two top Thammayut sangha council members watching, and imprisoned for four years. In prison he wore white robes as a symbol of his rejection of civil and royal authority over the sangha. Phimontham’s neutralization completed the palace’s capture of national culture. In schools and temples, history, worship, and tradition could now be manipulated to ensure unquestioning support for Chakri culture and power, and for the triune of nation, religion, and king. By the mid-1960s the memory of 1932 and the Phibun-Pridi interregnum was almost completely snuffed out, or twisted into something evil"

The King Never Smiles. Pg 152-154

For the safety of ppl in Thailand i will not provide a link, dont want any1 getting arrested. Especially with that Single Gateway thing.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:19 pm

gavesako wrote:

I thought they were "laundering" the money. Thats what DSI said for a year.

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:41 pm

BTW for those of you who dont know about the Dictator's single gateway heres some info.

gavesako

Post by gavesako » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:53 pm

TRobinson465 wrote:
gavesako wrote:

I thought they were "laundering" the money. Thats what DSI said for a year.
"Play stock market" (เล่นหุ้น) is a bit of a too literal translation of the Thai phrase. It just means investing money on the stock market.

DSI investigating of property tycoon’s daughter is linked to land donated to temple

PUBLIC PROSECUTORS have traced the money trail from the bankrupt Klongchan Credit Union Cooperative (KCUC), which was allegedly illegally diverted to Dhammakaya Temple for stock investments and manipulation, the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) revealed.

Investigators are also pursuing a related, allegedly illicit land-ownership case, which may be connected to a property tycoon’s daughter.

Special prosecutor Kachornsak Bhuthanuparb said Phra Thattacheevo, the acting abbot of Dhammakaya Temple from 2010 to 2016, had been instrumental in moving more than Bt1.3 billion from the temple’s accounts to the accounts of several monks and lay persons for various investments, including buying stocks and other securities.

Thattacheevo replaced fugitive former abbot Phra Dhammachayo.

He said investigators would soon summon officials from the Securities and Exchange Commission as well as brokerage firms that processed stock transactions for nominees of Phra Thattacheevo for questioning.

The former acting abbot did not use his name in the transactions but other monks and businessmen were allegedly his nominees in connection with a total of 15 criminal money-laundering cases and related investigations.

Most land plots, which were donated illegally by the now-bankrupt Klongchan Credit Union without the knowledge of credit union members, do not belong to Dhammakaya Temple, with the ownership having been transferred to foundations and individuals.

Among the criminal investigations are cases in which illegal funds were allegedly used to buy land plots in several provinces for building the temple’s branches but the properties belong to other foundations and individuals.

Funds were also diverted from the temple’s accounts to buy stocks. Investment portfolios were opened with two or three brokerage firms. In addition, portfolios were opened with Land and Houses Plc, a major property development firm, whose major shareholders are considered to be among the temple’s key supporters.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30309353
Bhikkhu Gavesako