Contemporary threats to free speech

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
User avatar
Pseudobabble
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 am
Location: London

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun May 27, 2018 12:10 pm

He was arrested for bringing troubling, narrative disrupting, news into the public eye.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta


'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4095
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by Sam Vara » Sun May 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:10 pm
He was arrested for bringing troubling, narrative disrupting, news into the public eye.
There are serious penalties for that, including the state putting you in dangerous situations, and then washing its hands of you.

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3356
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by Mr Man » Sun May 27, 2018 1:59 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:10 pm
He was arrested for bringing troubling, narrative disrupting, news into the public eye.
I believe you are spreading falsehoods. Can you support this claim?

User avatar
lyndon taylor
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, US occupied Northern Mexico
Contact:

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun May 27, 2018 2:14 pm

He was arrested and sentenced for violating his probation on a previous conviction, thats why the trial was so quick.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

pulga
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by pulga » Sun May 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Even those who don't agree with his provacateurism are supporting him.

Free Tommy Robinson

Tommy Robinson Arrest - An Ex Police Officer speaks out - The English Democrats

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4095
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by Sam Vara » Sun May 27, 2018 2:35 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:14 pm
He was arrested and sentenced for violating his probation on a previous conviction, thats why the trial was so quick.
Technically, he was not on probation, but there were conditions relating to the suspended sentence he received. If that were the only reason why the trial was so quick, there would be a lot more people in jail. Robinson has styled himself an "enemy of the state", and the state seems only too glad to reciprocate.

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3356
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by Mr Man » Sun May 27, 2018 3:09 pm

pulga wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 11:08 am
Breach of the peace? Just how big is this story surrounding the arrest of Tommy Robinson? It seems to have ignited something of a backlash from those concerned about their right to speak freely in the U.K..

EDL's Tommy Robinson gets arrested after filming outside court
Try this blog post pulga.

Tommy Robinson And Reporting Restrictions

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2018/ ... rting.html

pulga
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by pulga » Sun May 27, 2018 3:20 pm

Mr Man wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Try this blog post pulga.

Tommy Robinson And Reporting Restrictions

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2018/ ... rting.html
Thank you. We don't have reporting restrictions in the United States. Aren't juries sequestered in the U.K.?

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3356
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by Mr Man » Sun May 27, 2018 3:38 pm

pulga wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:20 pm
Mr Man wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Try this blog post pulga.

Tommy Robinson And Reporting Restrictions

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2018/ ... rting.html
Thank you. We don't have reporting restrictions in the United States. Aren't juries sequestered in the U.K.?
You mean kept in isolation? I don't think so.

User avatar
lyndon taylor
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, US occupied Northern Mexico
Contact:

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun May 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:35 pm
lyndon taylor wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:14 pm
He was arrested and sentenced for violating his probation on a previous conviction, thats why the trial was so quick.
Technically, he was not on probation, but there were conditions relating to the suspended sentence he received. If that were the only reason why the trial was so quick, there would be a lot more people in jail. Robinson has styled himself an "enemy of the state", and the state seems only too glad to reciprocate.
\

According to this article he was on probation, a suspended sentence where he was ordered to commit no new crimes, sounds like probation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 68821.html
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

User avatar
lyndon taylor
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, US occupied Northern Mexico
Contact:

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun May 27, 2018 5:36 pm

When you're on a suspended sentence, and you violate the terms, you don't get a new jury trial, you go straight to prison, as did Mr Robinson.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4095
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by Sam Vara » Sun May 27, 2018 5:40 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 4:58 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:35 pm
lyndon taylor wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 2:14 pm
He was arrested and sentenced for violating his probation on a previous conviction, thats why the trial was so quick.
Technically, he was not on probation, but there were conditions relating to the suspended sentence he received. If that were the only reason why the trial was so quick, there would be a lot more people in jail. Robinson has styled himself an "enemy of the state", and the state seems only too glad to reciprocate.
\

According to this article he was on probation, a suspended sentence where he was ordered to commit no new crimes, sounds like probation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 68821.html
There is a difference in English law (I don't think probation is mentioned in the article, and breaching probation orders don't necessarily result in a fixed penalty) but the interesting point here is how quickly he was dealt with. Breaching the conditions of a suspended sentence normally would not result in an immediate trial (we are told that the English justice system is barely managing to cope with the volume of cases) and it's also notable that he was arrested for one offence and then charged with another. This happens, but is rare. Overall, the impression is that the government want him in jail very badly indeed.

User avatar
lyndon taylor
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, US occupied Northern Mexico
Contact:

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun May 27, 2018 6:09 pm

From what I've read about him, jail would be a good place for him!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4095
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by Sam Vara » Sun May 27, 2018 6:20 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:09 pm
From what I've read about him, jail would be a good place for him!!
Sure, one expects him to be wished harm by those who disagree with his views, but this is an issue of fairness and conspiracy. And his supporters are fearful that he will be conveniently murdered while in jail.

User avatar
lyndon taylor
Posts: 1835
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, US occupied Northern Mexico
Contact:

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun May 27, 2018 6:25 pm

if he didn't want to go to jail he shouldn't have broken the law.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests