Contemporary threats to free speech

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Meggo

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by Meggo » Thu May 04, 2017 6:10 am

Interesting study about how "free speech" defense of racist language is often done for racist reasons.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-05- ... fense.html

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:15 am

retrofuturist wrote:Do you ever actually watch or listen to Hannity? Or do your accusations rely upon second-hand accounts of his actions,
Here is some typical hannity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump ... 13769.html
Donald Trump Tweets Offensive Rant and Fox News' Dependable Sean Hannity Defends Him

chownah

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:19 pm

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Criminalizing Critics of Israel: Congress Considers Sweeping Bills to Fine & Jail Backers of BDS
U.S. lawmakers are seeking to criminally outlaw support for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign against Israel. If a proposed bipartisan law is passed, backers of BDS could face up to 20 years in prison and a million-dollar fine.
The BDS movement was born in 2005, when a coalition of Palestinian civil society groups called for people all over the world to engage in a nonviolent campaign to boycott, divest from and sanction Israel until it complies with international law. Their call was inspired by the international boycott and divestment initiatives applied to South Africa in the struggle to abolish apartheid.

The attempt to criminalize the BDS movement comes amidst a deepening humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where Israeli-imposed restrictions continue to limit electricity to between two and four hours a day for Gaza’s more than 2 million residents. Gaza has been under Israeli siege for more than a decade. In 2012, the World Health Organization warned Gaza would be uninhabitable by 2020, but now the U.N. says the living conditions in Gaza have deteriorated faster than expected, and the U.N. says the area has already become "unlivable."

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Criminalizing Critics of Israel: Congress Considers Sweeping Bills to Fine & Jail Backers of BDS

I doubt that this will get the media attention that it deserves. The proposal so blatantly violates the First Amendment that I can't imagine that once it passes Congress it won't coming under judicial review. It's certainly a story worth following.

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:52 pm

It is remarkable how "free speech" has become an alternative appellation for "extremist/racist/hate speech" these days

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/ ... 0295470080

ToVincent

Post by ToVincent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:21 pm

This is a place (thread) I thought I would never come to.
---
There is in this world (kamaloka), a cake that is suppposed to be shared (with the true nature of metta https://justpaste.it/1a3ol ) by all beings.
Yet, there are a few beings in this world, (most of them pretending to be "bhuddist" - and full of "metta" - and conceitless - and harmless [hum!]) who have granted themselves 99% of this cake. And athough they call themselves "brothers" (who "know",) they do fight between themselves, to get also, the biggest chunk of these 99%. And the rest of the beings, who feed on the 1% crums, are just paying the penalty of this situation.

"Free speech" has become the prerogative of these "self-chosen" few.
Everything that does not go their nice and cool way, becomes a matter of ostracism, of scorn, or whatever usual tactic the sectarian mind can apply, to continue to nicely address their "self-chosen" brothers and possible future adepts.
That's all that counts.
"Come and feed on the big piece"!.

A real and disappointing lure.

"Free speech" is whatever can be in line, with what can be nicely and slily hammered into your brain. And they do lubricate the nail, as much as they can - (even with terror, if it can be nicely delivered).

Now, some of the people (who feed on the 1%,) do not really care about this rat race; if only to sometimes feel the need to address this situation, as it has come to be.

Where is the Lord of Friendship?

(True) Metta.

In this world with its ..., māras, ... in this population with its ascetics.... (AN 5.30).
------
We are all possessed - more or less.
------
And what, bhikkhu, is inward rottenness? Here someone is immoral, one of evil character, of impure and suspect behaviour, secretive in his acts, no ascetic though claiming to be one, not a celibate though claiming to be one, inwardly rotten, corrupt, depraved. This is called inward rottenness.”
SN 35.241
------
https://justpaste.it/j5o4

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:25 pm

ToVincent wrote: Yet, there are a few beings in this world, (most of them pretending to be "bhuddist" - and full of "metta" - and conceitless - and harmless [hum!]) who have granted themselves 99% of this cake. And athough they call themselves "brothers" (who "know",) they do fight between themselves, to get also, the biggest chunk of these 99%. And the rest of the beings, who feed on the 1% crums, are just paying the penalty of this situation.
Wherever did you get this idea that the top 1% are Buddhists?
https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/lis ... ion:static

I can't think of anyone on the forbes list who is Buddhist. Certainly some Buddhists are doing well in income and wealth, but hardly any trend there or domination among the highest economic class.

ToVincent

Post by ToVincent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:49 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:Wherever did you get this idea that the top 1% are Buddhists?
https://www.forbes.com/billionaires/lis ... ion:static

I can't think of anyone on the forbes list who is Buddhist. Certainly some Buddhists are doing well in income and wealth, but hardly any trend there or domination among the highest economic class.
The 1% is about the cake.

The beings who share the 99% of that cake, are wide in scope. From the second floor, to the top of the pyramid - (something like that nonsense papañca).
So they think.
Wide in scope also in their belief. Buddhistochristianojewishoshamanomuslimoatheisticowhatevero. As long as they can get you in the Net.

And they (all) are always ready to put forward their "metta" thing, and virtuousness, and harmlessness, and great care for you and for your inclinations, etc.
You know what I mean.
The Net.
Some working for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; some for the Unborn.
In this world with its ..., māras, ... in this population with its ascetics.... (AN 5.30).
------
------
And what, bhikkhu, is inward rottenness? Here someone is immoral, one of evil character, of impure and suspect behaviour, secretive in his acts, no ascetic though claiming to be one, not a celibate though claiming to be one, inwardly rotten, corrupt, depraved. This is called inward rottenness.”
SN 35.241
------

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:37 pm

ToVincent wrote: You know what I mean.
The Net.
I am not sure that anyone does.

ToVincent

Post by ToVincent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Buddha Vacana wrote:
ToVincent wrote: You know what I mean.
The Net.
I am not sure that anyone does.
You know - Mara's net - which has become, with this interfaith wish-wash - the "Inter-Net". :|
Mara's net - forgotten that already :?: :!: :?:

"Free speech" is just the lubricant on the nail. Some lube, some don't. Some just stop to do it, when needed.
But all they want, is to get you in the net.
That's the way it has always become. That's the way it will always become.

See what I mean?
Some working for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; some for the Unborn.
------
------
SN 35.241
------

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 pm

ToVincent wrote: "Free speech" is just the lubricant on the nail. Some lube, some don't. Some just stop to do it, when needed.
But all they want, is to get you in the net.
That's the way it has always become. That's the way it will always become.
See what I mean?
No. So are you for free speech or against free speech? I can't tell from the cryptic posts you have made. If it's not about one percenters and 99 percenters in terms of economic class, the only other thing it could be is in relation to power? Anyone can post on the internet and anyone can choose to not post on the internet. I still don't see what your point is, if there is one.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:47 pm

Buddha Vacana wrote:It is remarkable how "free speech" has become an alternative appellation for "extremist/racist/hate speech" these days
But it also exposes their ignorance and delusion.

White supremacists were chanting "Jews will not replace us" and "blood and soil."

I realize those are old Nazi slogans, but in terms of America whose blood and whose soil? Contrary to their delusion the first here were not them, but rather Cherokee, Shoshone, Navajo, Sioux, i.e., American Indians.

"Jews will not replace us" ? Replace them where? Jews are only about 1 to 2% of the population and I know I'm generalizing, but somehow I don't think they are competing for the same jobs. Perhaps they should have been chanting "robots will not replace us" because if their anger is over lack of jobs, it is automation that will be taking most of the jobs away.

And then among the counter-protestors I saw one of the protestors holding a sign that read "WHITE PEOPLE SUCK!" It was being held by a white woman.

ToVincent

Post by ToVincent » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:51 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:So are you for free speech or against free speech? I can't tell from the cryptic posts you have made. If it's not about one percenters and 99 percenters in terms of economic class, the only other thing it could be is in relation to power? Anyone can post on the internet and anyone can choose to not post on the internet. I still don't see what your point is, if there is one.
There is nothing like "free speech", my good man.
It's not about economic class either.
Power? - I don't think so, either.
It's more in the "free", in "free speech", that it has to be found.
Anyone can post on the internet and anyone can choose to not post on the internet.
It depends if you can make it through.
Not only this post https://justpaste.it/19cgw ; but the all thread has disappered on a "buddhist forum". (I had also added a paragraph with the Chāndogya Upaniṣad - no more, no less).
The thread, which had been going on for quite a while, had stopped to be fed by new posts; but kept on being read at a quite steady pace.
And then it disappeared entirely. I had already some posts of the sort being sacked. But this time the all thread went off.
On some other "buddhist" forums, moderation is quite heavy, also.
As long as you say whatever they want - as long as they can ostracize you lowly & easily - as long as red herring is possible - etc. - then everything is "quite" ok. But there is a time when "free speech" becomes less easy.
Not to speak about intimidation.
On some forums, no problem, though - how long?
----
"Free speech" is just hammering in ideas in your mind, with or without lubricant.
For instance, America lubes a lot - Russia does not.
But the goal is identical:
The Net (the domain of others - SN 47.6).
This is Mara's world - Have you stopped reading the Suttas (preferably with parallels)?

It even goes further than that:
“There is a snare moving in the sky,
Something mental (mānaso) which moves about
By means of which I’ll catch you yet:
You won’t escape me, ascetic!”

SN 4.15

Echt Buddhism is no piece of cake.
------
------
SN 35.241
------

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:42 am

Buddha Vacana wrote:It is remarkable how "free speech" has become an alternative appellation for "extremist/racist/hate speech" these days

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/ ... 0295470080
Well to be fair it seems that in this case the assumption was rather inaccurate

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1jMJgPAPqQjxL

This mistake though, which hasn't been reported much in the media if at all (partly because they were not allowed in the area and bc they don't seem to have done their homework or have failed to correct their mistake), still reveals how strong the association has become.