Contemporary threats to free speech

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Aloka

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by Aloka » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:12 am

I'm quite curious too, as I live in the UK which is still part of Europe (at the moment).

:anjali:

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:05 pm

A Buddhist monk speaks...
Political correctness, as a hysterical symptom of the new left, has become such that a rather long list of words in the English language is now taboo, practically obscene, or nowadays worse than obscene, the utterance of which can land one in a mess of trouble, can even result in social or professional suicide...This attitude includes, but is not at all limited to, the imbecilic concept of microaggressions, according to which a person may be “offensive” and guilty of “aggression” even when conscientiously trying to be polite. I intend to discuss the bilateral ethics of communication, in which the hearer bears as much moral responsibility as as the speaker, some other time; but here I will point out that whether a person is guilty of aggression or not depends entirely on that person’s own volition, not upon whether the hearer of that person feels, or chooses to be, offended. Even worldly legal codes acknowledge the importance of volition in determining guilt or innocence. People who feel “victimized” by microaggressions are emotionally dysfunctional, and would do well to cultivate some maturity, if at all possible. (To feel victimized by microaggressions is SO gay.)
http://politicallyincorrectdharma.blogs ... eech.html
Pannabhhaso (David Reynolds) again. With an interesting suggested remedy, as well as a trenchant account of the sickness. Anyone interested in being an out and proud Fascist? :lol:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Greetings Sam Vara,

Thanks for sharing that excellent blog entry... from start to finish, it was an excellent read.

Like the author, I am pleased that hysterical moral accusations are losing their power as a means by which to suppress the speech of those with whom someone disagrees. The potency of such shrieking accusations and their associated epithets has suffered in recent years due to how transparent it has become to the average citizen that they are being rampantly abused in cynical attempts to gain social, economic or political advantage.

(Not that this shift has necessarily been discerned by those prone to such prissiness and moral hysteria. The logical consequence of the failure of some to discern this seems to be found in the presence of domestic terrorist organisations like Antifa, and the failed presidential campaign of Hillary Clinton).

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:08 am

Illiberal Progressives

A video explaining how today's progressives threaten our basic freedoms such as freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

Its the culture where "oh I am offended so this should be banned for everybody else!" as well as "I dont agree with you so you re a fascist or a racist!".

The Brain of a Social Justice Warrior/Progressive

Pseudobabble

Re: Right Speech: Virtue Signaling

Post by Pseudobabble » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Mr Man wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:00 am
Personally I don't think modern day liberals are posing a particular threat to freedom of expression and speech but I guess that is another topic.
Supposed 'liberals' in Canada are edging very close to doing exactly that..

https://politics.stackexchange.com/ques ... ronoun-use
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

Sam Vara

Re: Right Speech: Virtue Signaling

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Pseudobabble wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 pm
Mr Man wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:00 am
Personally I don't think modern day liberals are posing a particular threat to freedom of expression and speech but I guess that is another topic.
Supposed 'liberals' in Canada are edging very close to doing exactly that..

Agreed. There is this long-running and multivarious thread:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=28785

which contains a lot of similar examples. It is worth pointing out, though, that the term "liberal" has changed its meaning a lot since it became an important feature within political discourse, and that it has distinct geographical variations. A lot of discussion of liberalism - especially in a globalised context such as here - is prone to getting bogged down in confused semantics.

Kusala

Post by Kusala » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:33 pm

A council in Britain is taking action to crack down on “Islamophobia” in response to some parents refusing to send their children on mosque visits arranged by schools. http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/11 ... ue-visits/

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:58 am

Greetings,

Day of Reckoning: FCC Chairman Ajit Pai Slams Silicon Valley for Censoring Conservatives
In his speech on Net Neutrality reform today, FCC chairman Ajit Pai called out Twitter, YouTube and other Silicon Valley giants for their long track record of censoring conservative viewpoints. Pai specifically called out a number of big tech companies, including Twitter, for opposing Net Neutrality reform on the grounds that it threatens a “free and open internet,” while engaging in widespread censorship on their own platforms.

“I love Twitter, and I use it all the time” said Pai. “But let’s not kid ourselves; when it comes to an open Internet, Twitter is part of the problem. The company has a viewpoint and uses that viewpoint to discriminate.”

In further comments, the FCC chairman specifically called out the censorship of Rep. Marsha Blackburn’s pro-life ad, which was blocked by Twitter for “inflammatory speech.”

Two months ago, Twitter blocked Representative Marsha Blackburn from advertising her Senate campaign launch video because it featured a pro-life message. Before that, during the so-called Day of Action, Twitter warned users that a link to a statement by one company on the topic of Internet regulation “may be unsafe.”

Pai also called attention to Twitter’s “double standard when it comes to suspending or de-verifying conservative users’ accounts as opposed to those of liberal users,” an issue which has been extensively documented by Breitbart Tech over the past two years.

Stating that Twitter is “not an outlier,” the FCC chairman also drew attention to YouTube’s decision to censor videos from conservative commentator Dennis Prager. Prager is currently suing Google and YouTube over their decision to censor his videos.

Pai continued through a list of examples of content-blocking on the part of big tech companies, including app stores banning apps from “cigar aficionados” because they are “perceived to promote tobacco use,” online platforms secretly editing users’ comments (Reddit’s CEO has admitted to doing this), and the use of opaque algorithms to decide what users can or cannot see.

More seriously, the FCC chairman called out Silicon Valley companies for “caving to repressive foreign governments’ demands to block certain speech.”

Pai concluded by declaring web companies to be “a much bigger actual threat to an open Internet than broadband providers, especially when it comes to discrimination on the basis of viewpoint.”

(more at link above).
Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

robertk

Post by robertk » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:29 am

Thanks for that Paul. It's a strange old world : the sensitive progressives might be offended by an antiabortion message, let's ban it.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:51 am

Greetings Robert,
robertk wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:29 am
Thanks for that Paul. It's a strange old world : the sensitive progressives might be offended by an antiabortion message, let's ban it.
It's especially ironic when you consider that Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has been a very public advocate of Black Lives Matter.

Black foetuses though? Not so much.

:shrug:

Metta,

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:18 am

robertk wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:29 am
Abortion is an issue which crosses political boundaries. I think it is safe to say that there are sensitive conservatives who might be offended and want to ban it.

Also, tobacco use is not a partisan political issue.

Since the two examples given were not what I considered to be good and clear examples of conservatives being censored (as the title of the article implies) I decide to look at where the article originated.....and much to my non-surprise it was from breitbart.

I doubt that there actually are any clear partisan political issues shown. Maybe someone can show that I am wrong and that there are some.

What I have written above is somewhat off topic in that there is still the issue of censorship of things which are not bipartisan political issues. Interestingly (for me) it seems that alot of this has nothing to do with net neutrality which I think is what pai was giving his speech about. Weaponised.
chownah

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:01 am

chownah wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:18 am

I doubt that there actually are any clear partisan political issues shown. Maybe someone can show that I am wrong and that there are some.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_stack

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... talk-class
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:08 am

chownah wrote:
I think the most recent report on how American opinion is divided on these questions is last month's publication of a survey commissioned by the Cato Institute: The State of Free Speech and Tolerance in America.

https://www.cato.org/survey-reports/sta ... ce-america

It's very long and I haven't myself digested it yet, so I'm posting it as something of interest, not as something that will prove you wrong.

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:48 am

Pseudobabble wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:01 am
chownah wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_stack

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/201 ... talk-class
I haven't looked at the links. I am not asking if there are partisan political issues since clearly there are.....I am asking if the speech which pai gave addressed any of them. Breitbart news seems to have taken two issues pai addressed which to me seem to not be partisan political issues and tried to pass them off as partisan political issues.....breitbart news does this at every oppportunity from what I have seen. For instance....is tobacco consumption a partisan poplitical issue?....I think not. Likewise for abortion. I seem to remember that in hillary's campaign someone at some time made the statement that right to lifers were welcome in the democratic party.
chownah

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:00 am

Greetings,

If the fact the speech was reported on by Breitbart gives rise to skepticism &/or concerns of bias, you can read the full Pai speech here (PDF, 5 pages).

Metta,