Contemporary threats to free speech

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
L.N.

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech

Post by L.N. » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:19 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:08 am
Greetings L.N.,

:console:

May I draw your attention to: Dhamma Wheel complaints procedure

Please utilise this process if you feel there's a problem with how this forum is moderated.
Dhamma Wheel complaints procedure wrote:Please do not publicly complain about moderation, as that is disruptive to the forum and is not the appropriate method for resolving such disputes.
Metta,
Paul. :)
Yes, however in this instance I am not complaining. As I frequently have stated, I defer to the Team, and I respect your right to interpret and apply TOS as you wish. I do not own or run this forum. This is not a complaint. Rather, it is a discussion of a contemporary threat to free speech.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

pulga

Post by pulga » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:47 pm

If you have noticed an influx of liberal trolls in comment feeds and throughout social media sniping the top comments on say: fox news facebook comments. Or Donald Trump’s twitter, it is important to understand, these are not normal people, this is a concerted effort by George Soros funded Media Matters, to target and destroy traditional conservative media, and “alt-media” all together. This is not an organic manifestation, rather a multi million dollar effort. It get’s better, we have Media Matter’s leaked playbook.
Invasion of the comment snatchers! Media Matters social media “trolling” playbook leaked!!!

This strategy is clearly evident on a number of comment sections I peruse from time to time, e.g. Fox News and The Hill. It seems any conservative view riles them. Let's just hope that DW doesn't become one of their targets.

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:19 pm

pulga wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:47 pm
Let's just hope that DW doesn't become one of their targets.
I'm confident we can out-troll them. DW has a rep among online Buddhist communities for analytical argumentation down the rabbit hole.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

Mr Man

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech (this is not off-topic)

Post by Mr Man » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:43 pm

L.N. wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 am
Mr Man wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:44 am
So the Dhamma Wheel team (I presume they are acting as a team) are now using the terms and conditions to close down open discussion.

Was this topic so scary and are members so precious that it could not be allowed to stand? Is this level of censorship really needed here?
What is up with all the fringe, alt-right commentary peppered throughout DW?
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=30698
Relevant to the Topic here, including the following from the OP:
retrofuturist wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:35 pm
The purpose of this topic is to discuss the prevalence of trends, actions, ideologies and policies which are a threat to free speech in the 21st century.

The threats in scope for this discussion are inclusive of threats that arise from all sides of politics, from all ideologies, and from all groups and institutions.
Yes I thought so but for some reason I got a board warning for it, which seemed rather unnecessary.

:focus:

L.N.

Re: Contemporary threats to free speech (this is not off-topic)

Post by L.N. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 am

Mr Man wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:43 pm
L.N. wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:04 am
Mr Man wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:44 am
So the Dhamma Wheel team (I presume they are acting as a team) are now using the terms and conditions to close down open discussion.

Was this topic so scary and are members so precious that it could not be allowed to stand? Is this level of censorship really needed here?

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=30698
Relevant to the Topic here, including the following from the OP:
retrofuturist wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:35 pm
The purpose of this topic is to discuss the prevalence of trends, actions, ideologies and policies which are a threat to free speech in the 21st century.

The threats in scope for this discussion are inclusive of threats that arise from all sides of politics, from all ideologies, and from all groups and institutions.
Yes I thought so but for some reason I got a board warning for it, which seemed rather unnecessary.

:focus:
That does indeed seem unnecessary. But if we talk about it, even though it is relevant to the topic of "contemporary threats to free speech," we risk being banned. Ironic.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:03 am

Greetings,

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

alan

Post by alan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:56 am

Most important threats we have to free speech now is God Dam Fox, and God Dam Breitbart, and every other right-wing Bullshit propaganda machine.
Who actually watches and believes this garbage?
Answer: God Dam Fools watch this garbage. God Dam Fools believe this garbage.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:23 am

Greetings Alan,

Can you explain exactly how such news outlets threaten free speech?

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

alan

Post by alan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:17 am

By pretending to be real news, they create an audience of fools. They then say anyone else is fake.
Those fools then think that they are not alone, in all their total Bullsh*t. But, they are complete idiots.
They then make sure that audience hates anyone else who does not believe what they are being fed. It is total propaganda, and it pisses me the hell off.

alan

Post by alan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:22 am

For instance, they say CNN is Fake. That is total Bullsh*t.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:25 am

Greetings Alan,

One could just as easily say the same of the liberal mainstream media... the ones who are currently being forced into issuing retractions at a record rate due to the degradation of their journalistic independence, and increasingly opinion-based "facts". This includes Fake Jake and the crew at Fake News CNN, who are well known for inventing "sources" that simply don't exist. How much more fake can you get than that?

Nonetheless, I don't see how the co-existence of "mainstream media" and "alternative media + FOX" is in any way a threat to free speech. People are clearly free to speak and find a platform to do so, no matter how diverse their views may happen to be. Personally, I think you're over-reaching and simply bringing your hate of all things awesome into this topic, where it's not particularly relevant.

Metta,

alan

Post by alan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:33 am

But you would be wrong. I hate all things fake. I love all things true.
God Dam Fox Is Fake. God Dam Breitbart is fake. Fake Sh*t pisses me off.
You are smart enough to know this, yet, still believe fake Bullsh*t.
Why?

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:39 am

I think you are both wrong because I think you are both pimping your political positions.
If free speech is important it is because it gives the widest possible source of reliable information. Anything which decreases the reliability of speech (or many times even the perceived reliability of speech) decreases free speech's ability to provide the widest possible source of reliable information.
chownah

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:49 am

Arrest and harassment of journalists.

International reaction to arrest of Reuters reporters in Myanmar

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-myan ... SKBN1EE26T

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:57 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:03 am
Greetings,

Metta,
This guy is a good example of how free speech can be used to attain cheap popularity
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.