Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by Mr Man » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:40 am

President Trump's 'America First' slogan shares name with anti-Semitic committee that urged the US to appease Hitler

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... an-9662779

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 20084
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:40 am

Greetings,
Mr Man wrote:President Trump's 'America First' slogan shares name with anti-Semitic committee that urged the US to appease Hitler
Putting your own citizens' interests ahead of those of globalists...? How evil and fascist of him!

:lol:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Phena
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 6:40 am

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by Phena » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:49 am

Populist nationalism with a military build-up. What could possibly go wrong?

Phena
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 6:40 am

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by Phena » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:19 am

Looks like more people turned out for the protests than the inauguration.

It's not surprising though.

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by Mr Man » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:18 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Mr Man wrote:President Trump's 'America First' slogan shares name with anti-Semitic committee that urged the US to appease Hitler
Putting your own citizens' interests ahead of those of globalists...? How evil and fascist of him!

:lol:
The point is that the president of the US is using phraseology which is associated anti-Semitism.

And Admin finds that funny.

pulga
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by pulga » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:56 am

Mr Man wrote: The point is that the president of the US is using phraseology which is associated anti-Semitism.

User avatar
Khalil Bodhi
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:01 pm

The size of yesterday's marches made it pretty clear just how unpopular Trump is. Thank goodness the majority hasn't been conned by a mendacious, self-serving, xenophobe.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

chownah
Posts: 7475
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by chownah » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:39 pm

I think that trump's propoganda machine's lies can be a big distraction. It would be good if people didn't waste their energy by making a big show over it but rather just started getting into a groove of "yep, there it is again, whadyou expect?" and used it to reaffirm the need to keep their energy focused on what is happening with important issues.

These sorts of things are not in themselves very important and it is very likely they are meant as distractions.....the idea being to keep them off balance and flustered all the time and they will not be focused enough to pose an effective opposition. Also, for those who are intellectually lazy it just adds to their lack of faith in the media and not trusting it as a possible source of the truth which is one thing which makes them yearn for a strong leader to tell them what is the truth.
chownah

pulga
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by pulga » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:44 pm

:goodpost:

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by Mr Man » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:56 pm

pulga wrote:
Mr Man wrote: The point is that the president of the US is using phraseology which is associated anti-Semitism.
---
Hi Pulga
Your video clip doesn't really address the post, in my opinion.

chownah
Posts: 7475
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by chownah » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Mr Man wrote:
pulga wrote:
Mr Man wrote: The point is that the president of the US is using phraseology which is associated anti-Semitism.
---
Hi Pulga
Your video clip doesn't really address the post, in my opinion.
It makes sense to me. It is woody allen (who is a famous jew) expressing a comic version of the paranoid jew who imagines anti jewish quips where none exist.

I think it is an approprite response because I think whatever anti semitic connotation which can be dredged up is pretty obscure when you think about "america first" being a pretty much standard sort of thing to say. Trumps propogandists will love it, however, if people make a big stink about it as this will just show how untrustworthy the media is....and continue to lead people into non-productive arguements. In these arguements someone will overstate something and he will pounce on it showing what fools the media are and more people will then see trump as the one who sees how bad the media is and will provide them with the truth and the way to fight that evil media. This is one of the startegies which got him elected. If people keep falling for it and responding in the same way they did before he will get relected in 2020.
chownah

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by Mr Man » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:22 pm

chownah wrote:
I think whatever anti semitic connotation which can be dredged up is pretty obscure when you think about "america first" being a pretty much standard sort of thing to say. Trumps propogandists will love it, however, if people make a big stink about it as this will just show how untrustworthy the media is
Hi Chownah
Do you think the speech was written by propagandists? Do you think they would have been aware of the connotations? Pulga's post was a red herring and in that respect it has been effective.

chownah
Posts: 7475
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by chownah » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:24 pm

Mr Man wrote:
chownah wrote:
I think whatever anti semitic connotation which can be dredged up is pretty obscure when you think about "america first" being a pretty much standard sort of thing to say. Trumps propogandists will love it, however, if people make a big stink about it as this will just show how untrustworthy the media is
Hi Chownah
Do you think the speech was written by propagandists? Do you think they would have been aware of the connotations? Pulga's post was a red herring and in that respect it has been effective.
All presidential speeches are written by propagandists even when written by the president alone.
I have no idea if they were aware of the connotation or not. If they were aware they may very well have considered rejecting it but then decided not to....I don't know. Even if they did know the connotation the fact remains that it is such a generic sort of statement they have a very very good case for plausible deniability which is what they would do....and anyone already leaning their way will take one step closer to fervent support. I'm not supporting anyone, much less fervently, and I think it is a mistake to make something out of a perfectly appropriate kind of thing to say like "america first".....especially as to make something out of it will just play right into trump's hands. "My god! I express my fervent wish for america to be great again and the media twists it....shameful...despicable.."...and the chorus of close followers "Ya....don't you believe in making america great again?...don't you want america to be number one again?....don't you want to think about america first?...do you want to put china or mexico first?....etc...." Someone will overstate an arguement and trump will pounce on it showing once again how biased and untruthful the media is.....same as he always does. You can't win in this situation because trump doesn't care how you view what he says....he only cares how he can ensnare more of the intellectually lazy....and this tactic has proven very successful for him as can be seen as now he is mr. president.
If people keep reacting to his act the same way they will get the same results which is good news for him.
chownah
edit: I think there are other things in his speech that are much more worthy of being discussed.
chownah

pulga
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by pulga » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:16 pm

Mr Man wrote: Pulga's post was a red herring and in that respect it has been effective.
Take it as you like. As I said before, President Trump has turned the Left into its own worst enemy. If the election were held again tomorrow, he'd most probably would win again. Though I have to wonder whether the genius behind this is less that of Trump's as of Steve Bannon's -- if only to add another layer to the Left's paranoia.

In a strikingly odd way the delegitimizing of Trump's presidency also works in his favor in world affairs because it allows him a recklessness that foreign government are inclined to tolerate rather than to exacerbate. I.e. is Trump's behavior a four-year anomaly to be patiently endured or that of the United States for years to come? China in particular comes to mind in this regard.

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Your Guide to Inauguration Day 2017

Post by Mr Man » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi chownah

This is from April 2016

ADL Urges Donald Trump to Reconsider “America First” in Foreign Policy Approach

http://www.adl.org/press-center/press-r ... first.html

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests