Trump in trouble?

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
DNS
Site Admin

Trump in trouble?

Post by DNS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:28 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/us/p ... .html?_r=0
NY Times wrote:The memos describe sex videos involving prostitutes with Mr. Trump in a 2013 visit to a Moscow hotel. The videos were supposedly prepared as “kompromat,” or compromising material, with the possible goal of blackmailing Mr. Trump in the future.
How do impeachment laws work? Could he get impeached for things done prior to inauguration?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Trump in trouble?

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 am

Greetings,

One step at a time... if we paid attention to all the "unsubstantiated reports" pertaining to Barack Obama, he'd have been impeached ten times over.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:13 am

I doubt that's an impeachable offense considering that it was a few years ago and wouldn't affect his governing abilities. Even if it turns out to be true and the sex videos were released, I don't think that'd be big enough to hurt him much.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:24 am

Bill Clinton got impeached by the US House for lying about oral sex (no intercourse), but of course it was not pursued, not continued by the Senate.

I imagine the acts themselves would not be impeachable, but if it were to be determined that Trump is giving special attention or favors to Russia in exchange for them not revealing the videos, that would be another matter, possibly justifying impeachment (if true of course).

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm not sure if he could be impeached for offenses committed before he takes office.

Once sworn in, though, he could still be indicted for those crimes; in this case, possibly sedition.

pulga

Post by pulga » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:55 pm

The dossier should to taken seriously, though without any sort of evidence to support its allegations -- not even from our intelligence agencies -- the whole thing smacks of McCarthyism.

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:20 pm

25th Amendment...he's giving all the signs that he's not fit to govern.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:43 pm

The source may well have been a social media "fanfiction" joke.

What concerns me is that the vitriol against Trump seems so blind that no one vets the source of scandal anymore. This has embarrassed the NY Times, what to say of creating this thread.

I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:48 pm

ancientbuddhism did you vet your source before posting this here or are you just posting rumours?

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:54 pm

ancientbuddhism wrote:The source may well have been a social media "fanfiction" joke.

What concerns me is that the vitriol against Trump seems so blind that no one vets the source of scandal anymore. This has embarrassed the NY Times, what to say of creating this thread.
I looked back at all the posts in this thread and it seems that everyone is taking this cautiously and absolutely devoid of vitriol. I see nothing to be embarrassed about here.

Could the 4chan claims be fake news? Time will tell. Like the buddha taught "train only for calm".

Frankly I have no interest in trump's sexuality and if it was between consenting adults then seems like it is fine. I don't think trump could be blackmailed by sexual stuff...maybe he cold be compromised by documenting some illegal business relationship involving influence quid pro quo. Do understand that I am in no way suggesting that he has or had any of that kind of business relationship but I am only trying to think of what kind of information could even in theory be used to compromise him. And....of course any sexual thing he could just deny all of it...fake news...fake videos....photoshopped....etc. That's what I would do and he even has a history of this kind of denial response. (Again this is just a theoretic discussion and I am not implying any of this has anything to do with the reality of what trump has done.)
chownah

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:02 pm

It may very well be a hoax, a sign of the times we live in with the internet, etc. But as far as vetting, we are not journalists and there is one side from NY Times and mainstream media and another side from an anonymous user on 4chan; seems like a pretty easy choice which one to accept at first, which one is more likely to be credible. (but of course the mainstream media outlets may indeed be running a hoax; it is just that they are more credible at first)

:popcorn:

ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:17 pm

Social media is an undercurrent that is influencing, indeed replacing for many, mainstream media.

But here is one from a brand-name you can trust (or can we?):

The Trump Dossier Is Fake -- And Here Are The Reasons Why
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves

ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:28 pm

With reference to vitriol. Yes, there is a good deal of such on this forum aimed at Trump, or any that would support him. One comment even went so far as to say that anyone that voted for Trump was not a Buddhist. Is it a wonder why those of DW who voted for Trump have not come forward with their point of view?

A Handful of Leaves

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:30 pm

ancientbuddhism wrote:Social media is an undercurrent that is influencing, indeed replacing for many, mainstream media.

But this is a different story to your original post.

ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Mr Man wrote:
ancientbuddhism wrote:Social media is an undercurrent that is influencing, indeed replacing for many, mainstream media.

But this is a different story to your original post.
Tov Me'od! You are an observant one. That is because it is a different article.

A Handful of Leaves