Fake News

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Fake News

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:54 pm

Greetings,
Cittasanto wrote:the video's don't show for me. All I am seeing is a black box :(
Odd. Here's the direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-0_dFnl-Y

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-0_dFnl-Y
Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:32 am

If I was running project veritas I would pick some really juicy examples to present in this promotional video. If what was presented is the juiciest thing they could find then there really is nothing there. None of what they presented is especially damning although it does show that some individuals are off the mark but certainly it is not a condemnation of main stream media as is suggested. This may qualify as fake news although I really don't like using the term.
chownah

pulga

Post by pulga » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:03 am

The recordings were made back to 2009, so they're bound to be somewhat anticlimactic. It was during the presidential election campaign that CNN pushed bias and yellow journalism to an unprecedented level.

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:01 am

pulga wrote:The recordings were made back to 2009, so they're bound to be somewhat anticlimactic. It was during the presidential election campaign that CNN pushed bias and yellow journalism to an unprecedented level.
I don't know specifically if cnn was pushing a bias during the election campaign but it seemed to me that pretty much everyone was doing it so I more or less assume that cnn was doing it.....it would be good to see some evidence which veritas sort of claims to present but really they have presented nothing of importance. (False claims?...Fake news?)

Notice that veritas is only going after the big media.....this pretty much clears the field for small media to bias to the hilt.....I doubt that breitbart will ever be exposed nor a host of other small media outlets. Also, notice that veritas can publish what it wants and ignore the rest which pretty much guarantees that veritas itself will have a very strong bias. Can anyone guess what bias veritas will likely have? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
chownah

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 pm

Fox News Anchor Stands Up For CNN And Defines ‘Fake News’
“Fake news refers to stories that are created often by entities pretending to be news organizations solely to drive clicks and views based on nothing of substance,” Smith explained.

“CNN’s reporting was not fake news,” Smith said, after summarizing the news network’s coverage of Trump’s campaign’s ties to Russia.

Smith took it one step further when he aligned CNN’s reporting with his own organization’s.

“Its journalists follow the same standards to which other news organizations, including Fox News, adhere,” he said
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fox ... 480e083d19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc3W9dl ... e=youtu.be

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:37 pm

While not condoning what the Trump administration did, this sort of thing isn’t unprecedented. Back in 2011 Fox News was critical of the way President Obama allowed bankers to enrich themselves through his bailout of Wall Street. The result being...

Documents Show Obama White House Attacked, Excluded Fox News Channel

Mr Man wrote:Fox News Anchor Stands Up For CNN And Defines ‘Fake News’
Are we all suppose to adhere to Shepard Smith's definition of fake news? Since the FBI initiated the contact with Priebus, informing him that CNN's and the NY Times's tying President Trump's campaign to the Russians was totally unsubstantiated and BS, Priebus's subsequent request that it inform the press of the same is hardly as menacing as the leftist mainstream media presents it. CNN's reporting is bias to the point of dishonesty; and this, it seems to me, is what "fake news" has come to mean to most people. Mutatis mutandis the same is true for Breitbart and RT. What we're being fed is propaganda, and in order for propaganda to be effective there has to be enough truth in it to make it credible.

https://youtu.be/V1KaXhHa66s?t=472

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi Pulga

"Fox News Anchor Stands Up For CNN And Defines ‘Fake News’" is the name of the article rather than my words.

Hear is another article "With 'Fake News,' Trump Moves From Alternative Facts To Alternative Language

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/17/515630467 ... e-language
Now, Trump casts all unfavorable news coverage as fake news. In one tweet, he even went so far as to say that "any negative polls are fake news." And many of his supporters have picked up and run with his new definition.

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Mr Man wrote:
"Fox News Anchor Stands Up For CNN And Defines ‘Fake News’" is the name of the article rather than my words.
Sorry for the oversight.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:22 am

In the link that mr man brought (http://www.npr.org/2017/02/17/515630467 ... e-language) they talk about how language can be shaped and it got me thinking about how the three words fake, news, and media can be interpreted differently to give what I think are importantly different meanings. If we say FAKE NEWS media we are saying that there is a commodity called fake news and there are certain media which produce it. If we say FAKE news media we are saying that there are people trying to pass themselves off as being news media but they actually are not news media at all. I think the idea of FAKE news media fits breitbart very well.....they really don't present much in the way of news but they take editorializing and try to pass it off as news......thus turning opinion into fact since editorializing is presenting of opinion where as news is supposed to be presenting of facts. Does anyone here remember the good old days when there was a bundle of sheets of paper which could be purchased cheaply at most grocery stores and at kiosks and vending machines on the street?....they were called "news papers"....and does anyone remember how they had an "editorial section" so as to clearly segregate the facts from the opinions?......in the age of internet media there is no clear segregation of these two.
Journalism: Long ago even my high school had a class on journalism.....has this bias been dropped as being irrelevant?
chownah

Phena

Post by Phena » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 am

More fake news from the Trump camp. This time with unsubstantiated (and now refuted) claims that "Obama tapped Trump Tower".

It's pretty clear to me that what Trump calls fake news is anything that is critical of him, while it is actually Trump that is the main purveyor of straight out lies and distortions (actual fake news).

SDC

Post by SDC » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:09 am

Phena wrote:More fake news from the Trump camp. This time with unsubstantiated (and now refuted) claims that "Obama tapped Trump Tower".

It's pretty clear to me that what Trump calls fake news is anything that is critical of him, while it is actually Trump that is the main purveyor of straight out lies and distortions (actual fake news).
It has absolutely not been disproven, and if there is fire anywhere in this alleged mess, believe me, you're going to see multiple casualties from both the current and former administration. This is a disaster for everyone.

alan

Post by alan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:13 am

"Project Veritas"---what a total load of Bullsh*t.
It's propaganda, obviously.
First thing you do is denigrate those who report the truth, if your goal is to create a post-truth world, in which what you say is never challenged.
God Dam Trump is doing that. How stupid do you have to be to not see it clearly?

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:21 am

Phena wrote:More fake news from the Trump camp. This time with unsubstantiated (and now refuted) claims that "Obama tapped Trump Tower".

Just like a shell game. It's a standard move from Trump's bag of tricks, used to deflect attention from issues he'd rather not address, i.e., Russiagate.

Phena

Post by Phena » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:45 am

SDC wrote:

It has absolutely not been disproven, and if there is fire anywhere in this alleged mess, believe me, you're going to see multiple casualties from both the current and former administration. This is a disaster for everyone.
No, it absolutely has been disproven. Obama (or any President) cannot order a wire tap to be placed on anyone on a whim.

So where's the evidence that Obama ordered a wire tap on Trump Tower?

Phena

Post by Phena » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:00 am

Justsit wrote:

Just like a shell game. It's a standard move from Trump's bag of tricks, used to deflect attention from issues he'd rather not address, i.e., Russiagate.
Yes, exactly Justsit.