A neuroscientist explains how religious experience can be addictive

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
plwk

A neuroscientist explains how religious experience can be addictive

Post by plwk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:45 am

Although religious experience impacts more than 5.8 billion people worldwide, our understanding of the brain networks involved remains obscure. In a study published today in the journal Social Neuroscience, researchers at the University of Utah School of Medicine report that religious and spiritual experiences activate reward circuits in the brain — the same that are associated with feelings of love and drug-induced euphoric states.
More here

plwk

Re: A neuroscientist explains how religious experience can be addictive

Post by plwk » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:49 am

I doubt that if Buddhists were to be tested in that experiment, the results would differ by vast proportions but what would this mean to you, as a practitioner? Is the striving of a holy life as laity and ordained necessary just an 'addiction'? Or is this just as what some may have been saying: it's all just about the brain and chemicals? I am sure some Buddhists would not subscribe to that...or will they?

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:10 am

In my case, this raises the question: is there anything we can do except self improvement (i.e changing bad habits into good habits)?

From my practice so far, i am unable to go beyond that.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

Lux

Post by Lux » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:34 am

Thank you.

This is an area I'm looking my postgraduate in... and for good reason!

Fascinating!