Fidel Castro, Cuba's leader of revolution, dies at 90

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
plwk

Fidel Castro, Cuba's leader of revolution, dies at 90

Post by plwk » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:12 pm

Cuba's former president Fidel Castro, one of the world's longest-serving and most iconic leaders, has died aged 90. More here

ryanM

Re: Fidel Castro, Cuba's leader of revolution, dies at 90

Post by ryanM » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:27 pm

:candle:
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

Will

Post by Will » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:59 pm

A butcher and (as his daughter said) a tyrant. Off to the lowest Hell, most likely.

Here is his bodyguard for 17 years telling us about the real hypocrite that was Fidel. When he told Fidel he would like to retire, Castro threw him in jail - typical. Also a bestseller in Spanish.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Life-Fide ... +biography
Last edited by Will on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wholesome virtuous behavior progressively leads to the foremost. -- AN 10.1

Javi

Post by Javi » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:16 am

He was a tyrant , almost caused a nuclear war and had no qualms about doing it.

As a Cuban, I am relieved
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:19 am

Yes, he was a tyrant. He forced people to accept free medical care and free education form kindergarten to university. The literacy rate which resulted matched or exceeded developed countries and the infant mortality rate in cuba was lower than in the usa! He forced the mafia which ran cuba before his revolution out of the country.
Yes, he was a tyrant.
chownah

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:12 am

Under Fidel Castro there was a long record of poverty, human rights violations, executions, torture and imprisonment for political dissent and other minor offenses. Tens of thousands were executed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Cuba

Under Raul Castro the situation has been slowly improving:
On August 2, 2011, The New York Times reported Cuba as reaffirming their intent to legalize "buying and selling" of private property before the year's end. According to experts, the private sale of property could "transform Cuba more than any of the economic reforms announced by President Raúl Castro's government".[199] It will cut more than one million state jobs, including party bureaucrats who resist the changes.[200] The new economic reforms effectively created a new economic system, referred by some as the "New Cuban Economy".
Like other "communist" nations, I imagine it will gradually transform to a capitalist, mixed economy, poverty will decrease and human rights violations will gradually disappear.

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:09 am

Javi wrote:, almost caused a nuclear war and had no qualms about doing it.
Castro welcomed the possibility of having soviet missiles placed in cuba. Why? Well, in the few years preceding that the cia had hired three mafia hitmen to kill him and the fronted all the money to accomplish the fact and supplied the poison. Castro found out in time and foiled the plot. The cia hastily regrouped but before the second attempt could be carried into action the US organized and sponsered invasion of cuba known as the "bay of pigs invasion" began which included an amphibios assault and bombing runs by cia supplied bombers. YES, THE US CIA EFFECTIVELY BOMBED CUBA AND INVADED IT FROM THE SEA. Castro decisively repelled the invasion.....and started thinking that he needed some kind of deterant from further US attempts to destroy him and his revolutionary gov't.

Castro had alot of enemies in his country who wanted to kill him and they were getting alot of help from outside (read that as from the USA). And the assassinatin attempts kept on coming; from wikipedia: "The Church Committee stated that it substantiated eight attempts by the CIA to assassinate Fidel Castro in 1960–1965". It is highly possible that there were attempts which were not substantiated. Should castro have killed those who where trying to kill him? Did some innocent bystanders get killed as well? I do not know the answers.
chownah

plwk

Post by plwk » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:13 am

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:05 am

David N. Snyder wrote:Under Fidel Castro there was a long record of poverty, human rights violations, executions, torture and imprisonment for political dissent and other minor offenses. Tens of thousands were executed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Cuba

Under Raul Castro the situation has been slowly improving:
On August 2, 2011, The New York Times reported Cuba as reaffirming their intent to legalize "buying and selling" of private property before the year's end. According to experts, the private sale of property could "transform Cuba more than any of the economic reforms announced by President Raúl Castro's government".[199] It will cut more than one million state jobs, including party bureaucrats who resist the changes.[200] The new economic reforms effectively created a new economic system, referred by some as the "New Cuban Economy".
Like other "communist" nations, I imagine it will gradually transform to a capitalist, mixed economy, poverty will decrease and human rights violations will gradually disappear.
Completely wrong, Poverty is much less of a problem in Cuba than America, and switching to a capitalist economy will only increase poverty as we have seen in Eastern Europe, what Cuba didn't have that America has in droves is wealth, and definitely not wealth for everyone. True communist countries have traditionally provided a much better standard of living for its poorest citizens than capitalism.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:33 pm

lyndon taylor wrote: Completely wrong, Poverty is much less of a problem in Cuba than America, and switching to a capitalist economy will only increase poverty as we have seen in Eastern Europe, what Cuba didn't have that America has in droves is wealth, and definitely not wealth for everyone. True communist countries have traditionally provided a much better standard of living for its poorest citizens than capitalism.
Fortunately for the Cuban people, their leader Raul Castro disagrees with you:
" Either we change course or we sink."
— President Raúl Castro, December 2010
Voss, Michael (April 16, 2011). "A last hurrah for Cuba's communist rulers". BBC News.
The average / median salary in Cuba is $20 to $30 per month, in other words what they make in one month the typical American makes in one hour.

dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:18 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
The average / median salary in Cuba is $20 to $30 per month, in other words what they make in one month the typical American makes in one hour.
Is this why some seemed to be willing to cross 500 km of sea using rafts not compliant with all the international security standards of safe sea transportation?
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:27 pm

dhammarelax wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote:
Is this why some seemed to be willing to cross 500 km of sea using rafts not compliant with all the international security standards of safe sea transportation?
That was probably a major motivation, plus having a better standard of living, freedom to travel, free speech, free press, small business opportunities, etc.

SDC

Post by SDC » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:27 pm

chownah wrote:Yes, he was a tyrant. He forced people to accept free medical care and free education form kindergarten to university. The literacy rate which resulted matched or exceeded developed countries and the infant mortality rate in cuba was lower than in the usa! He forced the mafia which ran cuba before his revolution out of the country.
Yes, he was a tyrant.
chownah
Why were travel rules so strict for the Cuban people until recently? Did he have to ensure people would not leave for whatever reason?

binocular

Post by binocular » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:42 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:That was probably a major motivation, plus having a better standard of living, freedom to travel, free speech, free press, small business opportunities, etc.
Evaluating the whole world by one particular set of standards -- that's tough ...
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

binocular

Post by binocular » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:48 pm

SDC wrote:Why were travel rules so strict for the Cuban people until recently? Did he have to ensure people would not leave for whatever reason?
It's interesting how the cult of his person(ality) is maintained both by his supporters as well as his opponents.

Do you really believe that one single man, in this case, Fidel Castro, could organize and control a whole country according to his will??
This is as unrealistic as when some people claim that Hitler alone and himself is responsible for WWII and all that it brought along.

Focusing on one man only distracts from what is really going on: from the complex social system of beliefs and practices carried out by hundreds of thousands or millions of people for decades or even centuries.
Someone like Castro or Hitler is just the speck of dust on the tip of the iceberg.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z