What does the "Red Pill" mean

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
chownah

Re: What does the "Red Pill" mean

Post by chownah » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:02 am

Cittasanto wrote:
chownah wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:He could teach students other views, even those that don't agree with his own. I certainly wouldn't want him to loose his job, if said job was actually benefiting the profession, but I also wouldn't want students going to a class for one purpose to be indoctrinated when they have gone there to learn journalism (in this specific professors job).
Academic freedom still has duties, still has restraints.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
And yet the listing was evidently made by evaluating his authorship or at least that is what the prof. says in the artile....and not based on his classroom performance....and it seems that you are doing the same.
chownah
I have already gone over this
The work done by professors feeds back into the lessons, this is why they are required to not just teach but also publish within the field/s they teach.
The Oxford Center for Mindfulness studies exists for this purpose. the published work of the professor (any professor) will inform of the very subject they teach. so if someone wants to get a grasp of the subject curriculum of a particular professor all they need do is look at their work.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Looks like we are in total agreement, then, that you judge a professor's classroom performance not on their classroom performance but on what the professor publishes.
chownah

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:24 am

chownah wrote:Looks like we are in total agreement, then, that you judge a professor's classroom performance not on their classroom performance but on what the professor publishes.
chownah
which is linked to his teaching of a subject, because it is the substance of the subject.
A Maths teacher who publishes serious papers on 4 + 4 = 2 is going to have poor substance material for the subject they teach.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

srivijaya

Post by srivijaya » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:36 am

Saoshun wrote:Red Pill means that you woke up from illusion and recognize patterns that women use against men to use them for their purpose and biological mechanism.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MorgueToeTag/videos

....when true understanding of women nature, their tricks and how ugly they can become (forced by nature and their lizard brains, biological determination etc)
I'm late to this thread, so I clicked the above link. I get a youtube page with a real mixture of trashy looking vids on a page called Turd Flinging Monkey, including some sex toy reviews. We have Tracy's dog human mouth and a Riodong 4D Large Butt, amongst others. Then the above "scientific" claim that women are forced to use ugly tricks due to having Lizard-Like brains! All down to evolution apparently.

I should think that any bloke buying this theory should also consider buying one of those sex toys (guaranteed lizard-brain free). Saves him having to deal with those awful females, and saves said females from having to deal with him. Best all round.

Buddhists don't need to swallow a divisive Red Pill. Buddha had the three poisons nailed centuries ago - applies to men and women equally. The only pill you need.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:42 am

Cittasanto wrote: I have not seen Asians spoken about on here like that.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 40#p405174
What are symbols of misogyny?

The "Red Pill"
and Milo may actually have a good point, or something is demonstrated within a video with him in, it would (as with anyone) depend on what was being demonstrated.

I guess you are a Milo Fan.

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:27 pm

Cittasanto wrote:
chownah wrote:Looks like we are in total agreement, then, that you judge a professor's classroom performance not on their classroom performance but on what the professor publishes.
chownah
which is linked to his teaching of a subject, because it is the substance of the subject.
A Maths teacher who publishes serious papers on 4 + 4 = 2 is going to have poor substance material for the subject they teach.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
I am trying to find a polite way to say this. I think you are uninformed and/or deluded about how academia works. A professor can publish outlandish theories and still provide extremely excellent course material. Academia has been operating on more or less the same principles for a long time and there have always been people like you who want to reduce course content to the absolute lowest common denomenator....only having things that no one will object to....only things that everyone can agree with. If academia bowed to your wishes it would no longer effectively develop the critical thinking skills needed more now than ever in our increasingly complex world. You are looking for a safe space which I hope you find somewhere but I hope is not to be found at university.....
chownah

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:21 pm

Mr Man wrote:

I don't believe it was used in a malicious way there, but I am not in people's minds. and have reported it for a second opinion from the mods/admin, and will message the person to let them know.

The "Red Pill"
it is a general term for waking up to reality, it could be, and is, used by anyone.
and Milo may actually have a good point, or something is demonstrated within a video with him in, it would (as with anyone) depend on what was being demonstrated.

No, I won't discount a point because of one person, I discount a point because it can not stand up to scrutiny, irrelevant, or some other reasonable reason. I don't discount things, or agree with things, because Person A said it, Company B published it.... That is simply stupid, and closed minded to relevant views, or facts.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Last edited by Cittasanto on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:52 pm

chownah wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
chownah

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
I am trying to find a polite way to say this. I think you are uninformed and/or deluded about how academia works. A professor can publish outlandish theories and still provide extremely excellent course material. Academia has been operating on more or less the same principles for a long time and there have always been people like you who want to reduce course content to the absolute lowest common denomenator....only having things that no one will object to....only things that everyone can agree with. If academia bowed to your wishes it would no longer effectively develop the critical thinking skills needed more now than ever in our increasingly complex world. You are looking for a safe space which I hope you find somewhere but I hope is not to be found at university.....
chownah
I think we can agree to disagree here.but can you give a reason why a journalism course would teach only one ideological framework over another? there is, at the end of the day, a difference between teaching about one subject amongst others, and teaching only one. If critical thinking skills are so important only one framework of looking at things is a terrible way to develop it. wearas, teaching lessons like data analysis, investigation techneques, interview techneques, logic, would do a far better job in developing such skills. and do remember universities are there to teach not indoctrinate, and when feminist theory actually windens the scope of bigotry to include marxist ideas, such as porwer in involved and it is white men who have the power... you get a group of people who think bigotry (be it racism, sexism, or whatever) can only be done by people with power and those people are straight white men, a sentiment shared on Dhammawheel a number of times.
https://www.bustle.com/articles/71400-6 ... think-they

Kind Regards
Cittasanto

John Stuart Mill

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:00 pm

Cittasanto wrote:
Mr Man wrote:

I don't believe it was used in a malicious way there, but I am not in people's minds. and have reported it for a second opinion from the mods/admin, and will message the person to let them know.

The "Red Pill"
it is a general term for waking up to reality, it could be, and is, used by anyone.

No, I won't discount a point because of one person, I discount a point because it can not stand up to scrutiny, irrelevant, or some other reasonable reason. I don't discount things, or agree with things, because Person A said it, Company B published it.... That is simply stupid, and closed minded to relevant views, or facts.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
It is disingenuous to not see the link between "Red Pill" and misogyny + alt-right.

Milo presents hate and division as does the alt-right. Rejecting hate is not stupid. Giving a platform to hate is stupid.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:03 pm

Sombre ceremonies mark 27th anniversary of the Montreal Massacre

http://www.metronews.ca/news/canada/201 ... 1039251437
MONTREAL — Polytechnique Montreal opted for a simple commemoration today to mark the 27th anniversary of the massacre that saw 14 women gunned down at the school.
A bouquet of 14 white roses was placed at a memorial plaque in honour of the 13 students and one staff member killed on Dec. 6, 1989.
The school says campus flags are also lowered to half-mast from dawn until dusk today.
Shortly after noon, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and 10 of his cabinet ministers — all women — laid flowers at the Centennial Flame in Ottawa as several of their male colleagues looked on.
Earlier, Trudeau issued a statement saying the women were killed "simply because they were women."
He says the statistics relating to violence against girls and women are unacceptable and he encouraged a conversation about how to end gender-based violence.
"On this sombre anniversary, let us reflect on what Canadians — women, men, and youth — can do to rid the country and the planet of the scourges of misogyny and gender-based violence," Trudeau said.
École Polytechnique massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89col ... e_massacre

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:02 am

Mr Man wrote:It is disingenuous to not see the link between "Red Pill" and misogyny + alt-right.

Milo presents hate and division as does the alt-right. Rejecting hate is not stupid. Giving a platform to hate is stupid.
Several groups use it, not justs bigots.
Show how milo presents hate instead of just being a troll. doing it for the lolz like he repetitively says.

John Stuart Mill

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:08 am

Cittasanto wrote:
Mr Man wrote:It is disingenuous to not see the link between "Red Pill" and misogyny + alt-right.

Show how milo presents hate instead of just being a troll. doing it for the lolz like he repetitively says.
There is a link between "Red Pill" and misogyny + alt-right. I think that is clear.

Okay, so milo is just being a troll? Well I am not going to give him breakfast.

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:04 pm

Mr Man wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:

There is a link between "Red Pill" and misogyny + alt-right. I think that is clear.

Okay, so milo is just being a troll? Well I am not going to give him breakfast.
No one has asked you to. But to disregard what someone says or examples... Out of hand just because x is involved is closed minded.
One type of person/group/... Out of any number who could and do use is it hardly a link

John Stuart Mill

Saoshun

Post by Saoshun » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:37 pm

srivijaya wrote:
Saoshun wrote:Red Pill means that you woke up from illusion and recognize patterns that women use against men to use them for their purpose and biological mechanism.

....when true understanding of women nature, their tricks and how ugly they can become (forced by nature and their lizard brains, biological determination etc)
I'm late to this thread, so I clicked the above link. I get a youtube page with a real mixture of trashy looking vids on a page called Turd Flinging Monkey, including some sex toy reviews. We have Tracy's dog human mouth and a Riodong 4D Large Butt, amongst others. Then the above "scientific" claim that women are forced to use ugly tricks due to having Lizard-Like brains! All down to evolution apparently.

I should think that any bloke buying this theory should also consider buying one of those sex toys (guaranteed lizard-brain free). Saves him having to deal with those awful females, and saves said females from having to deal with him. Best all round.

Buddhists don't need to swallow a divisive Red Pill. Buddha had the three poisons nailed centuries ago - applies to men and women equally. The only pill you need.
hahahah that was really good post, i mean thanks for good laugh. hahahaha I really cried from laughter. BUT do not judge book by it's cover, there are many videos which have scientific basis like women do not pay taxes (ever), that women will never love you (video titled "she'll never love you" which have coupe parts). It's silly to judge things because you saw some sex toy AD you must remember this person do not have buddhist background so you need to get out your safe-buddhism room into reality and see things the way they are.
Remember… the Buddha had said that everyone living in this world is crazy, by the phrase, “Sabbē prutajjana ummattakā”; excluding the Arahants, everyone else is crazy. Would you get angry if a mad person scolds? Do we get angry for a crazy thing done by a crazy person? Just think about it! :candle:

SDC

Post by SDC » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:14 am

Saoshun wrote:
srivijaya wrote:

hahahah that was really good post, i mean thanks for good laugh. hahahaha I really cried from laughter. BUT do not judge book by it's cover, there are many videos which have scientific basis like women do not pay taxes (ever), that women will never love you (video titled "she'll never love you" which have coupe parts). It's silly to judge things because you saw some sex toy AD you must remember this person do not have buddhist background so you need to get out your safe-buddhism room into reality and see things the way they are.
As a teen I used to work for the park's department. Every once in a while I would tag along with the "garbage gang" to dump their truck at the local transfer station and listening to these videos reminded me of what it felt like standing in that huge building filled with rotting trash. Thanks for the memories, Saoshun! :thumbsup:

srivijaya

Post by srivijaya » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:03 pm

Saoshun wrote:there are many videos which have scientific basis like women do not pay taxes (ever),
Scientific? Okay, I'll tell my tax-paying wife, sister and mother that - see how I get on eh :guns:
that women will never love you
They do but love is a two-way street. If your best chat up line is something like... "Hey babe, you're almost nice enough to make me forget you've got a lizard brain" you ain't going to get too far in matters of the heart.
you must remember this person do not have buddhist background
It's clear that they don't but what about you?
so you need to get out your safe-buddhism room into reality and see things the way they are.
That's exactly what Buddha teaches too, if you check it out. Buddha points you right at it.

:anjali: