The World's Top Ten Most Generous Countries

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: The World's Top Ten Most Generous Countries

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:06 am

The Thinker wrote:More meaningless propaganda.
Unlikely, given that the CAF is UK based. If Buddhists encourage others to give, is it just meaningless propaganda too?

Here is something about CAF and their methodology from their own site.

Methodology

The World Giving Index is primarily based upon data from Gallup’s World View World Poll, which is an ongoing research project carried out in more than 140 countries in 2015 that together represent around 96% of the world’s population (around 5.1 billion people). The survey asks questions on many different aspects of life today including giving behaviour. The countries surveyed and questions asked in each region varies from year to year and is determined by Gallup. More detail on Gallup’s methodology can be viewed online.

About CAF

The Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) is a leading international charity registered in the United Kingdom, with a presence in nine countries covering six continents. Its mission is to motivate society to give ever more effectively and help transform lives and communities around the world. We do this by working globally to increase the flow of funds to the charity and non-profit sectors through the provision of philanthropy advice and services.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:15 am

Stats more stats and lies? who is funding them, would it be governments ?
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:28 am

I was born in 1965, since childhood I have been informed by charities and music festivals and movements of charities and governments,how many millions possibly billions that have been given or raised for worthy causes etc. My point is if that money had have been invested properly, then cities could have been built, new forests even pastures potentially. Yet all we get is yearly expensive adverts on telly for oxfam and such like organisations.
Capitalism forbids equality.

The vanity of the wealthy is sickening.
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:59 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:
SarathW wrote: Least generous in donation.: I think it is USA
Actually the study placed the U.S. high in generosity, including in donations and helping a stranger.
I think it is not fair to stereotyping people based on a country.
These surveys are biased and rigged.
These surveys are more political or are marketing exercises.
Many people will not give charities to large organisations who spend 90% on their administration.
Some people use charities as a tax avoidance schemes.
Many people give and help in a more silent ways.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Stiphan

Post by Stiphan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:04 pm

I am not at all surprised to read the statistics about Bulgaria and Greece being among the bottom of generous countries! No one gives you anything there unless they are a kind-hearted relative or a very good friend... Then again Bulgarians are pretty poor, and Greece has been in an economical crisis, but still.