News - Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, World’s Longest-Serving Monarch, Dies. What next?

The best place for the discussion of current events and politics. A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
plwk

News - Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, World’s Longest-Serving Monarch, Dies. What next?

Postby plwk » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:11 pm

Thailand’s King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the world’s longest-serving monarch, died aged 88 on Thursday, heralding a potential new bout of instability for the politically volatile country and its military rulers. More here

Caodemarte

Re: Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, World’s Longest-Serving Monarch, Dies

Postby Caodemarte » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Beyond the loss of the well respected king, I would be deeply concerned about Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn and his reign's probable effects on Thailand.

Bundokji

Postby Bundokji » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:02 pm

Caodemarte wrote:Beyond the loss of the well respected king, I would be deeply concerned about Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn and his reign's probable effects on Thailand.

I have very limited knowledge of Thai politics, so could you please elaborate?
"On the highest throne in the world, we are seated, still, upon our arses"
Michel de Montaigne

Bundokji

Postby Bundokji » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:02 pm

Caodemarte wrote:Beyond the loss of the well respected king, I would be deeply concerned about Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn and his reign's probable effects on Thailand.

Michel de Montaigne

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:20 pm

Bundokji wrote:

This could be a mind field. It is against the law in thailand to embroil a member of the royal family in a controversy. Perhaps private messages would be better.

But I am not a moderator so do whatever you think is appropriate.
chownah

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:28 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:Was he not also somewhat famous for playing the saxophone as a pastime, I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Htlh8jU4Y&list=RD85Htlh8jU4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjLSuFd3lfo
The first song is from 1946.
The second excerpt is from 1988.
chownah

Caodemarte

Postby Caodemarte » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:44 pm

chownah wrote:
Bundokji wrote:

This could be a mind field. It is against the law in thailand to embroil a member of the royal family in a controversy. Perhaps private messages would be better.

chownah

I don't live in Thailand and this is not a political Issue. You can use Google if you are interested, just type in the Prince's name and the word scandal and just read the reliable news organizations' accounts.
Last edited by Caodemarte on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coëmgenu

Postby Coëmgenu » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:54 pm

Caodemarte wrote:I don't live in Thailand and this is not a political Issue. You can use Google if you are intersested, Just type in the Prince's name and the word scandal and just read the reliable news organizations' accounts.
I googled it and all I got was that he likes to dress in a "fashion forward" manner. Surely no one would challenge his princeliness over liking somewhat avant-garde fashion? I doubt he would wear such cloths when addressing the public on an official level. Then again, I have no clue what the political and cultural role of the king is in Thailand. They are a constitutional monarchy, yes? How involved in political decision-making is the king of Thailand?
Bhagavā arahaṃ sammasāmbuddho:
Svākkhāto yena bhagavatā dhammo / Supaṭipanno yassa bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho
Tammayaṃ bhagavantaṃ sadhammaṃ sasaṅghaṃ / Imehi sakkārehi yathārahaṃ āropitehi abhipūjayāma.
(Dedication of Offerings)
此等諸法,法住、法空、法如、法爾,法不離如,法不異如,審諦真實、不顛倒。These many dharmāḥ, the residence of these dharmāḥ, the emptiness of these dharmāḥ, these dharmāḥ self-explain, these dharmāḥ are thus, these dharmāḥ do not depart from their self-explaining, these dharmāḥ are not different than their self-explaining, judged as truly real, not delusional. (SA 296, 因緣法)
揭諦揭諦,波羅揭諦,波羅僧揭諦,菩提薩婆訶

Bundokji

Postby Bundokji » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:23 pm

chownah wrote:This could be a mind field. It is against the law in thailand to embroil a member of the royal family in a controversy. Perhaps private messages would be better.

chownah

Thanks chownah for pointing this out :anjali:
Michel de Montaigne

Bundokji

Postby Bundokji » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:23 pm

chownah wrote:This could be a mind field. It is against the law in thailand to embroil a member of the royal family in a controversy. Perhaps private messages would be better.

chownah

Thanks chownah for pointing this out :anjali:
Michel de Montaigne

Bundokji

Postby Bundokji » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:24 pm

Caodemarte wrote:I don't live in Thailand and this is not a political Issue. You can use Google if you are intersested, Just type in the Prince's name and the word scandal and just read the reliable news organizations' accounts.

Thank you for the reference :anjali:
Michel de Montaigne

Bundokji

Postby Bundokji » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:24 pm

Thank you for the reference :anjali:
Michel de Montaigne

Caodemarte

Postby Caodemarte » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:26 pm

Coëmgenu wrote: I googled it and all I got was that he likes to dress in a "fashion forward" manner. Surely no one would challenge his princeliness over liking somewhat avant-garde fashion? I doubt he would wear such cloths when addressing the public on an official level. Then again, I have no clue what the political and cultural role of the king is in Thailand. They are a constitutional monarchy, yes? How involved in political decision-making is the king of Thailand?

I did not refer to fashion or tattoos, but rather years of behavior and I'll leave it at that.

The late King was a good example of the royal family that significantly helped the modernization, stability, and independence of Thailand. He had great moral influence and was held in great respect throughout the country. The question of the monarchy's political influence and when it intervenes would require a complex and subtle answer, best left to a Thai historian.
Last edited by Caodemarte on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:29 pm

It's a sad time for Thailand. As the steadying influence since the 1940s, he will be sorely missed.

Entertainment has been cancelled for 30 days. This was the vigil before his death.

:anjali:
Mike

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:03 pm

ancientbuddhism

Re: News - Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, World’s Longest-Serving Monarch, Dies. What next?

Postby ancientbuddhism » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:22 pm

Ceremonies following the death of a Thai monarch:

From Andrew MacGregor Marshall, ‘A Kingdom in Crisis-Thailand's Struggle for Democracy in the 21st Century’, pp. 208-9

“When King Bhumibol Adulyadej dies ...

Buddhist priests will place nine sheets of gold leaf inscribed with sacred text on the nine principal parts of his body, according to the fifteenth-century palace law that governs royalty. Members of his family and the Royal Wardrobes Department will dress his corpse in silk clothes – including gloves, socks and a hat – as well as ‘heavy gold bracelets, anklets, and rings, and a golden mask … symbolic of the radiant visage of a god’. A gold ring will be placed in his mouth. After a pause, his body will be manoeuvred into a seated position:

The trunk is lifted, the palms joined opposite the face by means of an iron clamp, a sort of wedge is placed under the chin, and the knees are lifted to the level of the hands and tied in a sitting position. The corpse, thus seated, is placed on sixteen long strips of cotton material, the ends of which are raised and tied over the top of the head.
    (Quaritch Wales, 1931)

Bhumibol’s personal crown will be placed on his head, and ‘a heavy gold chain studded with diamonds’ around his neck. Then ‘the dead king … arrayed in richer attire than he ever wore in his lifetime’ will be wedged inside an inner urn ‘of silver, with a lid that can be hermetically sealed’, which is in turn placed inside an octagonal outer urn ‘of great magnificence, being of gold ornamented with the nine gems and capped by a tapering pyramidal spire’. This will be taken to the Grand Palace and placed on a catafalque under a nine-tiered white umbrella. His body will remain inside the urn for months or years, as monks chant continuously day and night beside it and Bhumibol’s favourite dishes, prepared by palace chefs, are placed in front of the catafalque at mealtimes. On set days of the week, for a few hours, ordinary Thais will be allowed to come and pay respects (Quaritch Wales, 1931). A period of mourning will be declared. According to the US embassy: ‘Public celebrations would certainly be canceled, and most Thais would find it inappropriate to attend concerts or other entertainment events, at least during the early part of the mourning period’ (07BANGKOK5718). Until the reign of Rama IV it was compulsory for all Thais to shave their heads during the mourning period, but this practice has been discontinued.”
“I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves

robertk

Re: News - Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, World’s Longest-Serving Monarch, Dies. What next?

Postby robertk » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:56 pm

From the new york times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/15/opini ... .html?_r=1

This is a bleak backdrop for the end of King Bhumibol’s reign. He was the model of a great king — modest, earnest and selfless, with his attention focused on the neediest. But he has left Thailand, as well as his heir, in the same situation he inherited all those years ago: in the hands of corrupt and shortsighted generals who rule however they want. And those King Bhumibol cared about the most — the Thai people — must suffer the consequences.

from france24
http://m.france24.com/en/20161014-show- ... 2016-10-14
BANGKOK (AFP) -
Late Thai king Bhumibol Adulyadej has left behind one of the world's richest monarchies, with a multi-billion-dollar empire spanning property, construction and banks

robertk

Postby robertk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:48 am

http://www.newmandala.org/politics-of-the-interregnum/

The end of Bhumibol’s reign is an incredible historical moment, one of genuine grief for the late king, if not for opportunities missed during his reign. But also an opportunity for change.

Return to “News, Current Events & Politics”