Pauline Hanson calls for Muslim immigration ban in maiden speech to Senate

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
plwk

Pauline Hanson calls for Muslim immigration ban in maiden speech to Senate

Post by plwk » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:11 am

The full video as above...

One Nation senator Pauline Hanson has heralded her political comeback by warning Australia is at risk of being "swamped by Muslims" and telling those who are unwilling to adapt to the Australian way of life to "go back to where you came from". More here

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Pauline Hanson calls for Muslim immigration ban in maiden speech to Senate

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:18 am

Greetings,

As someone who supports the Greens, I was very disappointed by their "stunt". I let a few Greens senators know my thoughts earlier today...

"If we're walking out when opposing views are being expressed then aren't we demonstrating that we are the disrespectful, intolerant and bigoted ones with respect to views we don't like? Let people speak, and the merits (or otherwise) of their words will be evident to people for themselves. This stunt leaves me unimpressed."

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:00 pm

What did you make of the speech Paul?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:09 pm

Greetings Mr. Man,
Mr Man wrote:What did you make of the speech Paul?
I only heard the highlights reel on the news. As I understand it, much of it was simply a rehash of a speech given 20 years ago, just with references to Asians replaced with reference to Muslims.

I think the anti-Islam / anti-Sharia case has been made better and far more eloquently by others, and even when Pauline Hanson gets the time beforehand to type and prepare her speech in advance, it's still not particularly profound or well articulated. Nonetheless, many people did vote for her party and their elected representatives do deserve a voice in the house of parliament.

As Aristotle said, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it", and I think all intelligent people should listen to a diverse array of views, even if simply to understand others better - not merely contemptuously dismissing views that one disagrees with out of hand as being "racist", "Islamophobic", "xenophobic" or whatever. Understanding doesn't come when one's instant response is just to hurl out such terms in order to shut down conversation. The Greens failed that test yesterday, and for that demonstration of intolerance and bigotry I am disappointed in them.

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:25 pm

The Greens failed that test yesterday
Agree!

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27608
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi, Paul,
All I know is what I've seen on ABC-TV news, plus what you've said here.
Did the Greens really demonstrate "intolerance and bigotry" by walking out, or did they just mark their dissent?
How else might they have responded, within parliamentary rules, and made their views clear?

Just to make my own views clear: I acknowledge that Hanson legitimately represents a certain sector of Aussie opinion but dislike the both the opinions and the person. I don't know what the best strategy for combatting them may be, but I don't believe that showing respect for the opinions is useful. Showing respect for the people who espouse them? That's a tougher question. Spouting hatred for their own gain - as Hanson may be - is a more serious defect than mere ignorance.

:namaste:
Kim

Disciple

Post by Disciple » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:44 pm

She has a point. I'm more pro immigration than any liberal out there but Muslim immigration should be checked.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:55 pm

Disciple wrote:She has a point.

More like a blunt object.
I'm more pro immigration than any liberal out there
I doubt it.
but Muslim immigration should be checked.
Why?

:coffee:
Kim

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:06 am

Greetings Kim,

Yes, I do think the Greens senators demonstrated bigotry.
The dictionary wrote:Bigot: a person who is intolerant towards those holding different opinions.
There is an unspoken misconception prevalent that bigotry is the sole province of extreme right-wingers. I see no reason why the left-wing deserves some kind of free pass in terms of bigotry. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, as far as I'm concerned.

As for what the appropriate response was, it was certainly not the grandstanding and virtue-signalling that was demonstrated by the Greens senators during her maiden speech. A simple non applause at the end would have sufficed. There'll be plenty of opportunities during the next 6 years to take her to task for any erroneous views... yesterday's protest was disrespectful and ill-conceived.

Metta,

davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:19 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Disciple wrote:She has a point.

More like a blunt object.
I'm more pro immigration than any liberal out there
I doubt it.
but Muslim immigration should be checked.
Why?

:coffee:
Kim
Because its more a political system than religion. Muslim immigration necessitates pockets of mini governments. Any sane government would ban a mini governmental system with its own laws regarding child custody after divorce etc.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:33 am

I think the greens acted quite rationally, when faced with such extreme racism and bigotry as Hanson, maybe the best thing is to just walk out, after all her views do not deserve to be heard or considered IMHO.
Last edited by lyndon taylor on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:42 am

You can read here a practicing muslim from Canada expressing his serious concerns to the Canadian parliament over mass immigration, especially from muslim countries.

When muslims, ex muslims, atheists, skeptics, scientists, muslim reformers and bona fide liberal intellectuals keep hammering this point over and over and over and over again, I think the nay sayers should stop and rethink their position. Given the year we had in Europe, the sudden rise of nationalist right wing parties and the years ahead of us it's time for the ostriges to pull their head out of the sand and start thinking clearly about this. We are literally in a 1930s type of situation and the Winston Churchills of this planet are repeating the warnings that should actually be obvious to anyone with an internet connection and the ability and willingness to join the dots.

http://nocompulsion.com/close-the-borde ... testimony/
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:12 am

SarathW wrote:
The Greens failed that test yesterday
Agree!

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27608
Sorry Paul.
I misunderstood it.
I think walking out is another way to express your opinion.
So they did not fail the test.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:12 am

lyndon taylor wrote:I think the greens acted quite rationally, when faced with such extreme racism and bigotry as Hanson, maybe the best thing is to just walk out, after all her views to not deserve to be heard or considered IMHO.
What exactly is racist about wanting one civil law to apply to everyone rather than importing people who set up ghettos where they establish a rival government with rules from the stone age? Set up their own divorce courts, etc. People who call this "racist" are merely uneducated on the issue, and that is by design.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:25 am

davidbrainerd wrote:
lyndon taylor wrote:I think the greens acted quite rationally, when faced with such extreme racism and bigotry as Hanson, maybe the best thing is to just walk out, after all her views to not deserve to be heard or considered IMHO.
What exactly is racist about wanting one civil law to apply to everyone rather than importing people who set up ghettos where they establish a rival government with rules from the stone age? Set up their own divorce courts, etc. People who call this "racist" are merely uneducated on the issue, and that is by design.
Pauline Hanson is not a racist?? You must not be an Australian!!
Last edited by lyndon taylor on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/