POTUS 2016, part 3

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Locked

Who would you like to see winning the presidency of the U.S.?

Hillary Clinton - (Dem.)
38
47%
Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Rep.)
21
26%
Gary Johnson - Bill Weld (Libertarian)
8
10%
Jill Stein (Green)
14
17%
 
Total votes: 81

chownah
Posts: 7496
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by chownah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:44 am

She has been cut considerable slack by the media about past controversies. There are so many that there is a Wikipedia category about them (not page but category with 14 different controversies linking to it) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... troversies
EDIT: IN THIS POST I INCORRECTLY REFERRED TO WIKI LEAKS WHEN ACTUALLY I MEANT TO REFER TO WIKIPEDIA. A CORRECTED VERSION OF THIS POST CAN BE FOUND A COUPLE OF POSTS DOWN.
CHOWNAH
I have not read any of the wiki stuff referenced here and I am not commenting on its content.....I am just wanting to point out that the existence of a bunch of wiki article is not an indication that their subject(s) are important, noteworthy, complete, or credible. It only takes one deluded person to create a wiki leak subject or even a bunch of wiki leak subjects.

Bottom line, don't take the existence of a wiki leak subject or even group of subjects to be a sign of importance, noteworthiness, completeness, or credibility. Someday you might find a wiki article about how wonderful chownah is.....it could happen....easily....
chownah
Last edited by chownah on Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
No_Mind
Posts: 1911
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: India

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by No_Mind » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:17 am

chownah wrote:I have not read any of the wiki stuff referenced here and I am not commenting on its content.....I am just wanting to point out that the existence of a bunch of wiki article is not an indication that their subject(s) are important, noteworthy, complete, or credible. It only takes one deluded person to create a wiki leak subject or even a bunch of wiki leak subjects.

Bottom line, don't take the existence of a wiki leak subject or even group of subjects to be a sign of importance, noteworthiness, completeness, or credibility. Someday you might find a wiki article about how wonderful chownah is.....it could happen....easily....
chownah
Chownah, as Lyndon said I do not have a right to comment/lecture about US elections since I am not an American. And this subject is very contentious. This election is very different from past elections.

And I hate to correct you because correcting someone creates antagonism. It is not Wikileaks that I quoted but Wikipedia. There is a difference. I hope you would inform yourself about it.

Wikileaks is an international non-profit journalistic organisation that publishes secret information and news leaks.

Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia. On the whole it is balanced and its contents are not fictitious.

And all of those 14 controversies have been extensively reported in reputed newspapers. You can verify them from newspaper archives.

A controversy does not mean there is a culprit. Just that there has been a controversy. Clinton has had more controversies than any Presidential candidate in recent history. Any half decent Republican Presidential candidate (I do not consider Trump to be one) would have defeated her hand down this November.

US Democrats can consider this election result a manna from heaven.

Since I am not an American and do not have a right to lecture Americans, at this point I retire from this thread.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

chownah
Posts: 7496
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by chownah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:46 am

No_Mind wrote:
And I hate to correct you because correcting someone creates antagonism. It is not Wikileaks that I quoted but Wikipedia. There is a difference. I hope you would inform yourself about it.
Thanks for pointing out my error....I sometimes refer to this kind of an error as being a "brain fart". Below is what I meant to post:
I have not read any of the wikipedia stuff referenced here and I am not commenting on its content.....I am just wanting to point out that the existence of a bunch of wikipedia article is not an indication that their subject(s) are important, noteworthy, complete, or credible. It only takes one deluded person to create a wikipedia subject or even a bunch of wikipedia subjects.

Bottom line, don't take the existence of a wikipedia subject or even group of subjects to be a sign of importance, noteworthiness, completeness, or credibility. Someday you might find a wikipedia article about how wonderful chownah is.....it could happen....easily....
chownah
P.S. Correcting me does not create antagonism....at least it doesn't create antagonism in me.
chownah

chownah
Posts: 7496
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by chownah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Just finished watching the third debate and I think the moderator did a noticeably better job then what was done in the first two debates.....

My personal view is that trumps wanting to wait for the elections to happen before making a statement about committing to respecting the outcome was a good comment for him to make. I am not surprised that so many people are making such a big deal about it as I see it as being common sense. Asking trump to judge the acceptability of the outcome of the election at this early date is like asking someone to judge a book by its cover.....but this is politics so I fully understand why his perfectly reasonable reply was spun into a big stink....
chownah

chownah
Posts: 7496
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by chownah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:08 pm

chownah wrote:http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 ... -forecast/
thought I'd bump up this poll results site as it is probably one of the most credible ones available
chownah
bump

User avatar
pilgrim
Posts: 1531
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by pilgrim » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:15 am

I'm not an American but even I find this Elections to be depressing. How did the US end up in this position where the choices comes down to a sexist buffoon and a lying warmonger? :stirthepot:

I was naive to think that terrible politicians were the preserve of my country. :tongue:

chownah
Posts: 7496
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by chownah » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:38 am

pilgrim wrote: How did the US end up in this position where the choices comes down to a sexist buffoon and a lying warmonger?
Greed and aversion?
I don't think the campaign is so depressing as is the condition of voters who are after all fueling this circus. The campaign is great as it serves as a window onto the condition of humanity in one of the most educated and technologically advantaged populations on earth......sort of makes me think about the buddha's teachings about abandoning worldly things.
chownah

plwk
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 am

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by plwk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:22 pm


Phena
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 6:40 am

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by Phena » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:31 am

chownah wrote:
pilgrim wrote: How did the US end up in this position where the choices comes down to a sexist buffoon and a lying warmonger?
Greed and aversion?
I don't think the campaign is so depressing as is the condition of voters who are after all fueling this circus. The campaign is great as it serves as a window onto the condition of humanity in one of the most educated and technologically advantaged populations on earth......sort of makes me think about the buddha's teachings about abandoning worldly things.
chownah
Great post Chownah! Exactly ...

Digity
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 am

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by Digity » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:32 am

Watching these elections does increase one's sense of samvega, for sure. I do think you can use this sort of stuff to help fuel your practice. Just look at how close a buffoon like Trump has gotten to being one of the most powerful people in the world. Makes you realize beings aren't that bright and that the best course of action is to follow the practice that leads out of this cycle of becoming. Why become further embedded in this world when it's the way it is?

User avatar
cjmacie
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:49 am

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by cjmacie » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:12 am

Digity wrote:Watching these elections does increase one's sense of samvega, for sure. I do think you can use this sort of stuff to help fuel your practice. Just look at how close a buffoon like Trump has gotten to being one of the most powerful people in the world. Makes you realize beings aren't that bright and that the best course of action is to follow the practice that leads out of this cycle of becoming. Why become further embedded in this world when it's the way it is?
For any one who's ever studied history in depth, what's really new or different about all this? Certainly not the conceit that this time now (as in any historical mement in the eyes of those living it), "our" time is somehow really unique, "exceptional".

Digity
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 am

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by Digity » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:20 am

cjmacie wrote:
Digity wrote:Watching these elections does increase one's sense of samvega, for sure. I do think you can use this sort of stuff to help fuel your practice. Just look at how close a buffoon like Trump has gotten to being one of the most powerful people in the world. Makes you realize beings aren't that bright and that the best course of action is to follow the practice that leads out of this cycle of becoming. Why become further embedded in this world when it's the way it is?
For any one who's ever studied history in depth, what's really new or different about all this? Certainly not the conceit that this time now (as in any historical mement in the eyes of those living it), "our" time is somehow really unique, "exceptional".
The difference is that it's happening now. We're seeing it unfold in front of our eyes. That has a much different effect on the psyche then picking up a history book and reading about something you weren't even there to witness.

plwk
Posts: 1464
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:14 am

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by plwk » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:01 am


User avatar
cjmacie
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:49 am

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by cjmacie » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:04 am

Digity wrote:
cjmacie wrote:
Digity wrote:Watching these elections does increase one's sense of samvega, for sure. I do think you can use this sort of stuff to help fuel your practice. Just look at how close a buffoon like Trump has gotten to being one of the most powerful people in the world. Makes you realize beings aren't that bright and that the best course of action is to follow the practice that leads out of this cycle of becoming. Why become further embedded in this world when it's the way it is?
For any one who's ever studied history in depth, what's really new or different about all this? Certainly not the conceit that this time now (as in any historical mement in the eyes of those living it), "our" time is somehow really unique, "exceptional".
The difference is that it's happening now. We're seeing it unfold in front of our eyes. That has a much different effect on the psyche then picking up a history book and reading about something you weren't even there to witness.
Yes, and we're caught-up in reactivity, apprehension, desperation, etc.

Not that different when one studies history to the extent of being able to imagine what being there was like. E.g. good historical moving-picture films.

Or perhaps the skill of being able to witness past rebirths / "lives"? :roll:

20161025 edit adding emoticon
Last edited by cjmacie on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Digity
Posts: 1380
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 am

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by Digity » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:10 pm

Well, Donald Trump is a good example of the human psyche gone awry. That's the part that I like to reflect on and it gives me a sense of samvega, because I'm well aware of how the human mind can go off the deep-end. But sure, history is full of stuff to fuel our sense of samvega too...not denying that and I use that too at times.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests