POTUS 2016, part 3

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.

Who would you like to see winning the presidency of the U.S.?

Hillary Clinton - (Dem.)
47%
Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Rep.)
26%
Gary Johnson - Bill Weld (Libertarian)
10%
Jill Stein (Green)
17%

Total votes: 81

SarathW

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by SarathW »

I watched the following video about America.
I am not sure the content in this video is accurate but found very interesting.
I decided to post it here as I am not sure, where else to post it.
It is worth discussing the content in this video as a separate topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh-D5LJzrX8
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Phena

Post by Phena »

SDC wrote:Interesting how the US gov’t can all of the sudden be honest when under a supposed honest president, and even more so when fantasizing about what life would be like had “someone else” won. But considering the reckless and corrupt track record of the US gov’t - which has been thoroughly discussed here - I did not expect to see such selective attitudes when constructing the narrative for this latest incident. This is yet another chance for the world to call us out for what we are and instead they run to the defense of the representatives of both their sensibilities and political affiliation and thereby continue to hide the problem. This is why no one can ever catch the US with their pants down --- too busy gunning for scapegoats and “right now” problems. The healthiest thing would be for multiple people from both sides to go down as a result of this.
:strawman:
Phena

Post by Phena »

Mr Man wrote:
SDC wrote:
Interesting how the US gov’t can all of the sudden be honest when under a supposed honest president,
Has someone said that?
SDC wrote: and even more so when fantasizing about what life would be like had “someone else” won.
Who has been "fantasizing about what life would be like had “someone else” won"?
SDC wrote:But considering the reckless and corrupt track record of the US gov’t - which has been thoroughly discussed here - I did not expect to see such selective attitudes when constructing the narrative for this latest incident.
Do you have examples of the selective attitudes? Do you mean on this forum?
SDC wrote: This is yet another chance for the world to call us out for what we are and instead they run to the defense of the representatives of both their sensibilities and political affiliation and thereby continue to hide the problem.
I don't think this is true. My UK political affiliation does not transpose to the US. Do you have examples of this?
SDC wrote:This is why no one can ever catch the US with their pants down --- too busy gunning for scapegoats and “right now” problems.
America has got pants down right now and the right now problem is rather a big one (a dysfunctional govt.). Has anyone noticed?
SDC wrote: The healthiest thing would be for multiple people from both sides to go down as a result of this.
If they have done wrong.

---

PS I wanted to put a "friendly dialogue smiley" here but could not find the appropriate one.
:goodpost: You've pretty much covered most of SDC's mischaracterisations, conflations and misrepresentations.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Mr Man wrote:PS I wanted to put a "friendly dialogue smiley" here but could not find the appropriate one.
Thanks...of course I assumed malice. ;)
Mr Man wrote:...
I'm not going to multi-quote and respond to everything. Over here, the majority of news outlets are downplaying and outright dismissing everything and most people are more than fine with following suit. The mere mention of these applications to the FISA court are being passed off as fluff. It is hilarious.

Yes I was speaking beyond the forum, but that is not to say that people here do not feel the same way.

I absolutely think it transposes and there is not a problem with that, but I was not directing that at you or anyone from outside the US.

America has been corrupt and dysfunctional probably always. Collusion between gov't and the wealthy has been a feature from the beginning and worse so since the onset of central banking. Again, it is fascinating when the world chooses to point it out and who they hold responsible. Trump (and the rest of us) are now bearing, from many abroad, the brunt of a reaction to hundreds of years of mistakes and hard truths just because contemporaries have decided that they want credit for pointing it out now that a rather unstable, wildcard is in the White House. It is surely cute. PM me your address and I'll send you a cookie... :tongue:
SDC

Post by SDC »

Phena wrote:
SDC wrote:Interesting how the US gov’t can all of the sudden be honest when under a supposed honest president, and even more so when fantasizing about what life would be like had “someone else” won. But considering the reckless and corrupt track record of the US gov’t - which has been thoroughly discussed here - I did not expect to see such selective attitudes when constructing the narrative for this latest incident. This is yet another chance for the world to call us out for what we are and instead they run to the defense of the representatives of both their sensibilities and political affiliation and thereby continue to hide the problem. This is why no one can ever catch the US with their pants down --- too busy gunning for scapegoats and “right now” problems. The healthiest thing would be for multiple people from both sides to go down as a result of this.
:strawman:
Of course it is, Phena...

Sadly, I've grown to expect nothing more.
alan

Re: There is such a thing as objective reality.

Post by alan »

Oh, don't be ridiculous. Stupid stuff like that pisses me off.
alan

Post by alan »

Hillary is a decent person and good public servant. She's intelligent and hard working professional who would have been a good President.
And yet? We have to put up with fake stories about her. It's expected from the right, but when Bernie people do it, well then that really is stupid.
Also, I don't get this whole anti-bank thing. What do you suggest as an alternative?
It's not banks, it's the mindset of people who run them, which is short term profit above all else.
New regulations on their behavior would go a long way towards solving that problem.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

alan wrote:Oh, don't be ridiculous. Stupid stuff like that pisses me off.
Which stuff?
alan

Post by alan »

Should be obvious from my reply. And the headline of my post.
chownah

Post by chownah »

alan wrote:...........
..........he is not connected to reality. He's a shameless liar. He has no idea what is real, and what is fake.
If he is disconnected from reality and doesn't know what is real and what is fake then it is highly unlikely that he is a sameless liar....just deluded.
Make up your mind. Is he a liar or is he deluded.
People who make false statement do to disconnection from reality are deluded.
People who are connected to reality and knowingly make false statements are liars.
chownah
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Reality is subjective. Ask anyone with bad vision. Our brains and perceptive faculties create a reality out of appearances. Then we remove our selves from the reality and create the false dichotomy of subject and object. The appearance of the object, however, depends on the person, the perceptive faculties of the person, and the brain. When you actually view reality as a subjective feature of appearance you are closer to "objectivity" than when you plainly take appearances as fact. As for your rant on Trump - let the man do his job. If you don't like it after four years, kick him to the curb.
pulga

Post by pulga »

It's striking that the New York Times itself reported in February that General Flynn's phone was tapped when he had his conversation with the Russian ambassador. Flynn's conversation took place in Trump Tower. Even if President Obama didn't authorize the tap, he was probably informed of it in his briefings.

Why is such a claim preposterous when it comes from President Trump, and matter-of-course when it comes from the media?
chownah

Post by chownah »

pulga wrote: Why is such a claim preposterous when it comes from President Trump, and matter-of-course when it comes from the media?
I'm surprised you have to ask this question. If you look at the kinds of things trump has said over the last year or so it should be obvious why so many people read him through the lens of preposterousness. I think he does it intentionally. I think he intentionally says things that sound preposterous but he words them in a way so that given just the right narrow interpretation it can make some kind of sense. In this way he makes the media look unreliable to some people and he trains people to start accepting his truly preposterous ideas and just assume that it is prejudice on the part of media and that he is really telling them the truth. I think it is one of his main ploys and has been all along. I'm surprised that more people haven't figured this out.
brainwashing
chownah
pulga

Post by pulga »

It's obvious that the phones in Trump Tower were tapped. The question is the extent to which President Obama was involved in the tapping, and the justification for it. The DOJ and U.S. intelligence were so heavily politicized under his reign that I wouldn't be surprised if a warrant were issued on the flimsiest of evidence.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

pulga wrote:It's striking that the New York Times itself reported in February that General Flynn's phone was tapped when he had his conversation with the Russian ambassador. Flynn's conversation took place in Trump Tower.
Hi Pulga
Do you have a link to the article where The New York Times says "General Flynn's phjone was tapped"?
Thanks