POTUS 2016, part 3

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.

Who would you like to see winning the presidency of the U.S.?

Hillary Clinton - (Dem.)
47%
Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Rep.)
26%
Gary Johnson - Bill Weld (Libertarian)
10%
Jill Stein (Green)
17%

Total votes: 81

chownah

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by chownah » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:26 pm

pulga wrote:
chownah wrote:Whatever crimes we might imagine that clinton has committed could not be "paid for" by loss of an election or public opinion. To say so is just to be complicit in promulgating the idea that privelaged people are above the law.
chownah
I never said that Clinton fully paid for her crimes, only that she is suffering some consequences for having committed them.
Is she suffering from the crimes you imagine she has committed?...or has she been convicted of a crime and I just haven't gotten the news?
chownah

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Mkoll wrote:The suggestion would be not to be sarcastically insult the intelligence of someone you don't know well. Where I'm from, that kind of sarcasm is used jokingly and playfully in the right situation, and between people who know each other well. Here, it's just rude.
Then I flatly beg your pardon for my poor choice of words.

However do you not agree that the fact that some people in the DoJ would be busy prosecuting a citizen would not affect the ability of other totally unrelated people to tackle whatever problems the country is facing in different areas?
http://www.buddha-vacana.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SDC

Post by SDC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Trump seems to have handled himself well in his first press confrenece this morning, although I do not think he took enough questions from reporters. I would have liked to see him go for at least an additional 30 minutes. I am sure he will be criticized for this and rightfully so.

robertk

Post by robertk » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:21 pm

SDC wrote:Trump seems to have handled himself well in his first press confrenece this morning, although I do not think he took enough questions from reporters. I would have liked to see him go for at least an additional 30 minutes. I am sure he will be criticized for this and rightfully so.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4073037

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Buddha Vacana wrote:
Mkoll wrote:The suggestion would be not to be sarcastically insult the intelligence of someone you don't know well. Where I'm from, that kind of sarcasm is used jokingly and playfully in the right situation, and between people who know each other well. Here, it's just rude.
Then I flatly beg your pardon for my poor choice of words.

However do you not agree that the fact that some people in the DoJ would be busy prosecuting a citizen would not affect the ability of other totally unrelated people to tackle whatever problems the country is facing in different areas?
Thanks.

I do agree with that. My point was that with a Hillary trial, the national attention would be focused on it, i.e. the attention of everyday people and the media. It would be a distracting circus that could also be used by Trump and Congress to push through their agenda without getting as much attention as they would otherwise.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

robertk

Post by robertk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:09 am

Is that what I think it is in Putin's drink..
C13f_orXcAEC3RY.jpg
C13f_orXcAEC3RY.jpg (123.44 KiB) Viewed 441 times

SDC

Post by SDC » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:48 am

:jumping:

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:19 am

What is being imagined as being in putins drink?
chownah

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 am

Watersports.

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:31 am

To a degree Hillary has already paid for her crimes in losing the presidency and becoming perhaps the most reviled woman in our country's history.
If I reviled clinton who would suffer from it more...her or me.
I am probably one of the most reviled posters at dhammawheel....do you think I suffer for it?
Clinton is a professional politician....being reviled is part of the job....I think by now she is pretty much inured to it.
I think that Carrie Nation was way more reviled than clinton. Do you think that carrie nation suffered for that more than clinton?
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:36 am

Mkoll wrote:Watersports.
Urine?....are you imagining that putin is going to drink some urine or that he is offering it to trump?
It doesn't look like urine to me.
chownah

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:40 am

chownah wrote:
Urine?....are you imagining that putin is going to drink some urine or that he is offering it to trump?
chownah
It's a joke. robertk was making a joke.

robertk

Post by robertk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:44 am

Mkoll wrote:
chownah wrote:
chownah
It's a joke. robertk was making a joke.
thanks.
(Why are jokes not funny if we have to explain them)

Buddha Vacana

Post by Buddha Vacana » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:07 am

Mkoll wrote:I do agree with that. My point was that with a Hillary trial, the national attention would be focused on it, i.e. the attention of everyday people and the media. It would be a distracting circus that could also be used by Trump and Congress to push through their agenda without getting as much attention as they would otherwise.
I thoroughly disagree. Since when people get a free pass with the justice just because it would attract attention? With that kind of argument you can almost close you eyes on anything. All the more that it would take months of behind closed doors investigation before the media had any substance to chew on, so it would not happen during the first weeks, probably months of Trump's tenure.

Anyway, the media are perfectly capable of covering more than one issue at a time, and if they close their eyes on important issues, that is because they are complacent towards the power in place, which does not seem to be the case with Trump at least as far the NYT and the WP are concerned.

But the real issue imo is that she would not go down without bringing Trump with her, since I am sure she knows a lot about his practices of corruption, since he was certainly among the ones to whom she has offered pay for play.
http://www.buddha-vacana.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 am

robertk wrote:Is that what I think it is in Putin's drink..
What do you think it is that is in putin's drink? You say it is a joke. Ok, I don't get it....so please tell me what it is that you think you see in putin's drink.
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:36 am

Mkoll wrote: My point was that with a Hillary trial, the national attention would be focused on it, i.e. the attention of everyday people and the media. It would be a distracting circus that could also be used by Trump and Congress to push through their agenda without getting as much attention as they would otherwise.
If this were the case I would think that trump et al. would be playing it up big and creating all the distraction that they could....it would make their intentions easier to accomplish.
chownah

robertk

Post by robertk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 am

chownah wrote:
What do you think it is that is in putin's drink? You say it is a joke. Ok, I don't get it....so please tell me what it is that you think you see in putin's drink.
chownah
Let's just say there was some 'yellow' journalism involved..
:toilet:

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:09 pm

robertk wrote:
chownah wrote:
chownah
Let's just say there was some 'yellow' journalism involved..
Watersports....'yellow' journalism....seems like you are saying you think there is urine in putin's drink. But the picture is not especially yellow in a way that would suggest urine. It is a champagne glass and champagne can be a yellowish color anyway.

Why not just say it whatever it is....is it that bad......if so then why did you bring it up?
chownah

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:25 pm

chownah wrote:
robertk wrote: Let's just say there was some 'yellow' journalism involved..
Watersports....'yellow' journalism....seems like you are saying you think there is urine in putin's drink. But the picture is not especially yellow in a way that would suggest urine. It is a champagne glass and champagne can be a yellowish color anyway.

Why not just say it whatever it is....is it that bad......if so then why did you bring it up?
chownah
http://animalinyou.com/animals/sea-lion

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Apropos attempts to transform the American presidency into some sort of dynastic monarchy, here's a song from the early 1970's, when Richard Nixon was at his peak (and one of the first hits of the then emerging Reggae genre):