POTUS 2016, part 3

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.

Who would you like to see winning the presidency of the U.S.?

Hillary Clinton - (Dem.)
47%
Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Rep.)
26%
Gary Johnson - Bill Weld (Libertarian)
10%
Jill Stein (Green)
17%

Total votes: 81

SDC

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by SDC » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Moderator Note: Off topic posts removed. Any further personal attacks are going to result in discipline. You're giving us too much work on such a nice Saturday.

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:50 am

Hello.

I found this video from Big Think very interesting. Penn Jillette talks about Libertarianism, Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, Gary Johnson, Bernie Sanders and the future of american politics. It's great food for thought and I didn't agree with everything. But the final bit about how the ideal direction of American politics should be a back and forth between people of the calibre of Bernie Sanders and Gary Johnson was definitely the thing I would also like to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGAO100hYcQ
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

practitioner

Post by practitioner » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:49 am

Donald Trump is not ideal, but he is the least of evils or incompetents or social fascists that are in the field.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:29 am

One would think that Buddhism's emphasis on "seeing the true nature of things" would have some influence on political discussions, evidently not!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:26 am

I havent been on Dhammawheel very long so forgive me if this is a stupid question. But why is this topic on Dhammawheel? I saw it and i found it a bit strange lol. I have no objections to the topic i just think its an odd thing to put on a Buddhism forum lol.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism"

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:55 am

TRobinson465 wrote:I havent been on Dhammawheel very long so forgive me if this is a stupid question. But why is this topic on Dhammawheel? I saw it and i found it a bit strange lol. I have no objections to the topic i just think its an odd thing to put on a Buddhism forum lol.
Buddhists like to talk about politics and in that discussion sometimes elements of the dhamma come to light and are discussed. If you think politics is a strange topic to have on a buddhist forum you should check out the word association thread.
chownah

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:39 am

chownah wrote:
TRobinson465 wrote:I havent been on Dhammawheel very long so forgive me if this is a stupid question. But why is this topic on Dhammawheel? I saw it and i found it a bit strange lol. I have no objections to the topic i just think its an odd thing to put on a Buddhism forum lol.
Buddhists like to talk about politics and in that discussion sometimes elements of the dhamma come to light and are discussed. If you think politics is a strange topic to have on a buddhist forum you should check out the word association thread.
chownah
Cool. Thanks for the info.

Anyways, back on topic. Well i think proportion of donations isnt an equal indicator of generosity. If someone made $10 million and gave away 50% of it, he would still have $5 million. Whereas somebody making $30,000 and only giving $10,000 is arguably making a bigger sacrifice. The proportion is lower but considering there kind of is a minimum living expenses factor i would say the $30,000 guy made a bigger sacrifice.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism"

cjmacie

Post by cjmacie » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:28 am

Politics makes for strange bed-fellows -- or maybe not:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37177938

rowboat

Post by rowboat » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:58 pm

The End Of A Republican Party
Legend has it that after leveling Carthage in the Third Punic War, Roman army generals ordered that the city’s fields be sown with salt so that they’d lie fallow for years, Roman generals not being particularly well known for their benevolence in victory.

Many Republicans think Donald Trump’s nomination is doing roughly the same thing to their party: destroying any chance for growth it once had and leaving the GOP to wither and die on Trump vineyard vines.

“My general sense, looking at this election, is that what we’re witnessing here is the end of something much more than the beginning of something,” Yuval Levin, editor of the conservative policy journal National Affairs, told me recently.

Moments of historical change in the course of a party’s life can be difficult to spot. In “Party Ideologies in America, 1828-1996,” political scientist John Gerring marks the beginning of the modern Republican Party as Herbert Hoover’s shifting campaign rhetoric in 1928 and 1932, when he talked more about the virtues of the American home and family than hard-tack economics. Hoover’s oratory about the progress of the individual being threatened by an overzealous government bureaucracy stuck around for the next eight decades, and the wisdom of generations has helped us discern that this was indeed the start of a new Republican era.

The shock of 2016, though, is just how self-evident the inflection point at which the Republican Party finds itself is; Trump is a one-man crisis for the GOP. The party has been growing more conservative and less tolerant of deviations from doctrine over the past decades, so what does it mean that a man who has freely eschewed conservative orthodoxy on policy is now the Republicans’ standard-bearer?

Racial and cultural resentment have replaced the party’s small government ethos
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

badscooter

Post by badscooter » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:44 am

lyndon taylor wrote:One would think that Buddhism's emphasis on "seeing the true nature of things" would have some influence on political discussions, evidently not!!
Agreed!!! Seeing how many people actually want Hillary in office makes me lose hope for humanity
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"

badscooter

Post by badscooter » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:54 am

Can someone show one thing that Hillary has done that would qualify her as being a good leader? Can someone tell me what strengths she brings to the table? Can someone tell why, given that it is the perfect time to introduce a third party when both the two major parties have the most unfit candidates in history running, people are not flocking to support one of the third party candidates?
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"

rowboat

Post by rowboat » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:56 am

badscooter wrote:
lyndon taylor wrote:One would think that Buddhism's emphasis on "seeing the true nature of things" would have some influence on political discussions, evidently not!!
Agreed!!! Seeing how many people actually want Hillary in office makes me lose hope for humanity
The implication is that you believe Donald Trump would make a more capable president than Hillary Clinton which is a remarkable and slightly bizarre self indictment.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:24 am

badscooter wrote:
You have it all wrong, there is nothing "enlightened" about Donald Trump or his policies!!!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

badscooter

Post by badscooter » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:47 am

lyndon taylor wrote:
badscooter wrote:
You have it all wrong, there is nothing "enlightened" about Donald Trump or his policies!!!!
I never said trump was enlightened!!! I never even said I was voting for trump!!

badscooter

Post by badscooter » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:49 am

rowboat wrote:
badscooter wrote:
The implication is that you believe Donald Trump would make a more capable president than Hillary Clinton which is a remarkable and slightly bizarre self indictment.
I don't want either of them in office.. I'm not voting for either of them.. As everyone else should be doing the same.. However I find Hillary more repulsive than trump.. When it comes to capability, Hillary can't even handle emails!!!!