POTUS 2016, part 3

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.

Who would you like to see winning the presidency of the U.S.?

Hillary Clinton - (Dem.)
47%
Donald Trump - Mike Pence (Rep.)
26%
Gary Johnson - Bill Weld (Libertarian)
10%
Jill Stein (Green)
17%

Total votes: 81

pulga

Re: POTUS 2016, part 3

Post by pulga » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:15 am

The movie version of "Clinton Cash" comes out on Monday. Little wonder why she destroyed the 33,000 emails that the FBI requested from her.

Tex

Post by Tex » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:35 pm

Hillary, I guess.

I don't trust Hillary Clinton to tell me the truth or to admit when she's made a mistake, and that's a shame. But I trust her infinitely more in discussions with allies like Merkel and not-allies like Putin than I'll ever trust Donald Trump. He's nothing more than a salesman and a self-promoter and he shows all the warning signs of becoming a megalomaniac and a fascist, if we're foolish enough enough to give him power.

And as offensive as Trump has been over the past several months, this really is him on his best behavior. It's frightening to ponder what he hasn't said.

Fortunately, I don't think he can win.

Right?
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:19 pm

Tex wrote:Fortunately, I don't think he can win.

Right?
The rest of the world certainly hopes so.

:coffee:
Kim

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:05 am

Tex wrote: And as offensive as Trump has been over the past several months, this really is him on his best behavior. It's frightening to ponder what he hasn't said.

Fortunately, I don't think he can win.

Right?
Different polls speak different numbers but Americans overwhelmingly liked his acceptance speech.

CNN polls showed - among those who were polled on Thursday night

73% believed his speech will move the country in the right direction (contrast with 60% believed his policies would move US in right direction before speech)
57% of those who were polled had very positive reaction to the speech,
(source: my personal notes)

One error that has become common is to believe he is will behave like a politician. No. He is a businessman. Businessmen shape their strategy according to the situation at hand. Businessmen are used to having to revising strategy in middle of the financial year because of unforeseen circumstances.

In primaries he had to behave in a certain way to eliminate Bush, Kasich, Rubio, Cruz. He knew fully well that not many were paying attention to what he was doing except core Republicans and core Democrats. After winning primaries he fired his campaign manager .. rather unknown move in political circles.

Now he is trying to woo the independents and is better behaved and presidential.

I do not know who will win. All I know is that if a big politician goes head to head with a big businessman the businessman will win every time (because they are used to thinking on their feet).

Let Hillary answer .. why 180,000 Hispanics with criminal records, ordered deported are still in US. That nugget from the speech has been fact checked and found true (by Vox). When 45 million Americans are on food stamps, usual fluffy feel good speech is not going to cut it at next week's convention.

This guy does not support Trump but bet $1,000 on him becoming the next President. He makes some good observations about Trump and Hillary

Last edited by No_Mind on Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know one thing: that I know nothing

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:19 am

Hillary Clinton picks Senator Tim Kaine to be her VP running mate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Kaine

Apparently he is a centrist, lots of political experience; mayor, lt. governor, governor, senator.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:28 am

The principal wrong assumption being made by those who keep themselves informed about politics is .. voters actually care who is a centrist or who will nominate a liberal judge to SCOTUS.

Ordinary voters (in any country) don't care a fig about such things. If voters were intelligent and rational then George W. Bush cannot have been reelected in Nov 2004 by which time it had been proved beyond any doubt that there was no WMD in Iraq and that the war was a colossal blunder.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:06 am

Okay - Hillary has just got my (imaginary) vote for sure:
This month, the full Democratic Platform Committee approved the strongest statement about the urgent need for climate action ever issued by a major party in this country. ...
We believe the United States must lead in forging a robust global solution to the climate crisis. We are committed to a national mobilization, and to leading a global effort to mobilize nations to address this threat on a scale not seen since World War II. In the first 100 days of the next administration, the President will convene a summit of the world’s best engineers, climate scientists, policy experts, activists, and indigenous communities to chart a course to solve the climate crisis.
:thumbsup:
Kim

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:39 am

The funny thing is .. the election is not about Hillary or Democratic Party anymore.

Some think Trump is a terrible racist and some think Trump is a wonderful racist. It is a race to see which side wins. No matter what .. the result will be all about Trump.

Some guy. Hats off to him.

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:45 am

The DNC was willing to give Bernie almost anything he wanted in its platform in return for his endorsement of Hillary.

But alas, ...

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:52 am

Tom Barrack talks to Charlie Rose about Trump whom he has known for the last 40 years. The interview is certainly more balanced and thoughtful that most of what the media is providing us these days.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:43 am

pulga wrote:The DNC was willing to give Bernie almost anything he wanted in its platform in return for his endorsement of Hillary.

But alas, ...
The article is from may 27th....I think things have changed since then.
chownah

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:01 am

chownah wrote: The article is from may 27th....I think things have changed since then.
In what way?

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:51 pm

pulga wrote:
chownah wrote: The article is from may 27th....I think things have changed since then.
In what way?
Sanders is no longer running and he has endorsed clinton I think (seems like I read that he did).
chownah

sattva

Post by sattva » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:05 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:Hillary Clinton picks Senator Tim Kaine to be her VP running mate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Kaine

Apparently he is a centrist, lots of political experience; mayor, lt. governor, governor, senator.
Yes, nothing like ignoring all of the Bernie Sanders fans. She thinks with this VP pick she is going to get white men to come to her side and instead she just ignored a large part of the Democratic party. I look for many progressives to go to the Libertarian or Green party or just not to vote. I think she just gave the election to Trump with her choice of running mate. :tantrum: Needless to say, I am not happy.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:16 am

Greetings,
sattva wrote:She thinks with this VP pick she is going to get white men to come to her side...
If that's the case, it's a sad state of affairs when we pick our politicians based on criteria such as their genitalia or the pigment of their skin.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)