UK leaves EU

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
sattva

Re: UK leaves EU

Post by sattva » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:25 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
No_Mind wrote:What do the British members of DW think of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson a.k.a BoJo as PM ?
I don't trust him, and I think he too self-serving.
This is part how I feel about Trump.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:48 pm

sattva wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
No_Mind wrote:What do the British members of DW think of Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson a.k.a BoJo as PM ?
I don't trust him, and I think he too self-serving.
This is part how I feel about Trump.
There are some worrying similarities. I have heard Boris referred to as "Euro-Trump". ;)

Buddha save me from new-agers!

Coyote

Post by Coyote » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:56 pm

Utterly devastated by the result. I wonder what the impact on Wales will be? I hope not too bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -ebbw-vale
Caodemarte wrote: For an outsider, it Is very strange that the UK would give up its vote on rules that it now must follow anyway, without a vote, for exports to its European markets. I assume this is one reason why so many people are now saying that they would like to withdraw their vote to leave the EU. Sadly, it turns out this was not a prank and decisions actually matter. No do overs. A good Buddhist lesson on Kama there!
Exactly. Depending on negotiations we could end up with all of the benefits/problems (EU law, freedom of movement) with none of the say. It will be interesting watching things play out.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:16 am

Coyote wrote:Utterly devastated by the result. I wonder what the impact on Wales will be? I hope not too bad.
Wales is really going to suffer in a couple of years when the EU money dries up, I can't see Westminster making up the difference.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:38 am

chownah wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
chownah wrote:I disagree. I think it is a condescending view much more than a patronising one :jumping: ....but I do understand where Meggo is coming from on this. I just think that to tie education level with the right to vote is a really really big mistake.
But where would you draw the line? It wasn't that long ago that women didn't have the vote, it was assumed they didn't have the intellect to understand politics. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm sorry but I don't see how you are responding to what I posted. I really think that you have misunderstood my intended meaning. I am not drawing a line.....I think the right to vote should NOT be subject to having obtained a certain education level....am I missing something?
chownah
Am I missing something?
chownah

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:08 am

chownah wrote:Am I missing something?
Don't worry, it was a general question.

Meanwhile everyone here is scratching their heads, nothing has really changed and nobody seems to know what will happen next....well nothing has changed apart from billions wiped off the stock exchange, the pound devalued, political meltdown...ho hum. :toilet:

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:06 pm

Coyote wrote: "Depending on negotiations we could end up with all of the benefits/problems (EU law, freedom of movement) with none of the say. It will be interesting watching things play out."

Yes, it will be fascinating. If you have no say, you will be unlikely to get many benefits while you are certain to have additional problems.

Let us see what happens in Scotland. Their PM seems the only politician able to move forward with a definite plan because she knows what she wants (independence). Even the victors in England seem to have no idea of what to do now (never having thought that people would actually vote for them). It is wild.

The Russians are cheering this suicide or own goal at best for obvious political reasons, but I wish the UK would just stop destroying my retirement fund for obvious economic reasons. Oh well, a lesson in transience.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
chownah wrote:Am I missing something?
Don't worry, it was a general question.

Meanwhile everyone here is scratching their heads, nothing has really changed and nobody seems to know what will happen next....well nothing has changed apart from billions wiped off the stock exchange, the pound devalued, political meltdown...ho hum. :toilet:
Ok, good. That's a relief. What you posted really has nothing to do with what I posted and is actually not a reply to what I posted so I don't need to worry about it....is that right?
chownah

pegembara

Post by pegembara » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:44 am

Mr Man wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
Meggo wrote:Voting rights should be connected to some basic level of education or IQ. Otherwise it is like giving children the right to vote. They will just destroy their country and themselves.
That's a rather patronising view. People vote in general elections on a regular basis, the difference here is that the politicians have to take notice of the public decision, instead of ignoring public feeling and pursuing their own agendas as they usually do.
I don't think a referendum was the best way for such a momentous decision to be made. If decisions are being made through a referendum I think the politicians need to do much more to keep the campaign fact based and present a sound and clear case; I don't think this was done. Attitudes and actions that the referendum drew out are in my opinion are regressive. It seems that neither side had a clear plan for what would happen if "leave" won.
Absolutely. I think to change the status quo on such an issue that has far reaching consequences would need at least a two thirds majority. You can't just change people's lives for half the population for a long time on such a small difference. This is not a general election.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

chownah

Post by chownah » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:13 am

I agree that making this big change based on such a small difference should lead us to at least consider if this is the best way forward. My question is how did the UK get into the EU? Was it by a vote? And if it was by a vote how close was that vote?
chownah

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:06 am

chownah wrote:I agree that making this big change based on such a small difference should lead us to at least consider if this is the best way forward. My question is how did the UK get into the EU? Was it by a vote? And if it was by a vote how close was that vote?
chownah
The EEC and the Single European Act: http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-h ... opean-act/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:32 am

Lots of propaganda put about just hours after the referendum result, apparently 75% of young people would have stayed in the EU, my thought at that moment was, How do they know what age or which way the young voted? there does not exist a tick for your age box on the voting form neither the name of the voter, the media jumped on this, why did the media jump on this lie? Be careful what you read and see in the media.

Something must have happened the elite did not like! :namaste:
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:12 am

Thinker,

There are at least two ways. One is checking the percentage of remain votes on the whole UK map and checking the percentage of young in the same map of UK. The other is something they do here in Portugal, but I'm not sure they do in Britain, which are polls at the urns. These polls usualy give an accurate estimate of the result and they can collect more data to estimate the age of voters, education levels, etc.
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:18 am

Modus.Ponens wrote:Thinker,

There are at least two ways. One is checking the percentage of remain votes on the whole UK map and checking the percentage of young in the same map of UK. The other is something they do here in Portugal, but I'm not sure they do in Britain, which are polls at the urns. These polls usualy give an accurate estimate of the result and they can collect more data to estimate the age of voters, education levels, etc.

Utter nonsense, within 4 hours of the result, and I repeat they cannot know the voters age or how they voted it is pure propaganda and a lie.

Polls or guesses are the probable methods, but they are not the truth and have been well and truly shown to be of no consequence.

Stats lies etc
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:31 am

What is Austerity? would it be taxing the poor to protect the wealth of the few? what is a bureaucracy but a mechanism and extension for the secret act of doing the same behind closed doors!

The poor are feeling the pinch worldwide, it is time, that those with much wealth endured some minor pain. yes obviously , it does affect the poor as the rich extract more from the poor to protect their own interests (money). We got nothing to lose! :thumbsup: