Most want Supreme Patriarch appointment deferred

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 am

The Bangkok Post, Feb 28, 2016

Bangkok, Thailand -- Most people believe the prime minister should defer a proposal for His Majesty the King to appoint the new Supreme Patriarch until conflicts in monastic circles are resolved, according to an opinion survey by the National Institute of Development Administration or Nida Poll.
http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.php ... tVC43V94W0
:anjali:
Mike

suriyopama

Re: Most want Supreme Patriarch appointment deferred

Post by suriyopama » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:22 am

There is more on this story than the fact that the appointed Supreme Patriarch owns a personal collection of luxury cars, one of them coming from a tax evasion fraud.

Somdet Chuang, the appointed Supreme Patriarch, has disobeyed an order from the former Supreme Patriarch, the venerable Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara, to disrobe Phra Dhamachayo, the abbot of the controverted Wat Dhammakaya. for corruption practices, distorting the buddhist teachings and violating the Vinaya (Somdet Chuang was the preceptor of Phra Dhamachayo and is closely linked to the Dhammakaya). Furthermore, both Somdet Chuang and Wat Dhammakaya have the strong support from the Shinawatra family and their red-shirt movement. That support is voiced through Phra Metheethammacharn, secretary-general of the Buddhism Protection Centre of Thailand, the monk that has organized the protests at Puthamonton. His speech is not simply directed on promoting Somdet Chuang but as a tool to lambaste his opponents.

Struggle for Power in the Temple
http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... the-temple

Picture: Somdet Chuang presiding a Dhammakaya Vessel at Wat Pak Nam

suriyopama

Post by suriyopama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:11 am

Pope Francis: "The Church doesn't need 'dirty money"

It would be very nice to see that commitment on the leaders of the Thai Sangha.

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/ ... ney-20077/

Sylvester

Post by Sylvester » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:43 am

Ho ho ho. With all those yellownecks (kāsāvakaṇṭhā) posing as Phra Sivali, what chance is there of that?

PS - for those not in the know, in Folk Thai Buddhism, Phra Sivali (Ven Sīvali, a disciple of the Buddha) is your go-to guy to pray for wealth, wealth, wealth!

suriyopama

Post by suriyopama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:47 pm

The following pictures show how far some monks are willing to push supporting the nomination of Somdet Chuang as the Supreme Patriarch. It looks like a matter of live and death (or, I would say, grasp for power vs living frugally)

This happened on the day of Maha Bucha at Puthamonton, where the monks gathered to protest against the delay in the nomination of Somdet Chuang.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ndorsement
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ing-prawit

http://mizzima.com/latest-news-news-reg ... -gets-ugly

http://newsdaily.com/2016/02/buddhist-m ... p-protest/

suriyopama

Post by suriyopama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:50 pm

Covers of Thai magazines
(comments at the bottom are from http://2bangkok.com/)

From Matichon Weekly, February 19-25, 2016
Main cover reads: 2559 [red] Makha Bucha
On a talipot fan held by a novice at bottom right: Soldiers need to protect the ‘monks’ naja.
[This cover ridicules the clash between thousands of monks and soldiers and Makha Bucha day. It is traditonal that monks gather on this day to listen to sermons on the Buddha. The cover pokes fun that this to point out that monks this year also gathered together, not to listen the Buddha’s teaching, but to show support for Somdej Chuang for being a new Supreme Patriarch. This action is thought to politically influenced by Thaksin as it strengthens the position of factions of Buddhists that support him.]

op right: Q and A Poo: Venerable monk from Wat Banglam ‘is the rice gone’
[The photo shows former PM Yingluck (nicknamed “Poo”) visiting Wat Banglam and the an wat’s abbot.
This refers to former PM Yingluck who paid her respects to the famous temple in Samut Songkhram provice. During her visit, an abbot asked her about the rice under the rice-pledging scheme and she confirmed to him that the rice has gone anywhere. Yingluck is facing charges for the Pheu Thai’s rice-pledging scheme.]

From Manager Weekly, February 20-26, 2016
Main cover reads: Why do we have monks?

[This shows the activities of celebrity and politically connected monks who behave in illegal or disrespectful ways.
The monk at the top is Phra Methee Dhammacharn, secretary-general of the Buddhism Protection Centre of Thailand who conducted the seminar to show a support of Somdej Chuang leading to the clash between monks and soldiers.
Kungfu Panda at right is used to mimic the look and pugnaciousness of Phra Methee Dhammacharn.
The monk in the middle right is Phra Dhammachayo, abbot of Dhammakaya temple who is now facing a charges filed by the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) for embezzling funds.]

The logo at the middle left is from the Department of Special Investigation, Ministry of Justice
Under the logo: Honor, Expertise, Honesty

[At the bottom left is a photo of a monk holding a soldier in a headlock. This was during a surprise clash when monks overran a military position to demand the appointment of Somdej Chuang as Supreme Patriarch. Such surprise mass actions to overwhelm a security position brought to mind the actions of Red Shirts in the past.
All of this is connected to the battle to make sure Thaksin allies are in control of the Thai Buddhist hierarchy–especially ones connected to the controversial Dhammakaya temple.
At bottom right is the vintage Mercedes Benz owned by Somdej Chuang. It has been declared an illegal vehicle after records apparently showed it was imported under false pretenses.]

Bottom left: Behind the crisis of [yellow] ‘Nokair’ [white] which [yellow] Patee [white] knows it.

[A man in the picture is CEO of Nok Air Patee Sarasin. Refers to pilots strike due to a critical shortage of pilots and overwork. This crisis has caused the cancellation of many Nok Air flights. Until now, the internal problem in the airline has not been known and until some pilots started to resign.]

Bottom right: Abolished an inquiry [yellow] ‘Jan’ died without making any change [red] ‘Chakthip’ [white] is scared of having bloodthirsty staff

[The man in the picture is Police Chief Pol. Gen. Chakthip Chaijinda.
Refers to Pol Lt Col Jan Chaisawasdi who committed suicide after sending a petition to PM Prayuth for a review of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) order to abolish the inquiry officer role in the force. Pol. Lt. Col. Jan was the secretary-general of the Confederation of Police Inquiry Officers.
The junta’s stealth efforts to reorganize and neuter the Thaksin-supporting police corps have created extreme unease among the rank and file as pro-Thaksin brass attempt to discipline junta-leaning officers. Several recent high-profile charges (including lese majeste cases) against police officers were thought to be retaliation for not toeing the Thaksin line.
Likewise, officers who protested the junta’s reorganization efforts have apparently been the victim of retaliation, or in Jan’s case, “suicide.” However, the police quickly contended that the suicide was not related to Jan’s protest of the NCPO order.]
Last edited by suriyopama on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

suriyopama

Post by suriyopama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:58 pm

From Lokwannee, February 20-26, 2016
Main cover reads: A-mit-ta-put

[Refers to the decline of faith in monks in Thailand since there many inappropriate cases which the monks violated Buddhist codes. Some people become monks because they want to get advantages for themselves rather than to seek a peaceful mind following the Buddha’s lessons.
The word ‘Amittaput’ is used in Buddhism in Eastern Asia, particularly China for the name of famous Buddhist adherent. Studies showed that the person was legendary and not a historical person.]

From Manager Weekly, February 13-19, 2016
Main cover reads: My disciple [white] no one can touch him, naja.

[The monks in the picture are Somdet Phra Maha Ratchamangalacharn or Somdet Chuang and the abbot of Dhamakaya temple, Dhamachayo.
Somdet Chuang, chairman of the Sangha Supreme Court and nominee for supreme patriarch, has allegedly tried to protect Dhamachayo from being defrocked since they have a close relationship.
Dhamachayo always says “naja” at the end of his sentences so this is referenced in the headline. “Naja” and “naka” is a word for females to use at the end of a sentence to make it polite.
Thais often mock feminine or androgynous affectations and here the headline has Somdet Chuang using Dhamachayo’s trademark feminine speech.]
Last edited by suriyopama on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:18 pm

suriyopama, are these post's really necessary?

suriyopama

Post by suriyopama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:22 pm

This one is hilarious, if you’ve been following the latest news in Thailand.

Left: Somdet Chuang (note his personal collection of luxury cars behind him)
Right: Sorrayuth. Sorrayuth is the main anchorman of TV Channel 3. Although he has been sentenced by the Criminal Court to 13 years on jail accused of bribery, he is still broadcasing his program, despite the heavy criticism that he is receiving.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 80500.html
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 80572.html

Sorrayuth is saying to Somdet Chuang:

“Mister… I was pushed by the society to resign but I cannot bear with it… I have heard that you have a superstitious thing that can make the face harder and help to endure the condemnation. Can you give me some?”

Last edited by suriyopama on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

suriyopama

Post by suriyopama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:23 pm

Mr Man wrote:suriyopama, are these post's really necessary?
Mr. Man, I believe that they are on the right topic. Should we hide the truth under the carpet? People has the right to know what is happening with the nomination of the highest authority of Buddhism in Thailand.

Here in Thailand this is the talk of the town.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:30 pm

suriyopama wrote:
Mr. Man, I believe that they are on the right topic. Should we hide this under the carpet? People has the right to know what is happening.
Well if you presented the information in a thoughtful way or with simple useful links (not multiple broken image links).

To me it looks like your spamming the topic with multiple posts and garish pictures and not really adding much to the topic (or if you are it is hidden). Much has very little context. You have already taken over one thread.

Perhaps others find your posts useful and informative.

suriyopama

Post by suriyopama » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:05 pm

I apologize for giving the impression of having taking over the thread. I would be very pleased if someone else contributes with further information or different points of view.

I will provide the latest news update without pictures or links, to avoid hurting sensitivities.

The situation today is like this:

Somdet Chuang has hired one of the most powerful lawyers of Thailand to appeal his case at the DSI. With that lawyer, it is quite possible that he may be cleared from the charges. But the people is still asking questions like this:

Is it appropriate that a monk owns a personal collection of luxury cars?
Is it right that a monk that has repeatedly distorted the Dhamma becomes the Supreme Patriarch?
Is the dismissal of the instructions to disrobe Dhammachayo for violating the Vinaya a disrespect to the former Sankhara and to the sangha?

suriyopama

Post by suriyopama » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:25 am

The office of the Ombudsman has ruled that the Sangha Supreme Council (SSC) does not have the mandate to nominate Somdej Chuang as the country's top monk. "The nomination process must be initiated by the prime minister as per the Sangha Act. It's just that the nomination has to be approved by the SSC" former senator Paiboon Nititawan said yesterday

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 80721.html

samseva

Post by samseva » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:25 am

Mr Man wrote:
suriyopama wrote:
Mr. Man, I believe that they are on the right topic. Should we hide this under the carpet? People has the right to know what is happening.
Well if you presented the information in a thoughtful way or with simple useful links (not multiple broken image links).

To me it looks like your spamming the topic with multiple posts and garish pictures and not really adding much to the topic (or if you are it is hidden). Much has very little context. You have already taken over one thread.

Perhaps others find your posts useful and informative.
Mr Man, I find suriyopama's posts very intersting regarding current affairs in Thailand. The images and news he shares are not doctorate dissertations, they are the news that are published and read in Thailand, which I think suriyopama is being very kind with his time to post them here—and even translate them—for us to see what is really happening in Thailand, which we would otherwise not know that much (due to language barrier, news websites, etc).

If you would have created the thread, your post would have weight, but otherwise, I don't understand you naming suriopama's posts as "spamming", resulting in him not posting much anymore and removing his usual posts for everyone else. If you don't like his posts, simply not opening the thread is an alternative that is much better than resulting in removing everyone the possibility to read suriyopama's posts.

samseva

Post by samseva » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:30 am

suriyopama wrote:I apologize for giving the impression of having taking over the thread. I would be very pleased if someone else contributes with further information or different points of view.

I will provide the latest news update without pictures or links, to avoid hurting sensitivities.
Suriyopama, please keep posting news with pictures and URLs to your liking. I very much enjoy your posts. Please ignore Mr Man's post, which is but one opinion, which frankly doesn't make much sense and which seems to have now deprived everyone else of your posts.