Inspiring University President stands up against intellectual infantilization

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Inspiring University President stands up against intellectual infantilization

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:25 pm

Greetings,

I just wanted to share the following inspiring open letter, quoted in the article: University president has had enough of self-absorbed students in need of safe spaces

( Open Letter )
This is Not a Day Care. It’s a University!
Dr. Everett Piper, President

Oklahoma Wesleyan University

This past week, I actually had a student come forward after a university chapel service and complain because he felt “victimized” by a sermon on the topic of 1 Corinthians 13. It appears that this young scholar felt offended because a homily on love made him feel bad for not showing love. In his mind, the speaker was wrong for making him, and his peers, feel uncomfortable.

I’m not making this up. Our culture has actually taught our kids to be this self-absorbed and narcissistic. Any time their feelings are hurt, they are the victims. Anyone who dares challenge them and, thus, makes them “feel bad” about themselves, is a “hater,” a “bigot,” an “oppressor,” and a “victimizer.”

I have a message for this young man and all others who care to listen. That feeling of discomfort you have after listening to a sermon is called a conscience. An altar call is supposed to make you feel bad. It is supposed to make you feel guilty. The goal of many a good sermon is to get you to confess your sins—not coddle you in your selfishness. The primary objective of the Church and the Christian faith is your confession, not your self-actualization.

So here’s my advice:

If you want the chaplain to tell you you’re a victim rather than tell you that you need virtue, this may not be the university you’re looking for. If you want to complain about a sermon that makes you feel less than loving for not showing love, this might be the wrong place.

If you’re more interested in playing the “hater” card than you are in confessing your own hate; if you want to arrogantly lecture, rather than humbly learn; if you don’t want to feel guilt in your soul when you are guilty of sin; if you want to be enabled rather than confronted, there are many universities across the land (in Missouri and elsewhere) that will give you exactly what you want, but Oklahoma Wesleyan isn’t one of them.

At OKWU, we teach you to be selfless rather than self-centered. We are more interested in you practicing personal forgiveness than political revenge. We want you to model interpersonal reconciliation rather than foment personal conflict. We believe the content of your character is more important than the color of your skin. We don’t believe that you have been victimized every time you feel guilty and we don’t issue “trigger warnings” before altar calls.

Oklahoma Wesleyan is not a “safe place”, but rather, a place to learn: to learn that life isn’t about you, but about others; that the bad feeling you have while listening to a sermon is called guilt; that the way to address it is to repent of everything that’s wrong with you rather than blame others for everything that’s wrong with them. This is a place where you will quickly learn that you need to grow up.

This is not a day care. This is a university!
Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

SarathW

Re: Inspiring University President stands up against intellectual infantilization

Post by SarathW » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Not relating the OP but while I was looking for the meaning of "homily" I found some interesting saying.
===============
'Receiving is a form of giving,' she said, in one of those sudden banal homilies that came to her every now and again" (Willie Morris

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/homily" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

acinteyyo

Re: Inspiring University President stands up against intellectual infantilization

Post by acinteyyo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:04 pm

:thanks: for sharing, Paul!
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

SDC

Post by SDC » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:24 pm

One of the rewarding parts of pursuing the path is developing the ability to handle whatever arises. And even though it is not easy, that I am able to learn how to accept that responsibility instead of asking the world adapt around me is both humbling and liberating. Unfortunately, such an approach is not very acceptable in a world hellbent on sterilizing itself.

Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:33 pm

but they want to make a home there not treat it like a school.

well done sir.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:53 am

Paul you seem very keen to bring your political stance to Dhamma Wheel. Do you not like the idea of creating safe spaces?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:59 am

Greetings Mr Man,

I didn't realise that expecting people to be accountable for their own emotional discomfiture, rather than lashing out at others for it constitutes "politics" nowadays, but OK. I would call it "spiritual maturity" or "spiritual accountability" myself. What was the Buddha's stance on such matters?

Since you ask specifically of "safe spaces" (even though it's probably more relevant to Cittasanto's topic), my view is summarised nicely by the following extract from the New York Times...
A junior named Adam Shapiro decided he didn’t want his room to be a safer space. He printed up his own flier calling it a dangerous space and had that, too, published in the Columbia Daily Spectator. “Kindness alone won’t allow us to gain more insight into truth,” he wrote. In an interview, Mr. Shapiro said, “If the point of a safe space is therapy for people who feel victimized by traumatization, that sounds like a great mission.” But a safe-space mentality has begun infiltrating classrooms, he said, making both professors and students loath to say anything that might hurt someone’s feelings. “I don’t see how you can have a therapeutic space that’s also an intellectual space,” he said.
The only dangerous idea is that ideas are dangerous. Feelings are not facts.

Metta,
Last edited by retrofuturist on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

Dhammanando
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:17 am

“Safe spaces,” the Equal Treatment Directive—they reflect more than the simple coddling of an overprivileged generation. It’s a metaphysical meltdown as we try desperately to hold on to words like “human dignity,” all the while undermining the ideas they represent. But words unhinged from reality are very far from safe; in fact, they can be the most dangerous things in the world. It’s imperative for the preservation of free human society that people learn to live with robust, sustained disagreement instead of retreating into the cocoon of themselves, because if history has shown us anything, it’s that the “safe space” of oneself can prove a very dark place indeed.
How “Safe Spaces” Kill Human Dignity

Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:47 am

This is the first time I've come across this idea of safe spaces.

What actually happens in them and what form do they take?

Are they lounge areas where people drink tea and discuss matters, or group therapy areas, or lecture theatres to learn about tolerance?

Google searches illustrate the idea but not the practicalities.

My safe space is my breath :anjali:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:57 am

Greetings Alexander,

This article gives you an idea on how they work in practice.

Metta,

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:17 am

Are the precepts a safe space?

How about "Dharma Paths Practice Community"?

Woman only carriages on trains?

Dhammanando
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:29 am

Alexander____ wrote:What actually happens in them and what form do they take?
One example:
The notion of the “safe space” first emerged to describe a place of refuge for people exposed to racial prejudice or sexism. But the phrase has changed meaning to the point where now it often implies protection from “exposure to ideas that make one uncomfortable”, according to Nadine Strossen, a prominent law professor and former head of the American Civil Liberties Union.

At Brown University – like Harvard, one of the eight elite Ivy League universities – the New York Times reported students set up a “safe space” that offered calming music, cookies, Play-Doh and a video of frolicking puppies to help students cope with a discussion on how colleges should handle sexual assault.
How political correctness rules in America’s student 'safe spaces’

Safe spaces are solipsism bubble zones where people can go if they fear someone might mention reality. In safe spaces, people can bloviate on about their ideological ideas without being contradicted by someone who has noticed flaws in their narrative, i.e. reality peeking through the carefully-constructed artifice. Safe spaces are designed to blot our reality and replace it with a giant neurotic and morally flatulent human mind. They are the triumph of narcissism, fear and intolerance (of reality!) over common sense, logic and survival. They are suicide cults.
Safe Spaces Must Be Destroyed

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:33 am

Alexander____ wrote:This is the first time I've come across this idea of safe spaces.

What actually happens in them and what form do they take?

Are they lounge areas where people drink tea and discuss matters, or group therapy areas, or lecture theatres to learn about tolerance?

Google searches illustrate the idea but not the practicalities.

My safe space is my breath :anjali:
Believe it or not, in one example, they had a TV on with frollicking puppies and ate candy to feel better. LOL.

EDIT: This portion of the text was removed by me, Modus.Ponens, for the sake of harmonious discussion.
Paul Davy wrote:Greetings,

I just wanted to share the following inspiring open letter, quoted in the article: University president has had enough of self-absorbed students in need of safe spaces

( Open Letter )

(Article removed by me, Modus.Ponens, for brevity)

Metta,
Great article. It's about time! And it's shocking that it is clearly coming from a "secularised" christian perspective, instead of a left wing one.

Douglas Murray was interviewed recently by Sam Harris and his comments on political correctness are spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J70pBCj8krA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be well. :)
Last edited by Modus.Ponens on Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 am

Modus.Ponens wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Paul you seem very keen to bring your political stance to Dhamma Wheel. Do you not like the idea of creating safe spaces?
The irony is that you seem even keener on policing what everyone thinks about these things.

I don't mind the "action police" very much. It may be good many times. The "verbal police" I do mind a lot of times, although ocasionally they have a point. But the "thought police" is by far the most dangerous for a free society where harmonious coexistence is the goal.

What has this comment got to do with the OP or what I posted? Seems like nothing more than yet another personal attack.

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:29 pm

Closed for review.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:52 am

Admin note:

Please abide by the TOS taking particular care not to engage in personal attacks nor meta-discussion.

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:32 am

Greetings,

A brief TV Interview with Dr. Everett Piper...

A more in-depth radio/podcast Interview with Dr. Everett Piper... Soundcloud - Skip to 3.37 to get straight to the interview

Metta,

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:13 am

Paul Davy wrote:Greetings Mr Man,

I didn't realise that expecting people to be accountable for their own emotional discomfiture, rather than lashing out at others for it constitutes "politics" nowadays, but OK. I would call it "spiritual maturity" or "spiritual accountability" myself. What was the Buddha's stance on such matters?

Since you ask specifically of "safe spaces" (even though it's probably more relevant to Cittasanto's topic), my view is summarised nicely by the following extract from the New York Times...
A junior named Adam Shapiro decided he didn’t want his room to be a safer space. He printed up his own flier calling it a dangerous space and had that, too, published in the Columbia Daily Spectator. “Kindness alone won’t allow us to gain more insight into truth,” he wrote. In an interview, Mr. Shapiro said, “If the point of a safe space is therapy for people who feel victimized by traumatization, that sounds like a great mission.” But a safe-space mentality has begun infiltrating classrooms, he said, making both professors and students loath to say anything that might hurt someone’s feelings. “I don’t see how you can have a therapeutic space that’s also an intellectual space,” he said.
The only dangerous idea is that ideas are dangerous. Feelings are not facts.

Metta,
Paul, Piper's letter is clearly political. It is also clear where he stands on the political spectrum.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:23 am

Paul I also wondered about these two points from your post - "I didn't realise that expecting people to be accountable for their own emotional discomfiture" and "Feelings are not facts." Would you perhaps be interested on elaborating in a new thread?

Zom

Post by Zom » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:28 am

there's a bit on the topic... :D