POTUS 2016

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.

Who would you like to see win POTUS 2016?

Hillary Clinton
11%
Bernie Sanders
64%
Joe Biden
3%
Donald Trump
14%
Dr. Ben Carson
2%
Jeb Bush
No votes
Scott Walker
No votes
Carly Fiorina
2%
Ted Cruz
3%
Marco Rubio
2%

Total votes: 64

SDC

Re: POTUS 2016

Post by SDC » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:57 pm

chownah wrote:...
Sorry I made your babe-in-the-woods routine difficult, chownah. Next time I'll be make it easier for you to make an example out of me.

samseva

Post by samseva » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:05 pm

chownah wrote:I think that if someone knows 50 youth and sees them every day and finds that a majority of them associate sanders with "fight the power" then that is significant of something but not significant enough to say without qualifying that "Young people in general seem to prefer Sanders - they deeply mistake his anti-establishment rhetoric for something more along the lines of anti-big brother."

The danger is to think that ones limited experience can be extrapolated to an entire population....which is what happened. I certainly don't think that SDC is malicious!!! He was just campaigning against sanders using unsubstantiated assumptions based on his limited personal experiences. If he had said, "I don't know what all kids think but a large percentage of the kids around here seem to blah blah blah...." then I would not have commented at all and I would have thought that SDC was really being careful of guarding the truth (guarding the truth is a theme taught by the buddha...it might be good for some people to read up on this)....and hooray for that. But it makes a much better political ploy to say how all young supporters lend their support because they are "deeply mistake"....which is what he did.

I am not trying to bash SDC or to dump on him. This entire process took so long because of his hesitency to just say how many kids he observed to come to his concluions....look at the postings....it was like pulling teeth with him complaining and directing sarcasm towards me all the way. Never mind that...I'm used to it...I'm only wanting to point out why this seems like it has been a big ordeal.

So, now.....SDC's experience is not adequate to conslusively make that statement I've mentioned...but never the less it may be true. It may be that "Young people in general seem to prefer Sanders - they deeply mistake his anti-establishment rhetoric for something more along the lines of anti-big brother.". SDC seemed to indicate that his "anti-big brother" comment came from a "fight the power" attitude. If one really wants to find out if SDC's asertion is true or the extent to which it is true then it seems that the next thing to do is to google "fight the power bernie sanders" and learn something about this "fight the power" attitude as it applies to sanders.

chownah
Or maybe just assume that almost no one has first-hand interactions with a large number of young people (other than sociologists and scientists, but even then)?

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:05 am

SDC wrote:
chownah wrote:...
Sorry I made your babe-in-the-woods routine difficult, chownah. Next time I'll be make it easier for you to make an example out of me.
Thank you for the kind words. The buddha taught to not indulge in the delusinal sense of self. If you look carefully you will see that I was making an example of what you posted, namely "Young people in general seem to prefer Sanders - they deeply mistake his anti-establishment rhetoric for something more along the lines of anti-big brother." This is what I was discussing...not you....not your self.

"Almost all of the kid around here eat heavily sweetened processed breakfast cereal."
vs.
"In general kids eat heavily sweetenedd processed breakfast cereal."

This illustrates what I am discussing.

Believe me, I have made statements which easily match and exceed the dubiousness of this sentence you offered.

The buddha's teachings on guarding the truth I think apply to this discussion. I hope that people take time and read up on it if they are not already familiar with it.

Are people wanting to find out if SDC's assertions are true or make sense? Why not google "fight the power bernie sanders". This is the phrase the SDC has associated with those young people's infatuation with sanders. To understand what he posted I think one needs to clearly understand what this means or is supposed to mean. As with all political propaganda this stuff should be taken sceptically. I am not a sanders supporter although I do think that of all the candidates he does have the most interesting ideas. He's probably unelectable and even if he was elected he would not be able to enact his agenda because congress would not allow it....this is a sad thing for his supporters and a relief for his detractors.
chownah
chownah

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:20 am

samseva wrote: Or maybe just assume that almost no one has first-hand interactions with a large number of young people (other than sociologists and scientists, but even then)?
It sounds like you are suggesting that I assume straight away that SDC was off the page of credibility....I prefer to not assume...how should I know where his statement came from. Mayby he has done alot of online research and found a policy paper where some political analyst did some research on political attitudes of young people. I looked at this as an opportunity to learn something and maybe find a great internet link for political analysis. You will notice that early on I asked "How did you find out what young people in general who support sanders think?" Maybe he has a good source of information.

Also, people keep replying to me discussing various aspects of the discussion. This is fine and I don't mind replying to those comments. I would, however like to point the discussion to the degree of truth of the statement "The youth...........brother." You may noticed that I fairly consistently keep pointing in that direction.
chownah
Last edited by DNS on Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic locked, see POTUS 2016, part 2 for the continuing discussion.