Global Warming: Recent Data

If you wish to raise new topics on News, Current Events & Politics, please do so at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
Mkoll

Re: Global Warming: Recent Data

Post by Mkoll » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:36 am

Mkoll wrote:Lockheed says makes breakthrough on fusion energy project

If this is legit, that is really something.
A bit more info about their technology:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/l ... new-ground
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:24 am

Mkoll wrote:
Mkoll wrote:Lockheed says makes breakthrough on fusion energy project

If this is legit, that is really something.
A bit more info about their technology:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/l ... new-ground
Nice to have the information but it apparently hasn't convinced their peers (and competitors, I know, so their responses need to be treated with some caution): http://www.businessinsider.com.au/scien ... on-2014-10

Wait and see, I guess, but let's push ahead with proven technologies while we wait.

:namaste:
Kim

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks for the article, Kim. I had seen earlier stories, but this one is very promising, especially as to the footprint of the reactor. Since plasma is the most common form of visible matter in the universe, an interstellar vehicle should have no problem locating raw materials. Just migrate towards your nearest NOVA and take on a load. ; ) :alien:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:42 pm

if you read the small print you'll see that Lockheed has not yet produced one iota of nuclear fusion energy, all theory so far, at least the CERN project in France has some actual successes being scaled up to a much larger size to go by.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:24 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:if you read the small print you'll see that Lockheed has not yet produced one iota of nuclear fusion energy, all theory so far, at least the CERN project in France has some actual successes being scaled up to a much larger size to go by.
Hi, Lyndon,
CERN is a research particle accelerator - http://home.web.cern.ch/topics/large-hadron-collider
I think you may mean ITER - http://www.iter.org. It is bigger, yes, but success? Still ten years away: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITER#Timel ... ent_status.

:coffee:
Kim

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:55 am

New study shows three abrupt pulses of CO2 during last deglaciation
http://www.washington.edu/news/2014/10/ ... laciation/
chownah

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 am

Hi, Chownah. Thanks for the article.

Here are my very best guesses (hypothetical scenarios) to possibly explain the three CO2 pulses discovered in the ice core record:

I am calling this story: " Coldy Rocks and the Three Airs"

Pulse 1: Volcanism releases huge quantities of CO2. This could be happening beneath the oceans as well as on the land.

Pulse 2: Heat from the volcanic activity sets massive amounts of world forests on fire, releasing massive quantities of CO2.

Pulse 3: Increased CO2 in atmosphere retains heat from solar radiation, global ice masses melt, releasing massive quantities of CO2 and CH4

Subsequently, plants grow in warmed environment due to increased heat and rain due to increased atmospheric water, CO2 levels fall due to flora sequestering, temperatures decrease, Al Gore's parents get cold and cudlle. Al Gore is born.

That's my theory and I am sticking to it. :rolleye:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:31 pm

Ron-The-Elder wrote:Hi, Chownah. Thanks for the article.

Here are my very best guesses (hypothetical scenarios) to possibly explain the three CO2 pulses discovered in the ice core record:

I am calling this story: " Coldy Rocks and the Three Airs"

Pulse 1: Volcanism releases huge quantities of CO2. This could be happening beneath the oceans as well as on the land.

Pulse 2: Heat from the volcanic activity sets massive amounts of world forests on fire, releasing massive quantities of CO2.

Pulse 3: Increased CO2 in atmosphere retains heat from solar radiation, global ice masses melt, releasing massive quantities of CO2 and CH4

Subsequently, plants grow in warmed environment due to increased heat and rain due to increased atmospheric water, CO2 levels fall due to flora sequestering, temperatures decrease, Al Gore's parents get cold and cudlle. Al Gore is born.

That's my theory and I am sticking to it. :rolleye:
All feasible, Ron :smile: but we're a bit short on proof. Maybe it will turn up - the science is still growing fast and we are finding out stuff we used to think was forever unknowable.
There's a nice example of that here - http://mashable.com/2014/10/21/scientis ... mate-data/ - although it deals with a very different time scale.

Kim

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:31 am

Here's a localised effect that is a good example of the kinds of impact that we will see more often:
Scientists: Cancel Maine Shrimp Season Again Because Of Rising Ocean Temperatures
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/1 ... -collapse/

Kim

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:49 am

If the oceans get deeper then they can build bigger ships without scraping bottom I guess.
chownah

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:03 pm

What Makes an Elder? :

Zom

Post by Zom » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:13 pm

Let me tell you - no one knows anything - because it is sky dietes who rule the world climate :tongue:

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:14 am

Here's another effect we mostly didn't see coming: climate change and fossil fuel pollution (mostly the latter, to be fair) hitting food production:
India air pollution 'cutting crop yields by almost half''
Air pollution in India has become so severe that yields of crops are being cut by almost half, scientists have found.
Researchers analysed yields for wheat and rice alongside pollution data, and concluded significant decreases in yield could be attributed to two air pollutants, black carbon and ground level ozone. The finding has implications for global food security as India is a major rice exporter.
Black carbon is mostly caused by rural cookstoves, and ozone forms as a result of motor vehicle exhaust, industrial emissions, and chemical solvents reacting in the atmosphere in the presence of sunlight. Both are “short-lived climate pollutants” that exist locally in the atmosphere for weeks to months, with ozone damaging plants’ leaves and black carbon reducing the amount of sunlight they receive.
The study looked at both the effects of climate change and the two pollutants on crop yields.
“While temperature’s gone up in the last three decades, the levels of smog and pollution have changed much more dramatically,” says Jennifer Burney, an environmental scientist at University of California, San Diego, and co-author of the paper, published in the journal PNAS. “But this was the first time anyone looked at historical data to show that these pollutants are having tremendous impacts on crops.”
Comparing crop yields in 2010 to what they would be expected to be if temperature, rainfall and pollution remained at their 1980 levels, the researchers showed that crop yields for wheat were on average 36%lower than they otherwise would have been, while rice production decreased by up to 20%. In some higher population states, wheat yields were as much as 50% lower.
Using modelling to account for the effects of temperature increase and precipitation changes in that time, they were able to show that 90% of this loss is attributable to the impact of the two pollutants.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... lmost-half

:thinking:
Kim

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:35 am

:focus:

IPCC report warns greenhouse gas levels at highest point in 800,000 years, identifies fossil fuels as cause of recent increases

Bet you Aussies will like this:
Last month Prime Minister Tony Abbott said coal is "good for humanity" and will be the "world's main energy source for decades to come" as he opened a new mine in central Queensland.
Link includes IPCC's 116 page long "Synthesis Report."

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:29 am

Mkoll wrote:Bet you Aussies will like this:
Last month Prime Minister Tony Abbott said coal is "good for humanity" and will be the "world's main energy source for decades to come" as he opened a new mine in central Queensland.
You just lost your bet, James, and you owe me $1 000 000 (that was the bet, wasn't it?) :jumping:

Seriously, Abbott is a national and international embarrassment. Beyond a joke - even the cartoonists have given up on him.

Kim