Global Warming: Recent Data

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Kim OHara

Re: Global Warming: Recent Data

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:22 pm

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Yemen is on the verge of running out of water

Long a precious commodity, the impacts of climate change are making water even more scarce in Yemen, fanning the flames of violent conflict. While the United Nations warns of climate-driven wars as a danger of the future, in Yemen they are already a deadly reality. ...
To address the growing demand for water, Yemen introduced new drilling techniques to tap into the country’s fossil water reserves. Year after year, an unsustainable amount of water was taken from the country’s aquifers. Wells got deeper, water became harder to come by, and prices rose. At the same time, the impacts of climate change only exacerbated the drought. Similar to the situation in Syria, as water and food became more scarce, populations were uprooted and violence ensued.
Today, Yemen is a country on the verge of drying out.
As tension over water resources reached a fever pitch, Yemen began to fracture along sectarian and regional lines. ...
https://thinkprogress.org/yemen-humanit ... .6ka4u4f20

:namaste:
Kim

chownah

Post by chownah » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:24 am

Just a reality check here. I don't know the specifics about yemen but I do know that generally speaking everywhere in the world where pumping water from underground is an integral part of agriculture is running out of water AND even if there was no global warming they are going to run out of water. It turns out that humanity's abilitly to pump water out of the ground exceeds natures ability to fill it back up. The problem can be seen to have two major causes...increasing population which requires dry land to be irrigated for food and farming with chemicals which destroys the lands ability to absorb and hold water either from rain or from irrigation.

I hope that climate change highlights these probems which exist in the world (ever increasing human population and chemical agro-industry) because to a great degree eliminating these problems will go a long way to eliminating global warming and climate change caused by human activity.
chownah

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:01 am

chownah wrote:Just a reality check here. I don't know the specifics about yemen but I do know that generally speaking everywhere in the world where pumping water from underground is an integral part of agriculture is running out of water AND even if there was no global warming they are going to run out of water. It turns out that humanity's abilitly to pump water out of the ground exceeds natures ability to fill it back up. The problem can be seen to have two major causes...increasing population which requires dry land to be irrigated for food and farming with chemicals which destroys the lands ability to absorb and hold water either from rain or from irrigation.

I hope that climate change highlights these probems which exist in the world (ever increasing human population and chemical agro-industry) because to a great degree eliminating these problems will go a long way to eliminating global warming and climate change caused by human activity.
chownah
Yes, it's a big, complicated question.
If we want children born this year (for instance) to have a reasonable chance of a peaceful, happy old age, we need to heading towards sustainability on all fronts and as quickly as we can.
Population must stabilise and start dropping.
So must economic inequality (it drives revolutions and wars).
Recycling must become standard practice, not the exception, because (as the meme says) you con't throw stuff away because there is no "away" (Great Pacific Garbage Patch http://science.howstuffworks.com/enviro ... -patch.htm, anyone?).
And so on.

My focus has been on climate change (did you notice? :smile: ) because that was the most urgent of the major problems. Now that we have finally begun to take real action on that, there's a bit more sense in looking at the other aspects of sustainability again.

Kim

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:55 am

chownah wrote:Just a reality check here. I don't know the specifics about yemen but I do know that generally speaking everywhere in the world where pumping water from underground is an integral part of agriculture is running out of water AND even if there was no global warming they are going to run out of water. It turns out that humanity's abilitly to pump water out of the ground exceeds natures ability to fill it back up. ...
Just found this and thought you might like it:
What GRACE has taught us

Here are a few highlights of discoveries from GRACE during its 15 years of operation. These discoveries reflect the work of researchers worldwide, who have developed innovative techniques to use the data and combine it with other observations and models for new insights into the Earth system.

Underground water: Water stored in soil and aquifers below Earth's surface is very sparsely measured worldwide. In describing GRACE's contribution to understanding this life-giving resource, JPL Senior Water Scientist Jay Famiglietti said, "I can't think of another set of measurements that have so revolutionized the science."

Hydrologist Matt Rodell of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland, did his doctoral research on GRACE's hydrological uses. Rodell said no one guessed before launch that GRACE would reveal unknown groundwater depletion, but over the last decade, he, Famiglietti and other researchers have found more and more locations where humans are pumping out groundwater faster than it is replenished. In 2015, their team published a comprehensive survey showing a third of Earth's largest groundwater basins are being rapidly depleted.

Dry soils can add to drought risk or increase the length of a drought. Rodell and his team provide GRACE data on deep soil moisture and groundwater to the National Drought Mitigation Center each week, using a hydrology model to calculate how the moisture is changing throughout the month between one map and the next. The data are used in preparing weekly maps of U.S. drought risk.
- https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2563/grac ... -on-earth/

:coffee:
Kim

Phena

Post by Phena » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:07 am

Record-breaking climate change pushes world into ‘uncharted territory’
The record-breaking heat that made 2016 the hottest year ever recorded has continued into 2017, pushing the world into “truly uncharted territory”, according to the World Meteorological Organisation.

The WMO’s assessment of the climate in 2016, published on Tuesday, reports unprecedented heat across the globe, exceptionally low ice at both poles and surging sea-level rise.

Global warming is largely being driven by emissions from human activities, but a strong El Niño – a natural climate cycle – added to the heat in 2016. The El Niño is now waning, but the extremes continue to be seen, with temperature records tumbling in the US in February and polar heatwaves pushing ice cover to new lows.

“Even without a strong El Niño in 2017, we are seeing other remarkable changes across the planet that are challenging the limits of our understanding of the climate system. We are now in truly uncharted territory,” said David Carlson, director of the WMO’s world climate research programme.

“Earth is a planet in upheaval due to human-caused changes in the atmosphere,” said Jeffrey Kargel, a glaciologist at the University of Arizona in the US. “In general, drastically changing conditions do not help civilisation, which thrives on stability.”

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:29 pm

NASA Climate Change Update: :reading:

https://climate.nasa.gov/
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:53 am

Climate change is already making wildfires bigger and hotter, and yet ...
17634470_657601014449596_7846828594997107685_n.jpg
17634470_657601014449596_7846828594997107685_n.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 950 times
:jedi:
Kim

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:55 am

Not good news at all, I'm afraid.
Arctic meltdown: Sea and land ice are cracking up at a record pace
The images from the Arctic ice death spiral are haunting. The impacts will be terrifying.

“Arctic sea ice extent for March 2017 was the lowest in the satellite record for the month,” the NSIDC reported on Tuesday. “This month continues the record low conditions seen since October 2016.”
But not only has sea ice extent been setting records for months, so has sea ice thickness.Arctic sea ice is in a state of meltdown, and at some point soon will simply become too thin and fragmented to be called an “ice cap.”
Significantly, what happens in the Arctic does not stay in the Arctic. Arctic amplification drives more extreme weather in North America, while accelerating the defrosting of carbon-rich permafrost, which releases CO2 and methane that each cause faster warming — a dangerous amplifying feedback.
https://thinkprogress.org/arctic-meltdo ... 3a83c0121c

Kim

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:43 am

Here's one out of left field ...
How Trump's Inaction on Climate Change Could Lead to Impeachment

... he might be impeached for failure to take action on climate change.
Typically crimes against humanity tend to be genocide or violence against a particular group of people, like what happened in Cambodia in the 1970s. But the International Criminal Court has recently prioritized crimes against the environment, which could deal with climate change. After all, climate change could be interpreted as a kind of genocide. Catastrophic climate change threatens our survival on this planet, or certainly our well-being, and is in a sense violence against all human beings. "If we fail to act now, it is scientifically irrefutable that there will be catastrophic and irreversible consequences for humanity and our planet." That quote is from a 2009 open letter to Obama from various business leaders, signed by among others, Donald J. Trump, Donald J. Trump Jr., Eric Trump, and Ivanka Trump. The irrefutable scientific evidence has not changed since then; it has, in fact, gotten stronger. The only thing that changed for Donald Trump was his political calculations.

How does the International Criminal Court have any say in our presidency?
The United States is not part of the Rome agreement that set up the ICC, but a complaint could be made from another nation on the effects of Trump's policies, and that could lead to a criminal investigation and prosecution by the ICC, which could lead to an impeachment investigation here in the United States. There have already been successful lawsuits in other countries based upon climate change, and there's that children's civil lawsuit going on in the United States. Those can be a prelude to the more serious charge of impeachment. I understand this is pretty far-fetched, but this is serious, this is real, this is our life on this planet.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/how- ... mpeachment

:coffee:
Kim

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:32 pm

Wonderful article from Quora:
Viktor T. Toth
Viktor T. Toth, IT pro, part-time physicist
Written Apr 11 · Upvoted by Bob Evans, 35 years working with NOAA Climate monitoring agencies and Alan Clement, ex-Investment Bank VP
Let me tell you a personal journey.

I have a fair grounding in theoretical physics, as evidenced, I hope, by my publications. However, when it comes to climate science, I am still very much a novice, and I was even more a novice a few years ago. The foundations of the theory are the same, of course, but the technical details when it comes to something as complex as the Earth, with its geography, atmosphere, hydrosphere and biosphere, are daunting.

I was looking at climate science with a bit of (scientific, I hope) skepticism. Like you, I was wary of the bandwagon effect. And to be sure, some of the shenanigans like exaggerations about glaciers or misleading graphs in eye-catching, glossy propaganda publications did not sit well with me, I have to say.

So I was looking for stuff in the literature that would support my skepticism. There are, after all, scientists who refused to jump on the bandwagon. Scientists who looked at some of the claims about climate change critically, and expressed their concerns in a convincing manner.

After looking at dozens of papers that purportedly put into question the validity of the scientific consensus, I became very disappointed. Each and every one of these papers was garbage. No scientific rigor. No convincing arguments. Blatant misunderstandings.

Meanwhile, I was learning more about climate science and it became clear to me that although it is a lot messier than theoretical physics, the scientists are not any less conscientious. In fact, every one of the objections that I heard about earlier: e.g., the role of water vapor, the capacity of the oceans to absorb CO2, natural heating or cooling periods, the validity of the extended temperature record, or modeling of cloud formation, were issues known to these scientists and they were working hard to address them properly. And they were very critical of each other’s work; for something to become part of the “consensus”, convincing arguments were needed.

But then, jackpot! I ran across a paper that seemed unassailable. Written by a former NASA planetary climate scientist, it used fundamental theoretical physics arguments, notably an argument based on the virial theorem, to “prove” that excess CO2 will not do a thing to the climate.

Except that the paper had it wrong. It used the virial theorem inappropriately. It prompted me to write a paper (The virial theorem and planetary atmospheres) myself, which I published in the same obscure but respectable (English-language) Hungarian journal in which that other paper appeared; I chose not to argue with that paper though, I simply presented a derivation demonstrating how to apply the virial theorem properly in this context.

But for me, that was it. The last drop in the proverbial bucket. I concluded, based on what I learned, that the “consensus” is, in fact, correct. That the main points: Namely, that an accelerated warming exists, that it is due primarily to rapidly rising CO2 levels as a result of industrial activity, and that the warming is certain to continue in the foreseeable future, are all valid.

Now that does not mean that I agree with everything done in the name of climate change. I have a rather low opinion of “carbon tax” schemes, and when it comes to “clean coal” or “carbon sequestration”, I think they’re a disaster waiting to happen. And I am not even sure if, in balance, the warming is really that bad. Of course it’s bad if you live in a coastal community that will be flooded or a place where the temperature can already rise to near deadly levels. On the other hand, more arable land in Canada or Russia, or greater biodiversity overall might also be in our future. Or not… But I think these are legitimate things to consider. (And frankly, here in cold Ottawa, I welcome a bit of global warming especially if people living in warmer climates don’t mind or don’t care.)

But regarding the basic physics of the warming… I convinced myself because I understood the science, not because of any bandwagons. And this is the beauty of science: It is an open book. It may be hard to read at times, but if you make the effort, it’s all there. And no amount of politics or ideology can change it.

So I claim that global warming is real because I made an effort to understand the science well enough to form my own opinion, on the basis of independently validated data and rigorous mathematical derivations, yielding predictions that are in good agreement with observation.
source: https://www.quora.com/Why-do-people-cla ... r-T-Toth-1
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:38 am

If you were born after December 1964, you’ve never experienced a month when this planet was cooler than average.
(Source: http://www.climatecentral.org/news/628- ... onth-21365)

:thinking:
Kim
coolest month.jpg
coolest month.jpg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 880 times

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:16 pm

The U.S. is about to lose a trillion dollars in coastal property values

Both the Arctic and Antarctic keep smashing records for ice loss, providing more evidence we are headed for the worst-case scenario of sea level rise. At the same time, President Trump plans to block climate action while slashing funding for coastal adaptation and monitoring.
Together, this is very bad news for U.S. coastlines, and the only question left for Americans is: When will coastal property values crash?
That's when, not whether.
The rest of the article - https://thinkprogress.org/trumps-polici ... ac326ebfb6 - says, 'sooner than anyone expected'. The smart money is already getting out.

:toilet:
Kim

chownah

Post by chownah » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:40 am

bye bye mar a lago
chownah

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:55 am

chownah wrote:bye bye mar a lago
chownah
:woohoo:
:jumping:

Unfortunately it will also be bye-bye for the homes of a lot of people who haven't contributed significantly to the problem - Bangla Desh, Bangkok, and many coastal cities around the world.

Kim