Global Warming: Recent Data

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
rowboat

Re: Global Warming: Recent Data

Post by rowboat » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:46 am

Mother Jones: We Fact Checked Aaron Sorkin's Climate Science on The Newsroom
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:01 am

:thumbsup:
Well done Newsroom, indeed. Many supposedly-factual TV programmes don't get this much right.

Thanks, Rowboat,

:namaste:
Kim

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:05 am

Ron-The-Elder wrote:Hi gang.

We were hoping to celebrate Global Warming for Thanksgiving 2014 with a nice warm spell, perhaps visiting the local beaches here in New Hampshire , USA, but instead we woke to find 10 to 18 inches of very wet snow, bent over and broken trees, down power lines for two days plus, and that nice four foot high wall left by the city plows at the end of the driveway. After changing my clothes three times due to cold soaking wetness due to the wet snow, combined with sweat from shoveling the dense white stuff for nine hours, because snow-blower was constantly clogging, shaking tree limbs to try to save them, raking roofs, then laying out and connecting replacement electric lines, starting the generator for all of the essential services (refrigerator, hot water, lighting, microwave, and phone battery chargers) it struck me that it was Thanksgiving Day, a big holiday here in The US and instead I should be making a list of all those people, places, and things for which we are truly thankful. At the top of my list was all of you at Dhamma Wheel, who patiently read my inane rants, and set me straight on the difference between delusion and dhamma, such as that which differs between weather variations and climate change.

Our fresh turkey purchased for the holiday just a few days ago (apologies to vegans) is sitting (uncooked) and now frozen on top of our air conditioner compressor in the back yard in the sub-zero weather, because it was too big to fit into the microwave oven :tongue: Instead, we had leftovers (all veggies) and thus remained free of tryptophan induced comas.

I realize we are bringing this news a day late, but our internet provider's systems were down a day longer than ours and just came back early this morning (Post Thanksgiving). :hug:
Thanks for the kind words, Ron, and I'm sorry you're having such a tough winter.
At the moment I'm kinda glad I live in a cyclone-prone tropical city, not a blizzard-prone one. That may change, of course, when a Category 4 cyclone is bearing down on us in a couple of months' time. :toilet:

:namaste:
Kim

PeterB

Post by PeterB » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:06 am

rowboat wrote:

Mother Jones: We Fact Checked Aaron Sorkin's Climate Science on The Newsroom

Whoah...hang on...I think the purport of that clip has been misunderstood.
I am a fan of The Newsroom and watched that scene in context..what happened in dramatic terms before it and following it are essential to understanding it.
Its purport was to show a young reporter behaving in an ethically proper way, and the ambilavilent nature of her - reward for so doing.... which is an ' exclusive ' with an environmentalist, who then undermines his own case by hyperbole and lack of balance...and who shows through skillful writing and acting that he is in fact projecting his own depression.
The result in the case of the Newsroom crew is to shrug off his claims, and for Maggie to see her ' exclusive ; in a more realistic light.
There is a lesson there for all those who are concerned about the environment.
Sorkin is a very subtle and nuanced writer.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks, Peter - that does change things.
:thinking:
If they present the science accurately and then discount it as 'just this guy's depression' they are actually undermining the science, throwing doubt on it. That's not good at all.
Would the show do the same with someone's belief that (e.g.) drug cartels have a big influence on what happens in South America?

:coffee:
Kim

PeterB

Post by PeterB » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:54 am

Sorkin is not a climate change denier KIm.
Context is all...the whole programme is about the dynamics within TV journalism.
Maggie has made some spectacular misjudgements and is inexperienced, she is sent by her boss to cover an entirely different subject, his judgement in sending her is questioned. and by happenstance she runs into the environmentalist on a train talking very indiscreetly about senior government officials..he is a government employee. Maggie hears it al..and records it. She could use it but decides not too after talking with him. He is relieved and volunteers to do an interview..Maggie sees this as a feather in her cap, the result is what the clip shows.
In other words its not about C.C. at all its about ethical behaviour in journalism being its own reward, rather than being a simple matter cause and effect.

rowboat

Post by rowboat » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:23 am

Thanks, Kim.

:anjali:

Peter, you are missing the point. The title of the thread is Global Warming: Recent Data not Scenes from American Television About Climate Change. I made my original post with a specific purpose in mind, and I followed this clip with an article that does a fair job of 'fact checking' the various points presented in the clip from Newsroom.
Ud 5.5

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Have just been re-watching Cosmos, which recently came to NETFLIX. Niel DeGrasse Tyson did a good job in this episode re. GW:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/ ... ge-episode
Last edited by Ron-The-Elder on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:42 pm

I wish!
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:19 pm

What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:11 pm

Ron-The-Elder wrote:Plenty of Solar to Go Around:

http://climatedesk.org/2014/11/here-com ... in-charts/ :coffee:
:twothumbsup:

Kim

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:25 pm

Kim OHara wrote:
Ron-The-Elder wrote:Plenty of Solar to Go Around:

http://climatedesk.org/2014/11/here-com ... in-charts/ :coffee:
:twothumbsup:

Kim
Hi, Kim.

Yes. It is truly exciting as well as good news. However, we still have to overcome the "ugly factor", which holds back many appearance and home resale concerned owners ( women, much like that one that married me and owns the house in which we are currently living). Efficiency in regions of the northern and southern hemispheres, such as where we live here in New Hampshire are direly affected by snowfall and ice during the winter, as well as use of plant shade for cooling and CO2 sequestering in the summer. For example my calculated efficiency due to frozen precipitates in the winter and tree provided shade in the summer is about 0.41, or 41%, which means in my particular case that return on investment still remains in decades compared to other clean and conventional sources. We are in an ideal region for wind and hydro-electric, but the "ugly factor" is even raised by community groups, which rely on the pristine nature of our region to attract tourists as well as second home owners. :cry:

Still waiting for solar painted roofs and roofing tiles to come on the market for repair by replacemenrt. :zzz:
What Makes an Elder? :

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Making fuel out of thin air

The article is about a discovery concerning graphene. Very interesting substance.

Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:13 am

Hi, James.

Thanks for the article. A few years ago I saw a NOVA documentary re. study of a solar wind and plasma, which device used graphene as a collection media. Interesting material. Hope the outlook for its uses in alternate energy sources proves fruitful and up to its promise.
What Makes an Elder? :

rowboat

Post by rowboat » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:25 am

This is a rather ingenious project from the World Meteorological Organization.

How will climate change impact our weather in the year 2050? Watch “weather reports from the future”

If humanity’s greenhouse gas emissions continue to increase, the average temperature of the Earth’s lower atmosphere could rise more than 4°C (7.2°F) by the end of the 21st century. But what does a global average temperature rise really mean? How would we experience it on a daily basis?

To find out what could lie in store, WMO invited television weather presenters from around the world to imagine a “weather report from the year 2050.” What they created are only possible scenarios, of course, and not true forecasts. Nevertheless, they are based on the most up-to-date climate science, and they paint a compelling picture of what life could be like on a warmer planet.

These worst-case futures do not need to happen. WMO is launching these videos to support ambitious action on climate change by governments, business and civil society.

Links to the videos, hosted at youtube.com/wmovideomaster, are available below on the date scheduled for their release:
(Broadcast and projection of the videos is authorized free of charge and without formal written permission provided that the original source is acknowledged and subject to the standard creative commons licensing condition.)

Series 2 (Lima Climate Change Conference)

1 December – SENAMHI Peru: Spanish w/English subtitles
2 December – TF1 France: French w/English and Spanish subtitles
3 December – VTV Vietnam: Vietnamese w/English and Spanish subtitles
4 December – TVE Spain: Spanish w/English subtitles
5 December – MétéoMédia Canada: French w/English and Spanish subtitles
6 December – NRK Norway: Norwegian w/English and Spanish subtitles

Series 1 (UN Climate Summit)
1 September – “Teaser”
3 September – Brazil: Portuguese w/ English, French and Spanish subtitles
4 September – NHK Japan: Japanese w/ English subtitles
5 September – DBC Denmark: English w/ French, Spanish and Russian subtitles
8 September – ZNBC Zambia: English w/ French and Spanish subtitles
9 September – Chorus Prod./Météo Burkina, Burkina Faso: French w/ Arabic, Chinese and English subtitles
10 September – Weather Channel USA: English w/ Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish subtitles
11 September – NBC TV6 USA: English w/ Arabic, French and Spanish subtitles
12 September – NOVA TV Bulgaria: Bulgarian w/ English, French and Russian subtitles
15 September – TV5 Philippines: Tagalog/English w/ Chinese and English subtitles
16 September – VTM Belgium: Flemish w/English subtitles
17 September – SABC South Africa: English
18 September – RUV Iceland: English and Icelandic w/ English subtitles, Spanish and Russian subtitles
19 September – ARD Germany: German w/ English subtitles
22 September – TBC1 ITV Tanzania: English
24 September – Highlights of Climate Summit future weather reports: English

WMO Weather Reports from 2050
Ud 5.5