Americans will never give up their guns.

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
DooDoot

Re: Americans will never give up their guns.

Post by DooDoot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:39 am

No_Mind wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:12 pm
The entire Bhagvad Gita is about Krishna coaxing Arjuna to kill his cousin brothers and grand uncle (of whom Arjuna was very fond). Hindu notion of Karma is different and only reason I mention it is because this is Current Events and News section.
Indeed. Refer to the Kalaka Sutta, which explains how a Tathagata views the ignorance of other religions.
No_Mind wrote:
To take up arms to combat Adharma is the sacred duty of a Dharmic person. As I said previously, being a Hin-Budd I am not subject to several constraints that Buddhists are.
'Dharma' is a word used universally among Indian religions. Most simplistically 'dharma' means 'duty according to law'. Yet what is dharma (duty & law) differs among the Indian religions, which is why Buddhism is called 'Buddha-Dhamma' or the Dhamma of the Buddha. Again, refer to the Kalaka Sutta, which explains how a Tathagata views the ignorance of other religions, such as Hinduism. In Buddha-Dhamma, it is obviously not rocket science to understand to take up arms to combat Adharma is not the sacred duty of a Dhammic person. The Buddha taught the warrior in battle is reborn in animal womb & hell.
No_Mind wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 am
What you mean is western convert Buddhists tend to go on extreme .. native Buddhists have a pretty bloody history of killing and war and not being frazzled by it.
Religions of various societies are generally adopted by kings & ruling classes. For example, Christianity existed for 300 years, persecuted by the Roman Empire, but suddenly, in 380AD, was made the official religion of Rome. Or, at some point between 740 and 920 CE, the Khazar royalty and nobility appear to have converted to Judaism. In India, Buddhism flourished under the sponsorship Ashoka but declined under later rulers. The British battled between Catholicism & Protestantism (because Henry VIII wanted to divorce rather than behead his wives) until Protestantism prevailed when backed by the commercial interests. Thus, the majority peoples of nations generally are not religious practitioners but merely ordinary people following the State Religion; including State Religions such as Nazism, Apartheid, Zionism, Cultural Marxism, Hollywood, Consumerism & American Exceptionalism.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:23 am

DooDoot wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:39 am
No_Mind wrote:
The entire Bhagvad Gita is about Krishna coaxing Arjuna to kill his cousin brothers and grand uncle (of whom Arjuna was very fond). Hindu notion of Karma is different and only reason I mention it is because this is Current Events and News section.
Indeed. Refer to the Kalaka Sutta, which explains how a Tathagata views the ignorance of other religions.
No_Mind wrote:
To take up arms to combat Adharma is the sacred duty of a Dharmic person. As I said previously, being a Hin-Budd I am not subject to several constraints that Buddhists are.
'Dharma' is a word used universally among Indian religions. Most simplistically 'dharma' means 'duty according to law'. Yet what is dharma (duty & law) differs among the Indian religions, which is why Buddhism is called 'Buddha-Dhamma' or the Dhamma of the Buddha. Again, refer to the Kalaka Sutta, which explains how a Tathagata views the ignorance of other religions, such as Hinduism. In Buddha-Dhamma, it is obviously not rocket science to understand to take up arms to combat Adharma is not the sacred duty of a Dhammic person. The Buddha taught the warrior in battle is reborn in animal womb & hell.

Do you realize that if what you wrote was actually practiced .. if in 2010 every soldier in NATO, Russia and Iran became a changed person who would not kill then ISIS would be ruling us today?

If the truck driver in Nice who ran over people was not shot dead he would have gone on to create more havoc? If the Las Vegas concert shooter was not shot dead .. he would have killed more people.

Note what I wrote .. to use violence in self defense only .. not any other reason.
Monks, even if bandits were to savagely sever you, limb by limb, with a double-handled saw, even then, whoever of you harbors ill will at heart would not be upholding my Teaching. Monks, even in such a situation you should train yourselves thus: 'Neither shall our minds be affected by this, nor for this matter shall we give vent to evil words, but we shall remain full of concern and pity, with a mind of love, and we shall not give in to hatred. On the contrary, we shall live projecting thoughts of universal love to those very persons, making them as well as the whole world the object of our thoughts of universal love — thoughts that have grown great, exalted and measureless. We shall dwell radiating these thoughts which are void of hostility and ill will.' It is in this way, monks, that you should train yourselves.

The Parable of the Saw https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .budd.html
This is meant for monks not laity.

Would not respond to this line of conversation any more because it is fruitless.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:34 am

No_Mind wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:23 am
Do you realize that if what you wrote was actually practiced .. if in 2010 every soldier in NATO, Russia and Iran became a changed person who would not kill then ISIS would be ruling us today?
ISIS work for NATO. Regardless, based on the reality of history, the majority of the people of the earth will never be truly religious.
No_Mind wrote:
If the truck driver in Nice who ran over people was not shot dead he would have gone on to create more havoc? If the Las Vegas concert shooter was not shot dead .. he would have killed more people.
If the truck driver or all people in Las Vegas were religious, they would not kill people.
No_Mind wrote:
Note what I wrote .. to use violence in self defense only .. not any other reason. Would not respond to this line of conversation any more because it is fruitless.
You seem to write Hinduism of the Gita.

Last edited by DooDoot on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:35 am

Native Buddhists are not a homogeneous bloc. There are those born into a Buddhist culture and convert Buddhists too and all sorts in between.

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:55 am

DooDoot wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:34 am
No_Mind wrote:
ISIS work for NATO. Regardless, based on the reality of history, the majority of the people of the earth will never be truly religious.
No_Mind wrote:
If the truck driver or all people in Las Vegas were religious, they would not kill people.
And until all men with diabolical intentions gave up their savage tendencies and became religious (I guess you mean non-violent, compassionate, virtuous by religious) we should go on being killed by random mad men with guns and knives and trucks and bombs ..?

Do you even read what you are writing?

The superciliousness that some western Buddhists display is the reason why Buddhism is stuck at 0.3% in the West.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:03 am

No_Mind wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:55 am
And until all men with diabolical intentions gave up their savage tendencies and became religious (I guess you mean non-violent, compassionate, virtuous by religious) we should go on being killed by random mad men with guns and knives and trucks and bombs ..?
Random mad men with guns and knives and trucks and bombs kill people in order to subjugate; similar to how the British once subjugated the primitive Calcutta Indians in order to economically exploit. Once subjugation is complete, the killing generally stops. Today, the random killers are based in Washington DC. Do you still believe the Hollywood press that ISIS are 'Muslims'?
President Trump has ended the clandestine American program to provide arms and supplies to Syrian rebel groups, American officials said, a recognition that the effort was failing and that the administration has given up hope of helping to topple the government of President Bashar al-Assad.

The decision came more than a month ago, the officials said, by which time the effort to deliver the arms had slowed to a trickle.

It was never publicly announced, just as the beginnings of the program four years ago were officially a secret, authorized by President Barack Obama through a “finding” that permitted the C.I.A. to conduct a deniable program. News of the troublesome program soon leaked out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/worl ... ebels.html
However, throughout history, the base changes. This is why it is important for ordinary Americans, who cling with lust to the world, to not give up their guns because the mad random killers are based in Washington DC & those in Washington DC calling for the abolition of guns are often those who wish to subjugate. For example, do the anti-US-gun crowd like Chuck Schumer call for Israel to give up guns (similar to how Chuck Schumer is pro-US-abortion but anti-Israel-abortion)? Nikolas Cruz is a product of a dysfunctional manipulated Cultural Marxist society thus the greater incentive for the common (non-Buddhist) people to keep their guns. The Battle of Armageddon will probably not occur in Megiddo Israel but probably in the USA.

No_Mind wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:55 am
The superciliousness that some western Buddhists display is the reason why Buddhism is stuck at 0.3% in the West.
Buddhism is for liberation from the world. Practicing Buddhist don't keep guns. About the 0.3%, the Buddha said:
174. Blind is the world; here only a few possess insight. Only a few, like birds escaping from the net, go to realms of bliss.

Dhammapada
:meditate:
Last edited by DooDoot on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Justsit

Post by Justsit » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:41 am

We've come to this. I think the Founding Fathers would be appalled.

https://www.ravelry.com/forum-images/sy ... 47x-fr2kae

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:25 am

the choice is simple, either you're pro gun control, or you're pro massacre, no ands ifs about it!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:06 pm

The guy in the video trains with militias to defend against disasters or terrorism, but he is overweight and looks like he is about to have a heart attack any minute.

To me, it looks like the burgers he eats are a bigger threat to him and his family than anything else.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:08 am

For me, the reasoning in this video is unsound & not particularly convincing. The amount of people using mental health (which is from where the statistics derive) is probably dependent upon the availability & affordability of mental health services. Just as the official US statistics say the unemployment rate is 4.1% when it is, in reality, much higher, I imagine the mental health statistics are similar. This said, the speaker made a relevant point about Trump reducing mental health funding.

Virgo

Post by Virgo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:32 am

DooDoot wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:08 am
For me, the reasoning in this video is unsound & not particularly convincing. The amount of people using mental health (which is from where the statistics derive) is probably dependent upon the availability & affordability of mental health services. Just as the official US statistics say the unemployment rate is 4.1% when it is, in reality, much higher, I imagine the mental health statistics are similar. This said, the speaker made a relevant point about Trump reducing mental health funding.
You know the specific statistics, but I do not, so I will not comment.

Kevin

manas

Post by manas » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:03 pm

Would this infringe upon the Second Amendment?

1. Firearms can only be owned by persons 18 years and older.
2. Applicant must pass a police and mental health check first.

What would be wrong with that? I can't see what the big deal is. In my country, that's only the beginning...there are more hoops to jump through, including being an active member of a shooters' club, and having a safe / vault embedded in the floor or other solid structure (the expense of which makes it difficult for low-income earners to own a firearm at all).
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:15 am

Greetings,

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)