Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
Saengnapha
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Saengnapha » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:15 am

mikenz66 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:40 am
Hi Dharmasherab,

Perhaps you should refer to the latest Sutta of the Pali Canon...

The Facebook Sutta (SN 57.1)

:heart:
Mike
:rofl: Very clever.

DooDoot
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by DooDoot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 am

Dharmasherab wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:33 am
The abundance of information in the media as well as cyberspace is a double-edged sword.
No, it is not. The abundance of information in the media is a vehicle (yāna) for the development of discernment (paññā).
yāna
neuter
a carriage; vehicle; going.
paññā
feminine
wisdom; knowledge; insight.

Saengnapha
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Saengnapha » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:43 am

Dharmasherab wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:33 am
The abundance of information in the media as well as cyberspace is a double-edged sword. It has its obvious benefits. Especially we as Buddhists can search for Buddhist information over the internet provided we comes across reliable sources instead of having to consider only the option of visiting libraries like the olden days when books were not that common.

It’s just about being aware of the flip side and the obstacles it creates for us in the path to enlightenment. I don’t know about others but I consider the news as a 'Samskara hose pipe'. I personally feel I would rather channel that attention towards Buddhist texts because there are plenty of Suttas and texts in Abhidhamma already to get through remembering that all of this Dhamma was preached for a reason and they not just throw away lines.

Indulgence in current affairs and news can be like a brain tumour which occupies the space of the mind which wont allow the Dhamma to grow in the mind.

Thank you Mike for that 'Facebook Sutta'. I ll check it out.

As for the quote by Lama Jampa that I used what matters is the content of his quote and not getting too hung up in a form of ‘religious identity politics’ going off topic as to why I brought up his name. There have been instances where people bring quotes even from non-Buddhists but that doesn’t imply that such people try to promote ideas outside of Buddhism in DhammaWheel. Likewise when I used the quote from Lama Jampa it was the message that mattered with respect to this post and not the identity of the person. Ad hominem includes but is not limited to insulting. It also includes criticism of the identity or attribute of the person making a statement rather than the actual substance within that statement.

argumentum ad hominem
While it's true that there is some antagonism regarding Tibetan Buddhism within this forum, the same applies to Dharmawheel, where there is a negative bias towards Theravada and the Pali Canon.

The points that Doo Doot made were very clear. I hope you can see that. But the point of disenchantment, disinterest, and dispassion is a crucial turning point in someone who is interested in Dhamma. If one is still attracted by news, looking for entertainment or distraction, one has not developed any insight and has not understood the nature of phenomenon which is changeable and unsatisfying. There is still all this habit energy going towards attraction and the emotional reactions that take place in you are the signs of it. Living in any age, the ideas of the world and yourself must be turned away from. This is what it means to calm the body and cultivate wisdom. Just sayin'

Saengnapha
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Saengnapha » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 am

DooDoot wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 am
Dharmasherab wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:33 am
The abundance of information in the media as well as cyberspace is a double-edged sword.
No, it is not. The abundance of information in the media is a vehicle (yāna) for the development of discernment (paññā).
yāna
neuter
a carriage; vehicle; going.
paññā
feminine
wisdom; knowledge; insight.
Discernment of what? Do you study media as opposed to Dhamma? Do they lead to the same thing? Perhaps you meant something else by your statement?

DooDoot
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by DooDoot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 am

Saengnapha wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 am
Discernment of what?
For insight purposes, discernment of propaganda vs truth, so disenchantment can be developed towards Mara's world.

Saengnapha
Posts: 326
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Saengnapha » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:02 am

DooDoot wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:19 am
Saengnapha wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 am
Discernment of what?
For insight purposes, discernment of propaganda vs truth, so disenchantment can be developed towards Mara's world.
I see your point. Ordinary experience seems to fit the bill, too.

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 5158
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Spiny Norman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:36 pm

Less time on the internet might be helpful... :thumbsup:
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

User avatar
Dharmasherab
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Dharmasherab » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Saengnapha wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:43 am
While it's true that there is some antagonism regarding Tibetan Buddhism within this forum, the same applies to Dharmawheel, where there is a negative bias towards Theravada and the Pali Canon.


Actually waht I wanted to bring forward was a quote that I found relevant in a book and that happened to be mentioned by a 'Lama'. But it was the message I was focussing on and the actual content of that quote can be appreciated by type of Buddhist. His identity becomes irrelevant because he was not making a statement which was exclusive to Tibetan Buddhism.

Also the DhammaWheel forum is meant to be dicussions on Theravada only. Because of this I refrained from discussing about the Lama or Tibetan Buddhism because I will violating the ToS. So this is the reason I did not include explanations of Tibetan Buddhism in responses. The quote I provided earlier in the post was as valuable as the content within that quote only and nothing more than that. There are plenty of quotes taken from indivudals who are not part of any type of Buddhism. So taking a quote from a Lama should make no difference.
Saengnapha wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:43 am
But the point of disenchantment, disinterest, and dispassion is a crucial turning point in someone who is interested in Dhamma. If one is still attracted by news, looking for entertainment or distraction, one has not developed any insight and has not understood the nature of phenomenon which is changeable and unsatisfying. There is still all this habit energy going towards attraction and the emotional reactions that take place in you are the signs of it. Living in any age, the ideas of the world and yourself must be turned away from. This is what it means to calm the body and cultivate wisdom. Just sayin'
Exactly Saenghapha spot on! As for that person you mentioned I dont read his posts because he is in my ignore list for reasons of my own (which I have already discussed with the admins).

User avatar
Dharmasherab
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Dharmasherab » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:33 pm

Aloka wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:09 pm
Why keep quoting lamas then ?
Because the importance of the quote matters as much as the content within that quote and not the identity of the individual within the limits of what is being discussed.

I have seen people quote from those who not part of any school of Buddhism yet the value is meant to be in the content only and not embedded within the identity of the individual that makes them provided that the content of the quote is within the context of what is being discussed.

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5632
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Aloka » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Dharmasherab wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:33 pm
Aloka wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:09 pm
Why keep quoting lamas then ?
Because the importance of the quote matters as much as the content within that quote and not the identity of the individual within the limits of what is being discussed.

I have seen people quote from those who not part of any school of Buddhism yet the value is meant to be in the content only and not embedded within the identity of the individual that makes them provided that the content of the quote is within the context of what is being discussed.
I made that comment because you said "I prefer not to discuss Tibetan Buddhism in DhammaWheel" and it seemed strange that you would say that when you have quoted Tibetan lamas in your posts, that's all.

Other than that, and with all due respect, I'm really not interested in getting into a boring lengthy argument with you. Life's too short.

be well and happy. :hello:

DooDoot
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:06 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by DooDoot » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:31 pm

Dharmasherab wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:08 pm
As for that person you mentioned I dont read his posts because he is in my ignore list for reasons of my own (which I have already discussed with the admins).
If DhammaWheel is an unbearable suffering creating information overload then what hope is there maintaining boundless compassion, composure, equanimity & wisdom with the mass media? Bodhicitta wishes to save all sentient beings & ignores none. Bodhicitta is boundless, without limit. Therefore, it is impossible for the Boundless Limitless Compassion of Bodhicitta to experience 'Information Overload'. Living as Buddhists in the current information age means living in an age of 'BodhiCitta Overload' because Bodhicitta flows towards all infomation like life giving water flows towards low dry ground. The more unwholesome information, the more BodhiCitta that is generated, in response. This being said, in the Pali suttas, the "person" is "the burden" of carrying the five aggregates with self-view. Bodhicitta is accompanied by a falling away of the attachment to the illusion of an inherently existing self or 'person'. :roll:
Bodhicitta is a spontaneous wish to attain enlightenment motivated by great compassion for all sentient beings, accompanied by a falling away of the attachment to the illusion of an inherently existing self.

With a determination to achieve the highest aim
For the benefit of all sentient beings
Which surpasses even the wish-fulfilling gem,
May I hold them dear at all times.

Whenever I interact with someone,
May I view myself as the lowest amongst all,
And, from the very depths of my heart,
Respectfully hold the other as superior.

In all my deeds may I probe into my mind,
And as soon as mental and emotional afflictions arise-
As they endanger myself and others-
May I strongly confront them and avert them.

When I see beings I personally dislike
That lead me to strong negativity and suffering,
May I hold them dear-for they are rare to find-
As if I have discovered a jewel treasure!
May I regard him still as my precious teacher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhicitta
And he lets his mind pervade one quarter of the world with thoughts of Compassion, and so the second, and so the third, and so the fourth. And thus the whole wide world, above, below, around, and everywhere, does he continue to pervade with heart of Compassion, far-reaching, grown great, and beyond measure.

Just, Vāseṭṭha, as a mighty trumpeter makes himself heard—and that without difficulty—in all the four directions; even so of all things that have shape or life, there is not one that he passes by or leaves aside, but regards them all with mind set free, and deep-felt Compassion.

https://suttacentral.net/en/dn13
A burden indeed
are the five aggregates,
when the carrier of the burden
is the person
.
Taking up the burden in the world
is stressful.
Casting off the burden
is bliss.
Having cast off the heavy burden
and not taking on another,
pulling up craving,
along with its root,
one is free from hunger,
totally unbound.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Last edited by DooDoot on Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dharmasherab
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Dharmasherab » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 am

Aloka wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:52 pm
I made that comment because you said "I prefer not to discuss Tibetan Buddhism in DhammaWheel" and it seemed strange that you would say that when you have quoted Tibetan lamas in your posts, that's all.
I think I should have phrased this as "unfortunately the ToS doesnt allow me to explain about Tibetan Buddhism" and then communicated through personal messenger (but only if you were interested).

User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
Posts: 18535
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:20 am

Greetings,

C'mon gentlemen... That's information overload. 8-)

Remember...
Terms of Service wrote: 2f. Ad-hominem attacks, including the vilification of individuals based on any attributes - whether related to their personal attributes (e.g. gender, nationality, sexuality, race, age) or their approach to the Dhamma (e.g. their practices, level of experience, or chosen tradition)
:focus:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

User avatar
manas
Posts: 2284
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by manas » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 am

With regard to what is on TV, there is no 'news', just the same tired old story, with different names and faces doing the same old things.
"To these too I teach the Dhamma which is lovely in its beginning, lovely in its middle and lovely in its ending, in spirit and in letter, I display to them the holy life, perfectly fulfilled and purified."
- from the Desanaa Sutta

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 5158
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Spiny Norman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:22 pm

manas wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 am
With regard to what is on TV, there is no 'news', just the same tired old story, with different names and faces doing the same old things.
I find that as time goes on I am increasingly less interested in politics and current affairs. I see little point in getting worked up about stuff I can do nothing about.
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

binocular
Posts: 4046
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by binocular » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Dharmasherab wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:12 pm
We live in an age where information is highly abundant. But we need to ask ourselves whether that is always a good thing? It can depend on what type of information we are talking about.
This is also a commercial niche for self-help books:
The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload

chownah
Posts: 6580
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by chownah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:33 am

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:22 pm
manas wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 am
With regard to what is on TV, there is no 'news', just the same tired old story, with different names and faces doing the same old things.
I find that as time goes on I am increasingly less interested in politics and current affairs. I see little point in getting worked up about stuff I can do nothing about.
I don't know your personal situation but have you considered that you might have reached the social status of being "old and in the way"? Here's a test to find out: Is finding a clean pair of matching sox and gumming down your mid morning mush the tasks you have set out to accomplish before noon?....and is arriving at bed time without having stained your underwear your major accomplishment of the day?....if so then I'm sorry to say...........
chownah

chownah
Posts: 6580
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by chownah » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:35 am

Don't let 'information overload' become 'information overlord'.
chownah

User avatar
Dharmasherab
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Re: Living as Buddhists in an age of 'Information Overload'

Post by Dharmasherab » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:35 pm

binocular wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 pm
This is also a commercial niche for self-help books:
The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload
Ah! I did buy that book sometime and should read it. But I do agree the self-help section of bookstores tend to prey on people's vulnerabilities and turn that into a money making machine. I am hopeful most of us wont need self-help guides to make us see that we are better off avoiding junk information pouring out of the mass media hose pipe. :-)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: retrofuturist, robertk and 8 guests