offering a meal as opposed to offering food

On the development of the quality of generosity and the promotion of persons and organisations who are worthy recipients of receiving gifts.
anthbrown84

offering a meal as opposed to offering food

Postby anthbrown84 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I am intrested, does anyone here offer a meal at a monastery or maybe offer food in bags ready for a kitchen manager or a volunteer to cook for the monastics?

I am going to start a small weekly dana and I feel this is potentially very rewarding, maybe more so than simply offering food.

I am also intrested is there any difference in merit? Is there any sutta references to this? Is offering shopping bags of food a legitimate source of merit??
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: offering a meal as opposed to offering food

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:42 pm

I think you should have a chat with the kitchen manager, and see what is the most helpful.

The Payasi Sutta may be helpful (see the final section).
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

anthbrown84

Postby anthbrown84 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:37 am

Thank you Venerable Sir, i guess i have to make sure it isnt going to actually make things more difficult for him or maybe even the community :)

Much appreciated
"Your job in practise is to know the difference between the heart and the activity of the heart, that is it, it is that simple" Ajahn Tate

Virgo

Postby Virgo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:01 am

anthbrown84 wrote:Thank you Venerable Sir, i guess i have to make sure it isnt going to actually make things more difficult for him or maybe even the community :)

Much appreciated

Well the kitchen will have needs, so you just want to make sure you meet those needs. Certain items may be far more desired than others, and certain items they may not be able to use. Also there is usually a general list, for example, they might need extension chords, or work-lights, or tarps, or what have you. You never know until you ask the right person.

Kevin

Return to “Dāna”