give services

Organisational work, teaching, Sunday school syllabus, charitable work, outreach, sharing of resources, artwork, etc.
mario92

give services

Post by mario92 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:43 pm

Hi is there a way to lend some services in the internet?, to a buddhist monastery or some bhikkhu, i study graphic design, but i dont have work, my parents mantain me, and im unable to win some money, i live in total comfort doing nothing, watching tv, walking around my house, etc, and i think there is nothing near me that i could really help, so i think the only way is by using internet, or am i wrong? I dont feel really comfortable being in this way.
I think karma is the first topic we should understand before starting in meditation.

befriend

Re: give services

Post by befriend » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:25 pm

some monasteries have audio talks they need transcribed, its where you listen to the talk and then type it up, so people can read it.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

mario92

Post by mario92 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:22 am

mm ok thank you, ill see, but i think is more advanced practice, like teaching the dhamma, instead of just giving some service. But thanks for the reply :) may you be well
I think karma is the first topic we should understand before starting in meditation.

samseva

Post by samseva » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:37 am

Find actual work to save money. Trust me, when you won't have your parents to support you, you'll thank your past self. Even if you use it for you rather than for others, being able to support yourself is a noble endeavour, and at the beginning, not an easy one at all. Most importantly, before you help or support others, you should first support yourself (although it doesn't mean you can't practice generosity while under your parents' care).

If you really don't want to save the money you earn (which is a risky situation)—or you think you might end up having too much of it for some reason—you could buy food and give it to homeless people, or donate some of it to a monastery. Money isn't evil or necessarily a cause of greed, it just depends how you use it. You could also do some volunteering.

mario92

Post by mario92 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:17 pm

May parents dont let me work, i was redacting a request for a job in dairy queen in my city they just refused totally, i replied, and the became more angry, i think i´ll remain an useless person, i dont know how many time, this is suffering.

samseva

Post by samseva » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:13 am

mario92 wrote:May parents dont let me work, i was redacting a request for a job in dairy queen in my city they just refused totally, i replied, and the became more angry, i think i´ll remain an useless person, i dont know how many time, this is suffering.
Not working doesn't mean you are a useless person at all. Like you want to do, there are many ways to spend your time wisely and/or generously. If you really can't work, keep an open mind and I am sure you will find ways to either help people or do things that will benefit you eventually—like doing things that will develop skills that will be useful in the future.

Thumbs up for your endeavours to offer help to someone or people and to try to find ways to spend your time well.

DC2R

Post by DC2R » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Monasteries usually have work days where the lay community comes out to volunteer. They do work such as collecting firewood or planting trees. It does not cost a penny!

If you do not live near monastery, you could offer your graphic design services to Buddhist websites such as this one:

https://suttacentral.net/contacts

In the list of acknowledgments, it seems there are many people that volunteered to help on the project. I am not sure if they still need help, but you could email them and ask.

Wat Metta recently updated their logo; someone with skills in graphic design probably did that.

You have to really dig for opportunities to help in this way, but I hope you will find some way to help!
May the blessings of the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha always be firmly established in your hearts.

http://txti.es/theravada

mario92

Post by mario92 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:32 am

DC2R wrote:Monasteries usually have work days where the lay community comes out to volunteer. They do work such as collecting firewood or planting trees. It does not cost a penny!

If you do not live near monastery, you could offer your graphic design services to Buddhist websites such as this one:

https://suttacentral.net/contacts

In the list of acknowledgments, it seems there are many people that volunteered to help on the project. I am not sure if they still need help, but you could email them and ask.

Wat Metta recently updated their logo; someone with skills in graphic design probably did that.

You have to really dig for opportunities to help in this way, but I hope you will find some way to help!
Thank you :D :anjali:

mario92

Post by mario92 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:33 am

samseva wrote:
mario92 wrote:May parents dont let me work, i was redacting a request for a job in dairy queen in my city they just refused totally, i replied, and the became more angry, i think i´ll remain an useless person, i dont know how many time, this is suffering.
Not working doesn't mean you are a useless person at all. Like you want to do, there are many ways to spend your time wisely and/or generously. If you really can't work, keep an open mind and I am sure you will find ways to either help people or do things that will benefit you eventually—like doing things that will develop skills that will be useful in the future.

Thumbs up for your endeavours to offer help to someone or people and to try to find ways to spend your time well.
Thank you :D