Ordination Gift?

On the development of the quality of generosity and the promotion of persons and organisations who are worthy recipients of receiving gifts.
JohnK

Ordination Gift?

Postby JohnK » Thu May 18, 2017 8:03 pm

I will be attending an ordination and am wondering if and what type of gift might be a good idea. I expect possessions are minimal -- I don't want to add to a pile of stuff being renounced! I could certainly donate to the monastery, but wondering about the monk. Thoughts?
"Why is it, Master Kaccana, that ascetics fight with ascetics?"
"It is, brahmin, because of attachment to views, adherence to views, fixation on views, addiction to views, obsession with views, holding firmly to views that ascetics fight with ascetics" (AN 2: iv, 6, abridged).
Kindly eyes, not verbal daggers.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Ordination Gift?

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 pm

A jar of honey is a fairly safe bet, unless he is diabetic.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Fri May 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Thank you for the suggestion -- I'm a friend of his parents and will check to make sure honey is okay for him.

I'm happy to hear any other suggestions that folks might have.
I would consider one of the complete Nikayas (thinking of Bodhi English translations from Wisdom), but he may already have (perhaps not all?), and I'm sure he will have sutta access at the monastery. (I like to have a personal copy to underline, bracket, and make notes in the margins.) He will be at Wat Metta outside of San Diego, CA, and Thanissaro's sutta translations might be preferred there?
"It is, brahmin, because of attachment to views, adherence to views, fixation on views, addiction to views, obsession with views, holding firmly to views that ascetics fight with ascetics" (AN 2: iv, 6, abridged).

R1111

Postby R1111 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:A jar of honey is a fairly safe bet, unless he is diabetic.

maybe mix honey with some butter/ghee, i think it is a fair bit better than plain honey for energy

Jojola

Postby Jojola » Fri May 19, 2017 7:37 pm

JohnK wrote:I will be attending an ordination and am wondering if and what type of gift might be a good idea. I expect possessions are minimal -- I don't want to add to a pile of stuff being renounced! I could certainly donate to the monastery, but wondering about the monk. Thoughts?

When I received my novice ordination I was given a book as a gift, that was really nice. Rude Awakenings, book of a monk and his lay-attended on pilgrimage to all the buddhist holy sites, wasn't a fictional novel, was read as a story and pertained to Dhamma.

One of the most practical things I can think of would be a razor set, a straight razor set, one of those straight blades that can be folded into its handle maintained and re-used. Permitted in the Vinaya being it's a necessity for a monk and is a tool that can be used for shaving both head and face without needing replacement, electricity, and can be practiced to use without a bathroom or bathroom mirror, which would be a very nice skill for a monk to learn in the long-run.

With it he wouldn't require a source of disposable plastic razors, or one that needs new blades every so often bought from a store, or electricity.

Whether or not he'd be interested in learning to use it however is another story.
Regards,

- :heart:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha’s Teaching." - Nanavira Thera (1920-1965) :candle:

Jojola

Postby Jojola » Fri May 19, 2017 8:34 pm

MAYBE nevermind on the razor idea, at least that style, depending on him. Just talked to my teacher, they used them in Thailand but for the most part they shaved each others heads because they are such a pain to learn, and dangerous. I personally want one like that and want to learn to use it on my own tho being that after my five years I want to be a wandering monk. Just gonna take a lot of patience and practice and probably endure some painful mistakes lol

A razor in GENERAL though is always useful for a monk.
Regards,

- :heart:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Only in a vertical view, straight down into the abyss of his own personal existence, is a man capable of apprehending the perilous insecurity of his situation; and only a man who does apprehend this is prepared to listen to the Buddha’s Teaching." - Nanavira Thera (1920-1965) :candle:

JohnK

Postby JohnK » Sat May 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Just got word from the "monk-mom" -- a small tea kettle is apparently just the thing -- (maybe with a jar of honey in it!) -- I think his parents are getting him a small backpacking-type stove.

Return to “Dāna”