The teachings of Ven. Waharaka Abhayaratanalankara Thero

A forum for Dhamma resources in languages other than English
Lal

Re: The teachings of Ven. Waharaka Abhayaratanalankara Thero

Post by Lal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:29 am

Hello 2600htz,

I am almost back to normal. Thank you!

Those "nine stages of a citta" go through in a billionth of a second. It is an extremely fast process and no one but a Buddha can see those steps. We can understand those steps once we are taught (they are discussed in the Abhidhamma Pitaka of the Tipitaka).
Basically, within that time one’s mind receives the input (say a visual input from the eyes), recognizes what it is, compares with past experiences, AND forms an opinion about it. All that happens within a small fraction of a second!
This is discussed in detail in the subsection: “Essential Abhidhamma – The Basics” at the site:https://puredhamma.net/abhidhamma/essen ... he-basics/
- The first few subsections of the "Living Dhamma" section also discuss some of these basic concepts: https://puredhamma.net/living-dhamma/

Yes. Those 9 stages happen due to Paticca Samuppada (Dependent Origination), but I have not discussed those processes even at puredhamma.net.
That is because we only need to understand the much slower Paticca Samuppada (PS) processes in order to cultivate the Path (via Satipatthana and Anapana meditations).
- The idapaccaya PS process that I am discussing now at Dhamma Wheel is a PS process that happens over seconds, minutes, hours, and days.
- The uppatti PS process (which leads to rebirth) happens over years and even over many lifetimes. I will discuss that next at Dhamma Wheel.

Those two processes describe how our CONSCIOUS thinking (vaci sankhara and kaya sankhara) lead to speech and actions, and generate kamma that can bring vipaka (corresponding results) in this life and also in future lives.

So, your second question is related to the first. The development of a citta from just basic awareness of seen something, to recognize it, to compare it with past experiences (that is how one knows that is a friend and not an enemy, for example), and then to form “feelings” (good or bad depending on that recognition), and even decide on whether to look again or to look away (or even to speak or to act), for example. All these happen within a fraction of a second. Only the mind of a Buddha can “see” that fast evolution of a citta.
- As we know by own experiences all those things happen within a fraction of a second upon seeing someone. But only a Buddha can "see' and separate out those steps.
- That is discussed in the posts in the subsection mentioned above.
- I would be happy to discuss further if you or anyone else have questions. But please read those posts, and refer to bullet numbers there if you have a question on a specific point.