teaching to monastics vs lay people

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: teaching to monastics vs lay people

Post by Sam Vara »

What do we do with "such and such a teaching was taught to devas"?
SDC

Post by SDC »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:11 pm What do we do with "such and such a teaching was taught to devas"?
:jawdrop:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
thepea

Post by thepea »

DNS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:56 pm In the Suttas, we see numerous times, the Buddha beginning with "Bhikkhus . . ." but that could be because that is who his audience was on those occasions.

The Vinaya includes some discourses and teachings which were clearly meant for monks and nuns, not lay people.
I believe bhikkhu is defined as meditator within Goenka tradition. This can easily include lay practitioners.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Here is a sutta which talks about a major difference between lay and monk followers:
https://suttacentral.net/en/an9.41
Venerable Ananda, sir, we are householders who indulge in sensuality, delight in sensuality, enjoy sensuality, rejoice in sensuality. For us—indulging in sensuality, delighting in sensuality, enjoying sensuality, rejoicing in sensuality—renunciation seems like a sheer drop-off. Yet I’ve heard that in this doctrine & discipline the hearts of the very young monks leap up at renunciation, grow confident, steadfast, & firm, seeing it as peace. So right here is where this doctrine & discipline is contrary to the great mass of people: i.e., [this issue of] renunciation.’”
This excerpt contains the essence of the difference.....the entire sutta is worth reading too.

Given this difference it seems only natural that a good teacher would present different things to each group....but this doesn't mean that any teaching need necessarily be restricted to either group I think.
chownah