Is Ganges river back flow in Varanasi?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
binocular

Re: Is Ganges river back flow in Varanasi?

Post by binocular »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:36 pm
binocular wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:30 pmThat misses the point then, the point being that Moses had God-given powers to defy the natural elements.
Or that the Buddha could do this, "defy" the "natural" elements, on account of his own cultivation of ṛddhi,
One more thing:
The Buddha-to-be didn't tell the bowl to float in the opposite direction. He made a stipulation: “If I shall be able to-day to become a Buddha, let this pot go up the stream; if not, let it go down the stream!” So this isn't about his powers defying the natural elements.
Coëmgenu wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:09 amIs it? What makes it common-sensical? The underlying belief that the Buddha likely did not float around shooting fire & water out of his body because "we" (whoever that is) never seem to see people floating around performing such actions, or because the trees of the forest do not usually bow themselves down to the ground in prostration when a Dharma Master passes by?
Yes.
Some people say and/or believe (or perceive, I suppose!) realized lamas do not touch the ground. They float ever-so-slightly above it. They will say that if you look really closely at X or Y YouTube video of them preaching, you can actually see this slight levitation. I have never spotted it, despite being shown it and having it allegedly pointed out to me by a "true believer".
I don't think lamas are in the same category as the Buddha (yes, yes, I know, but this is a Theravada forum, and I can say that).
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

binocular wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:15 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:09 amIs it? What makes it common-sensical? The underlying belief that the Buddha likely did not float around shooting fire & water out of his body because "we" (whoever that is) never seem to see people floating around performing such actions, or because the trees of the forest do not usually bow themselves down to the ground in prostration when a Dharma Master passes by?
Yes.
If anything, a literalist account, "it happened just like how I think the text describes it happening" is a better guard against fake Buddhas.

In the instance of the Twin Miracle, all Buddhas float around and shoot fire and water out of their bodies specifically before the gates of Śrāvastī.

I'd like to see a false claimant of Buddhahood perform that miracle. Or making a bowl flow specifically against the current of a river would suffice.

Does that make me more or less gullible for saying that? Is the Tathāgata found in his supernatural displays or his dhamma? Is there a difference between his supernatural displays and his dhamma?
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
chownah

Post by chownah »

binocular wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 am
chownah wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:09 amBecause it is the topic of discussion for this thread....now do you understand how come they do that?
As long as there exist alternative -- traditional, actually -- explanations of how come that bowl floated in the opposite direction, the scope of this topic is, obviously, wider than just trying to come up with common-sensical explanations.
This exchange started when you said:
And yet several posters took it upon themselves to find a common-sensical explanation for how the Buddha's bowl could float against the stream. How come they did that?
The title of the thread is asking for common sense explanations.....the original post asks for common sense explanations.....now do you understand why people gave common sense explanations?....do you understand how come they did that?
chownah
binocular

Post by binocular »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:21 amIf anything, a literalist account, "it happened just like how I think the text describes it happening" is a better guard against fake Buddhas.
Yes, absolutely, thank you for pointing this out.

When the options are whittled down to either 1. insist in the text, regardless of what it says, or 2. invent a plausible-seeming, but worldly explanation, I think it's better to go with the former.

However, I wouldn't call this a deliberate, rational decision. I think it's a matter of reverence -- something that isn't talked about much in these corners, and which is not easy to explain esp. to scientifically-minded people. (And I admit I have some fear about risking the disapproval of some posters.)
I think it's sad that many people don't seem to distinguish between gullibility and reverence, and think it's all gullibility. And there are probably others who believe it's all reverence.
Is the Tathāgata found in his supernatural displays or his dhamma? Is there a difference between his supernatural displays and his dhamma?
I'm afraid this is above my paygrade. I did ask Venerable Dhammanando for help. He used to have a passage in his signature about reverence. I don't remember it exactly, but it was about the importance of reverence.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

chownah wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 amThe title of the thread is asking for common sense explanations.....the original post asks for common sense explanations.....now do you understand why people gave common sense explanations?....do you understand how come they did that?
This is a Buddhist forum. We don't have to limit ourselves to common-sensical explanations of the Buddha's miracles.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Coëmgenu wrote:
binocular wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:52 am Is the Tathāgata found in his supernatural displays or his dhamma? Is there a difference between his supernatural displays and his dhamma?
I'm afraid this is above my paygrade. I did ask Venerable Dhammanando for help. He used to have a passage in his signature about reverence. I don't remember it exactly, but it was about the importance of reverence.
What I was dancing around and implying indirectly is: Is the notion that one can sever karma and escape transmigration any more "radical" "miraculous" "impossible" and "contravening common-sense" (presuming transmigration is considered "common sense") than a Buddha floating about and shooting fire and water out of his body? Or a Buddha's bowl floating against a stream?
What is the Uncreated?
binocular

Post by binocular »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 amWhat I was dancing around and implying indirectly is: Is the notion that one can sever karma and escape transmigration any more "radical" "miraculous" "impossible" and "contravening common-sense" than a Buddha floating about and shooting fire and water out of his body? Or a Buddha's bowl floating against a stream?
The notion that a complete cessation of suffering, the severing of kamma, escaping transmigration are possible is, in my opinion, extraordinary -- it's radical, miraculous, contravening common-sense, and for all practical intents and purposes, seems utterly impossible.

This from an old exchange:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon May 20, 2013 7:50 pm
binocular wrote:The Buddhist proposition is as - excuse the word - outlandish as anything can get.

Ordinarily, many people expect to be miserable their whole life, to be, in Freud's words "commonly unhappy." Ordinarily, many people expect to think that "life as it is usually lived" is as good as it gets. Ordinarily, many people expect to live a life or quiet desperation.

Already the mere idea that we could get beyond that predicament, is categorically, universally, galactically, radically at odds with our usual expectations about life.
I don't think even you know what the above means, so I won't pretend to understand what you're saying.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
chownah

Post by chownah »

binocular wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 am
chownah wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 amThe title of the thread is asking for common sense explanations.....the original post asks for common sense explanations.....now do you understand why people gave common sense explanations?....do you understand how come they did that?
This is a Buddhist forum. We don't have to limit ourselves to common-sensical explanations of the Buddha's miracles.
You are the only want who seems to be trying to limit the discussion.....you seem to want to limit the discussion to certain things and you seem to be specifically trying to avoid the actual topic of this thread as stated in the title and as expressed in the original post....

The topic here is asking for common sense explanations. The title of the thread is asking for common sense explanations.....the original post asks for common sense explanations.....now do you understand why people gave common sense explanations?....do you understand how come they did that?

Everyone else here seems to understand.....except you.....what's up? Its not like your disconnect in this regard is subtle. It doesn't take much discernment to see that providing a common sense explanation is what was asked. This contrarian type of posting is not so unusual for you as can be seen by looking through your posting history.

IN this thread it mostly started with your absurd declaration of your having a better understand of my mother in law than I have.......and it just keeps on keeping on......what.is.up?
chownah
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

chownah wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:37 pm
binocular wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 am
You are the only want who seems to be trying to limit the discussion.....you seem to want to limit the discussion to certain things and you seem to be specifically trying to avoid the actual topic of this thread as stated in the title and as expressed in the original post....

The topic here is asking for common sense explanations. The title of the thread is asking for common sense explanations.....the original post asks for common sense explanations.....now do you understand why people gave common sense explanations?
If you will forgive my unsolicited barging-in, is "common sense perception" equivalent to "as-it-is reality?" I think this is an important ambiguity involving "common sense" and its intersection with Buddhadharma.

Is common sensibility identical to tathātā? To yathābhūtaṃ?
What is the Uncreated?
binocular

Post by binocular »

chownah wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:37 pmYou are the only want who seems to be trying to limit the discussion.....you seem to want to limit the discussion to certain things and you seem to be specifically trying to avoid the actual topic of this thread as stated in the title and as expressed in the original post....
Have you read Ven. Dhammanando's posts here?
The topic here is asking for common sense explanations. The title of the thread is asking for common sense explanations.....the original post asks for common sense explanations.....now do you understand why people gave common sense explanations?....do you understand how come they did that?
This is the OP, again:
SarathW wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:12 pm Is Ganges river back flow in Varanasi?
Is this the support for the story that Buddha's alms bowel went up word the Ganges river?
Clearly, the possible answers to the second question are at least Yes and No.
Everyone else here seems to understand.....except you.....what's up? Its not like your disconnect in this regard is subtle. It doesn't take much discernment to see that providing a common sense explanation is what was asked. This contrarian type of posting is not so unusual for you as can be seen by looking through your posting history.
Dhammanando wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:39 am
SarathW wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:14 pm
wasn't this the Neranjara River
That's right. Thanks.
I am just wondering this is just a natural up flowing of Neranjara river.
Of course not. It's an abbhutadhamma or miracle story. It would hardly have been worth reporting if the dish had just acted normally and floated in the direction one would expect it to float..

IN this thread it mostly started with your absurd declaration of your having a better understand of my mother in law than I have.......and it just keeps on keeping on......what.is.up?
I think your personal dislike of me is clouding your reasoning.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
chownah

Post by chownah »

binocular wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:43 pm
chownah wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:37 pmYou are the only want who seems to be trying to limit the discussion.....you seem to want to limit the discussion to certain things and you seem to be specifically trying to avoid the actual topic of this thread as stated in the title and as expressed in the original post....
This is the OP, again:
SarathW wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:12 pm Is Ganges river back flow in Varanasi?
Is this the support for the story that Buddha's alms bowel went up word the Ganges river?
Clearly, the possible answers to the second question are at least Yes and No.
Dhammanando wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:39 am
SarathW wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:14 pm
That's right. Thanks.
I am just wondering this is just a natural up flowing of Neranjara river.
Of course not. It's an abbhutadhamma or miracle story. It would hardly have been worth reporting if the dish had just acted normally and floated in the direction one would expect it to float..

I think your personal dislike of me is clouding your reasoning.
I have read dhammanando's posts.....dhammanando doesn't seem to have a problem with people bringing common sense answers....it is only you that seems to have this problem.
You seem to think that the answer to the question in the OP is clear....while if one looks at the posting one will see that it was not clear at all....specifically it was not clear that varanasi has nothing to do with the story and specifically that it was not clear what "backflow" meant.
....and to your "I think your personal dislike of me is clouding your reasoning."....this is 1. a disparagment of me for being such a cold hearted person as to not like someone for simply expressing their heart felt opinions, 2. a disparagment towards my posts by saying that my bias towards you has clouded my reasoning in what I say, and 3. just another of the many ways you use to avoid actually responding to what is being discussed because the discussion can clearly be seen that someone with a clear mind viewing what is happening will see what is going on.....so your only tactic to continue with your contrarian posting is to squirm your way to some other topic.
I have no dislike for you....I don't know anything about you except for your posts.....how could I dislike you?....as I said in a prevous post, "I want to reassure you that I am not agitated or in some hostile mood....I am quite calm. I am not saying this stuff to try to cause you grief. I am trying to hold up a mirror for you."

I think that you have convinced yourself that I have come here with the express purpose of bringing the disgusting view of a common sense explanation for the story. I think this is entirely a delusional fabication. I don't think that I have in any of my posts here offered a common sense explanation of the story. You disagree?....then go find that post and show me.

TO EVERYONE,
I think that maybe for some of you binocular's posting has convinced you that I have come here with the express purpose of bringing the view of a common sense explanation for the story. If you think something like that then I think that this is entirely your fabrication. If you think something like that then go find that post and show me......I don't think there is such a post.

Everyone, look at what is going on here.....
chownah