Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anāgāmi, and Arahant. More trouble than they are worth.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
binocular
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anāgāmi, and Arahant. More trouble than they are worth.

Post by binocular » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:05 pm

form wrote:What about those that claim that possessed jhanas?
Let them stay in them.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

Caodemarte
Posts: 831
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anāgāmi, and Arahant. More trouble than they are worth.

Post by Caodemarte » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:08 pm

binocular wrote:
form wrote:What about those that claim that possessed jhanas?
Let them stay in them.
:hug:

User avatar
TreeSleeper
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Re: Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anāgāmi, and Arahant. More trouble than they are worth.

Post by TreeSleeper » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:11 pm

Just because some people misuse things doesn't mean there's something wrong with the terms. There's a strong logical fallacy at play in your argument. Just because some people think that they are Arahants or stream-enterers doens't mean that no one is! These are four distinct stages of enlightenment that come up in ones heart. One knows in themselves that they are real. It is the way the heart functions in it's path to awakening. In reality if some actually is one of these paths, they probably wouldn't talk about it or say they were that. These things aren't title ones is bestowed upon as a level of authority, they're real, deep changes in ones defilements. The Buddha knew about these things and he spoke about them for a very good reason. Those who have actually attained to these levels know their truth and can have them as a guide to determine what more needs to be done.

User avatar
_anicca_
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:44 pm

Re: Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anāgāmi, and Arahant. More trouble than they are worth.

Post by _anicca_ » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:59 pm

The attainments are meant for honest, personal review.

They are not an accreditation of our worth as Buddhists, but stages on the path to removing our defilement.

It's best if you do not talk about your attainments at all and, if you do, only speak with other noble ones.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia

User avatar
CedarTree
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Re: Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anāgāmi, and Arahant. More trouble than they are worth.

Post by CedarTree » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:54 pm

_anicca_ wrote:The attainments are meant for honest, personal review.

They are not an accreditation of our worth as Buddhists, but stages on the path to removing our defilement.

It's best if you do not talk about your attainments at all and, if you do, only speak with other noble ones.
Very good wisdom from Anicca.


Practice, Practice, Practice


lordimay
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:57 am

Re: Sotapanna, Sakadagami, Anāgāmi, and Arahant. More trouble than they are worth.

Post by lordimay » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:03 am

_anicca_ wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:59 pm
The attainments are meant for honest, personal review.

They are not an accreditation of our worth as Buddhists, but stages on the path to removing our defilement.

It's best if you do not talk about your attainments at all and, if you do, only speak with other noble ones.
That's assuming one is aware of what they are, of course. FIguring out one has been free of internal sankhara, for example, would require understanding others are not, first. Only then, may one start to look for another noble one.

And that's the last I'll say of that, here.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AgarikaJ, anthbrown84, auto, Baidu [Spider], Viachh, Yahoo [Bot] and 39 guests