Compliance in Modern World

Exploring modern Theravāda interpretations of the Buddha's teaching.
vofm

Compliance in Modern World

Post by vofm » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Last edited by vofm on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhammarelax

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Post by dhammarelax » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:44 pm

vofm wrote:Hello.

Quick question.
My understanding of the Dharma is that someone should avoid wrong behaviors such as taking to others in a bad manner as an example.
Now let's move to the workplace.
Many managers who are too nice with other people are usually seen as "too nice" which is not a quality.
Coworkers will test you when you join a company and if you don't stike back they will consider you weak.
How can you protect your interests and be compliant with the rules ?
Dont forget that the buddha also talks of manly effort and roars his lion voice:

SN 12.22

“Bhikkhus, the Dhamma has thus been well expounded by me, elucidated, disclosed, revealed, stripped of patchwork. When, bhikkhus, the Dhamma has thus been well expounded by me, elucidated, disclosed, revealed, stripped of patchwork, this is enough for a clansman who has gone forth out of faith to arouse his energy thus: ‘Willingly, let only my skin, sinews, and bones remain, and let the flesh and blood dry up in my body, but I will not relax my energy so long as I have not attained what can be attained by manly strength, by manly energy, by manly exertion. ’

AN 64 (1 0 ) Lion's Roar

"Bhikkhus, there are these six Tathagata's powers that the
Tathagata has, possessing which he claims the place of the chief
bull, roars his lion's roar in the assemblies, and sets in motion
the brahma wheel.What six?

There is a teaching where the Buddha realizes that a dishonest monk is hearing the recitation of the Patimokha and his disciples remove the man from the meeting.

Dont forget that the Vinaya has rules that if you break them you will no longer be a monk.

Smile
Dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:25 pm

vofm wrote:Many managers who are too nice with other people are usually seen as "too nice" which is not a quality.
Coworkers will test you when you join a company and if you don't stike back they will consider you weak.
How can you protect your interests and be compliant with the rules ?
So what if one is seen as weak or "too nice"? One is better off making good kamma.

This sutta, although not directly related, comes to mind:
Vepacitti Sutta (SN 11.4) wrote: They call that strength no strength at all—
The strength that is the strength of folly—
But no one can reproach a person
Who is strong because guarded by Dhamma.
[...]
When he achieves the cure of both—
His own and the other’s—
The people who consider him a fool
Are unskilled in the Dhamma.

vofm

Post by vofm » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:03 pm

Last edited by vofm on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:31 pm

vofm wrote:Agreed.
But somewhat you can't really live without taking into consideration your reality. I want to practice compassion and trying to follow the rules BUT the problem is that living in big cities and working for a big company it's not easy. In case someone making fun out of me i will have to reply agressively because coworkers will test you, your manager will ask you to get this horrible word of "leadership" (meaning you have to be the dominating person in the group).
Not easy.
The key is not to get wound up about the way other people behave. You don't have to be aggressive at all in order to be firm and clear about your boundaries and It can still be done pleasantly, with a smile.

binocular

Post by binocular » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 am

Nicolas wrote:So what if one is seen as weak or "too nice"?
One is more likely to lose one's job and not get a good reference for the next one.

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:44 am

binocular wrote:
Nicolas wrote:So what if one is seen as weak or "too nice"?
One is more likely to lose one's job and not get a good reference for the next one.
Or you might find a job where your characteristics are appreciated.
chownah

binocular

Post by binocular » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:48 am

chownah wrote:Or you might find a job where your characteristics are appreciated.
And where do they appreciate weak and nice people?
Not even in cults.

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:36 pm

binocular wrote:
chownah wrote:Or you might find a job where your characteristics are appreciated.
No one appreciated weak people, if we are using the term 'weak' in the way I think we are using it. People, and more importantly employers, profoundly appreciate nice people. Take for instance: social work, customer service, PR, teaching, and conflict mediation. These are all jobs in which being insufficiently nice is liable to get you fired.
神足示現者,
世尊隨其所應,而示現入禪定正受,陵虛至東方,作四威儀,
行、住、坐、臥,入火三昧,出種種火光,青、黃、赤、白、
紅、頗梨色,水火俱現, 或身下出火,身上出水,身上出火,
身下出水,周圓四方亦復如是。

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:00 am

binocular wrote:
Not even in cults.
At my house.
chownah

binocular

Post by binocular » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:47 am

Coëmgenu wrote:
No one appreciated weak people, if we are using the term 'weak' in the way I think we are using it. People, and more importantly employers, profoundly appreciate nice people. Take for instance: social work, customer service, PR, teaching, and conflict mediation. These are all jobs in which being insufficiently nice is liable to get you fired.
It's more complex than that. In some of the jobs you mention, it's not niceness that is required, but a particular kind of manipulation and passive aggressiveness.

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:58 am

binocular wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:
It's more complex than that. In some of the jobs you mention, it's not niceness that is required, but a particular kind of manipulation and passive aggressiveness.
In most jobs you just have to show up and do your work....by most I mean over half...50.01% or more. Weak or nice doesn't really matter that much. If weak and nice means not arguing and presenting a pleasant face then they are a bonus.
chownah

form

Post by form » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:54 am

Some may opt to be submissive to higher ranks and aggressive to lower ranks. Same rank they will treat them based on their promotion potential.