Compliance in Modern World

Exploring modern Theravāda interpretations of the Buddha's teaching.
vofm
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Compliance in Modern World

Postby vofm » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:12 pm

....................
Last edited by vofm on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhammarelax
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby dhammarelax » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:44 pm

vofm wrote:Hello.

Quick question.
My understanding of the Dharma is that someone should avoid wrong behaviors such as taking to others in a bad manner as an example.
Now let's move to the workplace.
Many managers who are too nice with other people are usually seen as "too nice" which is not a quality.
Coworkers will test you when you join a company and if you don't stike back they will consider you weak.
How can you protect your interests and be compliant with the rules ?


Dont forget that the buddha also talks of manly effort and roars his lion voice:

SN 12.22

“Bhikkhus, the Dhamma has thus been well expounded by me, elucidated, disclosed, revealed, stripped of patchwork. When, bhikkhus, the Dhamma has thus been well expounded by me, elucidated, disclosed, revealed, stripped of patchwork, this is enough for a clansman who has gone forth out of faith to arouse his energy thus: ‘Willingly, let only my skin, sinews, and bones remain, and let the flesh and blood dry up in my body, but I will not relax my energy so long as I have not attained what can be attained by manly strength, by manly energy, by manly exertion. ’

AN 64 (1 0 ) Lion's Roar

"Bhikkhus, there are these six Tathagata's powers that the
Tathagata has, possessing which he claims the place of the chief
bull, roars his lion's roar in the assemblies, and sets in motion
the brahma wheel.What six?

There is a teaching where the Buddha realizes that a dishonest monk is hearing the recitation of the Patimokha and his disciples remove the man from the meeting.

Dont forget that the Vinaya has rules that if you break them you will no longer be a monk.

Smile
Dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:59 pm
Location: Somerville, MA, USA

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby Nicolas » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:25 pm

vofm wrote:Many managers who are too nice with other people are usually seen as "too nice" which is not a quality.
Coworkers will test you when you join a company and if you don't stike back they will consider you weak.
How can you protect your interests and be compliant with the rules ?


So what if one is seen as weak or "too nice"? One is better off making good kamma.

This sutta, although not directly related, comes to mind:
Vepacitti Sutta (SN 11.4) wrote:They call that strength no strength at all—
The strength that is the strength of folly—
But no one can reproach a person
Who is strong because guarded by Dhamma.
[...]
When he achieves the cure of both—
His own and the other’s—
The people who consider him a fool
Are unskilled in the Dhamma.

vofm
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby vofm » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:03 pm

...
Last edited by vofm on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5313
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby Aloka » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:31 pm

vofm wrote:Agreed.
But somewhat you can't really live without taking into consideration your reality. I want to practice compassion and trying to follow the rules BUT the problem is that living in big cities and working for a big company it's not easy. In case someone making fun out of me i will have to reply agressively because coworkers will test you, your manager will ask you to get this horrible word of "leadership" (meaning you have to be the dominating person in the group).
Not easy.


The key is not to get wound up about the way other people behave. You don't have to be aggressive at all in order to be firm and clear about your boundaries and It can still be done pleasantly, with a smile.

binocular
Posts: 2384
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby binocular » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 am

Nicolas wrote:So what if one is seen as weak or "too nice"?

One is more likely to lose one's job and not get a good reference for the next one.

chownah
Posts: 5465
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby chownah » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:44 am

binocular wrote:
Nicolas wrote:So what if one is seen as weak or "too nice"?

One is more likely to lose one's job and not get a good reference for the next one.

Or you might find a job where your characteristics are appreciated.
chownah

binocular
Posts: 2384
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby binocular » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:48 am

chownah wrote:Or you might find a job where your characteristics are appreciated.

And where do they appreciate weak and nice people?
Not even in cults.

User avatar
Coëmgenu
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby Coëmgenu » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:36 pm

binocular wrote:
chownah wrote:Or you might find a job where your characteristics are appreciated.

And where do they appreciate weak and nice people?
No one appreciated weak people, if we are using the term 'weak' in the way I think we are using it. People, and more importantly employers, profoundly appreciate nice people. Take for instance: social work, customer service, PR, teaching, and conflict mediation. These are all jobs in which being insufficiently nice is liable to get you fired.
Bhagavā arahaṃ sammasāmbuddho:
Svākkhāto yena bhagavatā dhammo / Supaṭipanno yassa bhagavato sāvakasaṅgho
Tammayaṃ bhagavantaṃ sadhammaṃ sasaṅghaṃ / Imehi sakkārehi yathārahaṃ āropitehi abhipūjayāma.
(Dedication of Offerings)
此等諸法,法住、法空、法如、法爾,法不離如,法不異如,審諦真實、不顛倒。These many dharmāḥ, the residence of these dharmāḥ, the emptiness of these dharmāḥ, these dharmāḥ self-explain, these dharmāḥ are thus, these dharmāḥ do not depart from their self-explaining, these dharmāḥ are not different than their self-explaining, judged as truly real, not delusional. (SA 296, 因緣法)
揭諦揭諦,波羅揭諦,波羅僧揭諦,菩提薩婆訶

chownah
Posts: 5465
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby chownah » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:00 am

binocular wrote:
chownah wrote:Or you might find a job where your characteristics are appreciated.

And where do they appreciate weak and nice people?
Not even in cults.

At my house.
chownah

binocular
Posts: 2384
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby binocular » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:47 am

Coëmgenu wrote:
And where do they appreciate weak and nice people?
No one appreciated weak people, if we are using the term 'weak' in the way I think we are using it. People, and more importantly employers, profoundly appreciate nice people. Take for instance: social work, customer service, PR, teaching, and conflict mediation. These are all jobs in which being insufficiently nice is liable to get you fired.

It's more complex than that. In some of the jobs you mention, it's not niceness that is required, but a particular kind of manipulation and passive aggressiveness.

chownah
Posts: 5465
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Compliance in Modern World

Postby chownah » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:58 am

binocular wrote:
Coëmgenu wrote:
And where do they appreciate weak and nice people?
No one appreciated weak people, if we are using the term 'weak' in the way I think we are using it. People, and more importantly employers, profoundly appreciate nice people. Take for instance: social work, customer service, PR, teaching, and conflict mediation. These are all jobs in which being insufficiently nice is liable to get you fired.

It's more complex than that. In some of the jobs you mention, it's not niceness that is required, but a particular kind of manipulation and passive aggressiveness.

In most jobs you just have to show up and do your work....by most I mean over half...50.01% or more. Weak or nice doesn't really matter that much. If weak and nice means not arguing and presenting a pleasant face then they are a bonus.
chownah


Return to “Modern Interpretations”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Goofaholix, leddar9947, tantric and 4 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine