Bhikkhu Anālayo’s e-learning course on the Nibbana sermons by Bhikkhu Katukurunde Ñāṇananda

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
aflatun

Re: Bhikkhu Anālayo’s e-learning course on the Nibbana sermons by Bhikkhu Katukurunde Ñāṇananda

Post by aflatun »

mikenz66 wrote:Here's a recent interview with Bhikkhu Analayo on what he plans to do with the course (among other things):

https://www.bcbsdharma.org/article/the- ... 0Interview

:heart:
Mike
I love his answer to "Bhante, what is Nibbana?" Analayo is such an inspiration.
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
Javi

Re: Bhikkhu Anālayo’s e-learning course on the Nibbana sermons by Bhikkhu Katukurunde Ñāṇananda

Post by Javi »

I'm checking daily and I will definitely be attending this if I can sign up :anjali:
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Javi wrote:I'm checking daily and I will definitely be attending this if I can sign up :anjali:
mikenz66 wrote:Registration is now open...

https://www.bcbsdharma.org/resources/bh ... arn%20More
Mike
Javi

Post by Javi »

Thanks Mike! Registered!
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Self-taught poverty is a help toward philosophy, for the things which philosophy attempts to teach by reasoning, poverty forces us to practice. — Diogenes of Sinope

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

aflatun

Post by aflatun »

Thanks for the reminder Mike, I had forgotten to register, just did it now :thumbsup:
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I think I got about 2/3rd of the way through the first lecture before the connection dropped out...

There's some points being made by ven. Dhammadinna that would be worth considering by a certain ex-member who insisted that hard logical reasoning and debate was the bedrock of the Dhamma and truth. (roughly around the 35-45 minute mark, from memory).

Otherwise, there is no direct analysis of ven Nanananda' teachings yet, but I guess this introduction is still just scene setting and epistemology.

I'd recommend scanning the lecture notes first to see whether the present subject material is of interest, as if time is limited, it may be invested better in subsequent lectures.

EDIT: The final third focuses on ancient and traditional understandings of the meaning of the term "Theravada", presumably to soften any rigidity on what could or should reasonably be called Theravada, and the authority (or lack thereof) that it should yield. (Keep in mind here that his critics consider him to be heretical). This talk on the "shifting identity" of Theravada is set to commence again in the next lecture.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The introductory talk is certainly useful background, and I look forward to Ven Analayo's typically acute analysis.

I would encourage people to register to get access to the talks as they occur, the notes, and the discussion forum. In previous lecture series Ven Analayo summarised the discussions at the start of each lecture, so the content of the discussion has an influence on the direction of the talks.

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Two lectures into Ven Analayo's talks I'm really enjoying this series. In particular some of the background that he brings to it.

In the first lecture, Ven Analayo pointed out that the monastery where Ven Nananada was living when these lectures were delivered was a strict forest meditation monastery, and used a variation on the Mahasi approach (which is, of course, obvious from Ven Nanananda's meditation manuals). These are, therefore, lectures designed to complement their practice. Nama-rupa comes up early in the first lecture. The understanding of nama-rupa is, as Ven Analayo points out, the first insight knowledge, so would be highly relevant to this audience.

Looking forward to the rest of the series. If you are not already registered I guess you'll have to wait to later to get access to the lectures.

Mike
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Those who did not register (like me!) need not fear. From the link that Mike gave:
The last day to register was April 20. In late July/early August, we will publicly post all the content from this lecture series.
:woohoo:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Mkoll,

The style of the lectures has been that Ven Analayo reads Ven Nanananda's text, but adds some clarifying comments, and also gives more modern English translations (mostly from Bhikkhu Bodhi, including his upcoming Sutta Nipata translation).

At the start of each lecture, he has a brief discussion of points raised on the discussion forum for the previous lecture.

I went though these lectures several years ago, and made use of various extracts in some of our Sutta Study threads, particularly those on the last chapter of the Sutta Nipata. It's great to go through them again.

Mike
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

mikenz66 wrote:Thanks Mkoll,

The style of the lectures has been that Ven Analayo reads Ven Nanananda's text, but adds some clarifying comments, and also gives more modern English translations (mostly from Bhikkhu Bodhi, including his upcoming Sutta Nipata translation).

At the start of each lecture, he has a brief discussion of points raised on the discussion forum for the previous lecture.

I went though these lectures several years ago, and made use of various extracts in some of our Sutta Study threads, particularly those on the last chapter of the Sutta Nipata. It's great to go through them again.

Mike
I'm glad you pointed that! Are the comments on the audio/video more substantive than those on the written transcripts? I clicked on a lecture transcript this morning and was confused when all I saw was an original Nibbana Sermon with some alternative translations. I probably missed something as I was in a hurry.

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I'm pleased to see that he has inserted the translation into the written material. In the lectures he does make other comments. Most of these are relatively short, but I did find many of them very helpful.

In several cases he refers to other works briefly, but gives the material on the site. For example, he mentions Jurewicz' paper on parallels between Vedic thought and the first few links in dependent origination, and makes the paper available. See: https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=7464

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The question of whether nibbana is experienced at each of the four paths came up over here: https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29519

This interpretation (that each path is an experience of nibbana) appears to me to be a crucial part of Ven Nananada's discussion (starting, in particular, in #2).

Like the Classical Commentaries, Ven Nanananda describes Nibbana as something that is experienced at each path, and that experience removes the appropriate fetters. Like the Commentaries, he rejects the idea that the nibbana experiences before death are continuous.

Perhaps others have a different take on the Sermons?

Mike