Nanananda's Paticcasamuppada series - Sermons 1-20 now available

Exploring modern Theravāda interpretations of the Buddha's teaching.
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Nanananda's Paticcasamuppada series - Sermons 1-20 now available

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:28 am

Greetings,

For anyone interested in the Buddha's teaching on paticcasamuppada, venerable Nanananda has issued four volumes on this deep and profound teaching.

Paticcasamuppada (Sermons 1-5)
Paticcasamuppada (Sermons 6-10)
Paticcasamuppada (Sermons 11-15)
Paticcasamuppada (Sermons 16-20)

Paticcasamuppada (Sermon 15) - Standalone publication of The Miracle of Contact

In a previous topic there was discussion based on a draft version of this document. The draft previously covered sermons 5-7 from this series.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Paul. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Thu May 26, 2016 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

“One to whom it might occur, ‘I’m a woman’ or ‘I’m a man’. Or ‘I’m anything at all’— Is fit for Mara to address.” (SN 5.2)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Nanananda's Paticcasamuppada series - Sermons 1-10 now available

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:54 am

Greetings,

An update received on forthcoming sermons from this excellent series...

The Paticcasamuppada series consists of 20 sermons and the last sermon was delivered on 2013/03/26. This was a special mini-series during the course of 209 sermons Bhante delivered over the years on every poya day. Bhante has translated Sermons 1- 10 (Vol I, Vol II) and sermons 11, 15 and 20 due to their importance. Due to failing health it was with great difficulty that he translated the last 3 sermons. Now he has given that responsibility to a competent person and Vol III (Sermons 11-15) is almost ready for print, while Vol IV (Sermons 16-20) is still work in progress.All 4 volumes are out in Sinhala.

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

“One to whom it might occur, ‘I’m a woman’ or ‘I’m a man’. Or ‘I’m anything at all’— Is fit for Mara to address.” (SN 5.2)

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Nanananda's Paticcasamuppada series - Sermons 1-10 & 15 now available

Postby retrofuturist » Thu May 26, 2016 3:22 am

Greetings,

Sermon 15 has now been made publicly available (link) as a standalone publication as a prelude to the remainder of the English translation of the series.

Bhikkhu K. Ñāṇananda wrote:The series of 20 sermons on ‘Paṭicca Samuppāda’ which
I delivered at Pothgulgala Āraṇya in Devalegama seems to have
had an appeal to those who listened to the sermons, or read them
when the series came out in 4 volumes. Although the translation
of the first ten sermons have already appeared (‘The Law of
Dependent Arising’ – The Secret of Bondage and Release –
volumes I & II), due to failing health I have not been able to
translate them all myself. So I delegated the task to someone who
is competent and the last two volumes will be issued in due
course.

However I have translated the 15th sermon on ‘Contact’
(phassa) because of its pivotal significance and the special way of
presentation. Hence I thought of giving it priority by bringing it
out as a separate booklet titled: ‘The Miracle of Contact’. Even to
those who are disinclined to go through the entire series, it is
hoped that this booklet would at least give a foretaste of the depth
of the Law of Dependent Arising and its practical value to our
lives.

:buddha1:

Metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Nanananda's Paticcasamuppada series - Sermons 1-10 & 15 now available

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:58 am

Greetings,

The full set of sermons (1-20) is now available via the links found in the original post.

As per the note above, some of the latter sermons have been translated by someone other than ven. Nanananda, and I can discern some transcription errors which I suspect will be remedied in subsequent iterations of these files.

Metta,

Thisperson

Re: Nanananda's Paticcasamuppada series - Sermons 1-20 now available

Postby Thisperson » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:35 am

Thanks Paul, although it seems that the first two links (Sermons 1-5) and (Sermons 6-10) are broken now.

Checking out on here, looks like they changed the addresses.
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/books/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Nanananda's Paticcasamuppada series - Sermons 1-20 now available

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:43 am

Greetings,

Thanks for the update - I'll fix the direct links now...

:geek:

Metta,

Return to “Modern Interpretations”