bringing pfunk mythology and ecstatic dance to buddhism

Exploring modern Theravāda interpretations of the Buddha's teaching.
tantric

bringing pfunk mythology and ecstatic dance to buddhism

Postby tantric » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:57 pm

historically, every time buddhism has encountered a new culture, it has resulted in a sort of revigorization as new schools are born. but so far, all the west has to offer is secular buddhism...which is a bit lame.

for the utterly clueless, parliament/funkadelic were/are a group of bands that came together in the 70s. thus was during the afro-power days when every american black was directly descended from nefrititi. the genius of george cllinton was in realizing that mythology is just a story, and, indeed, history is just state mythology. rather than digging thru african history, he flat out created his own mythology.

pfunkmythologylink

starchild, aka the maitreya buddha, is a divine alien being who came to earth from a spaceship (his arrival is "the Mothership Connection") to bring the holy Funk (with a capital "F": the cause of creation and source of energy and all life) to humanity. As it turns out , Starchild secretly worked for Dr. Funkenstein, the intergalactic master of outer space Funk, who is capable of fixing all of man’s ills, because the "bigger the headache, the bigger the pill" and he’s the "big pill". the funk is ecstatic dance. The disciples of starchild (“Maggotbrains” or “Funkateers”) consisted of anyone who sought a quasi- cohesive view of a universe which included a god who danced, and who knew that having a loose booty to shake was as crucial to the keeping of the faith as the rosary was for the Catholic.

what will america bring to buddhism? the FUNK. we will be first sect of buddhists who embrace ecstatic dance. it will spawn music, art, etc......and btw, monks don't take mdma because it would just be wasted, they live in that state.

the following is a bit i wrote:

the next buddha will have skin the color of dirt, six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot. oh, yeah, and a freakin’ righteous ‘fro. and sunglasses – ’cause you gotta wear your sunglasses, so you can feel cool.

after he encounters nirvana, he will be tested. the MAN, lord of addiction and greed, will rise up before him and offer him all the moneys of the world. the buddha will look up and say “they are but dirt and ashes to my eyes, ” and the money will burn and the gold will rust into dirt.

then the MAN will threaten with all the armies of the oppressors. guns will be aimed, missiles will be armed, bombs will lock on target. the MAN will push his button and the weapons of hell will fly. then the buddha will look upon them and smile, and they will turn to flower petals and tabs of LSD and rain down upon the peoples.

at last, the MAN, knowing he has lost, will challenge “you are alone, who will know your accomplishment?” and the buddha will look towards the camera and smile, “the world is my witness”.

i keep telling people this, and they just laugh – “wow, what an imagination”, as if i’m kidding.

yes, i'm off my nut.

SDC

Re: bringing pfunk mythology and ecstatic dance to buddhism

Postby SDC » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Perhpas you are nuts, but this very well may be the greatest post DW has ever seen.

Bhante Lucky

Postby Bhante Lucky » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:53 pm

That is super-fly! Do you have a link to more, or could you send me some? I'd love to print it out and leave it in the monastery office for the monks to read.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:43 pm

tantric wrote:what will america bring to buddhism? the FUNK. we will be first sect of buddhists who embrace ecstatic dance. it will spawn music, art, etc......and btw, monks don't take mdma because it would just be wasted, they live in that state.

the following is a bit i wrote:

the next buddha will have skin the color of dirt, six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot. oh, yeah, and a freakin’ righteous ‘fro. and sunglasses – ’cause you gotta wear your sunglasses, so you can feel cool.

I found him:

phpBB [video]

The Party Rock Anthem was the first thing that came to my mind when I read your post. :tongue:

It might be good to lure in some younger people to the Dhamma, for monastics though, there is the precept against singing and dancing. The vast majority of Buddhists are lay people. Perhaps some talented Buddhist musicians could make a Buddhist version of Party Rock Anthem.

rowboat

Postby rowboat » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:52 am

phpBB [video]

Jazz legend Dr. Lonnie Smith :smile:
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

tantric

Postby tantric » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:35 am

wow, nice

it's good to be here

[video=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyGy0ODCutEits good to be here].

hmmm - technical difficulties

Javi

Postby Javi » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:54 am

On a related note, here's a Buddhist punk band:

http://www.lionsroar.com/meet-ruin-the- ... punk-band/
Vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādethā — All things decay and disappoint, it is through vigilance that you succeed — Mahāparinibbāna Sutta

Tārakā timiraṃ dīpo māyāvaśyāya budbudaḥ supinaṃ vidyud abhraṃ ca evaṃ draṣṭavya saṃskṛtam — A shooting star, a clouding of the sight, a lamp, An illusion, a drop of dew, a bubble, A dream, a lightning’s flash, a thunder cloud — This is the way one should see the conditioned — Vajracchedikā Prajñāpāramitā

I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after wind — Ecclesiastes 1.14

tantric

Postby tantric » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:24 pm

something's happening....something wonderful!

this is a video of a japanese (pureland) techno-buddhist funeral.

phpBB [video]

Jetavan

Postby Jetavan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:17 am

O
M
G

"Funky" in Pali is "hasana".

tantric

Postby tantric » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:19 pm

iki, 粋, is japanese for 'zen cool'.

Iki is an expression of simplicity, sophistication, spontaneity, and originality. It is ephemeral, romantic, straightforward, measured, audacious, smart, and unselfconscious.

Iki is not overly refined, pretentious, complicated, showy, slick, coquettish, or, generally, cute. At the same time, iki may exhibit any of those traits in a smart, direct, and unabashed manner.

ジェタヷンのスタイルは とても粋ですよ。

Return to “Modern Interpretations”