How To See Impermanence ?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
cappuccino

Re: How To See Impermanence ?

Post by cappuccino »

"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self.

Which five? Form as a clinging-aggregate, feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness as a clinging-aggregate.

A virtuous monk should attend in an appropriate way to these five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self.

For it is possible that a virtuous monk, attending in an appropriate way to these five clinging-aggregates as inconstant... not-self, would realize the fruit of stream-entry."

Silavant Sutta: Virtuous

Laurens

Post by Laurens »

I sometimes use my memory to reflect upon the nature of change. For instance, I will think back to what I was doing before meditating and realise how different things were then in terms of my experience. Contrasting then and now is a clear way to see that experience is just a constant state of flux.

Another thing I take note of is things that are fleeting in their nature. Sound is a good example. A car going past emerges into experience and then goes away quite rapidly. Even just watching the attention and how it doesn't stay permanently in one place. Even if you are an exceptional meditator and can last an entire session focused on the breath, once you finish your attention will drift onto something else.

Once you understand that impermanence is a characteristic of all conditioned things, you can see it everywhere, and really the question becomes 'how does anyone see permanence in anything?'
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:12 am
Pondera wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:49 am
Ceisiwr wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:29 am
Develop a sufficient level of concentration (4th Jhana) so that the mind is purified and bright. This allows you to see how phenomena are constructed out of feeling, consciousness and nama-rupa and how those three things themselves rise and cease dependent upon conditions.

With respect, any level of rupa jhana is sufficient to produce Samādhi powerful enough to gain insight into the three marks and how the skhandas are conditioned by those three marks.

That is evidenced in this sutta: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

It is possible with the lower Jhanas, yes. My reading is that it is harder, more for the very gifted.
not very possi with 1 or 2 jhana or access
Find a tree and practice jhana or dont regret later- Buddha
Something exist, dont exist, both exist and non exist, neither exist nor dont exist .. all these four possibilities are wrong- Nagarjuna
Find a dhamma companion or roam alone like rhinoceros in the wild- Buddha
If you are not happy even after following 8NP then you are doing it wrong- CL (confused layman)