The Old "In-Out In-Out"

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Manopubbangama

The Old "In-Out In-Out"

Post by Manopubbangama »

Great Vipassana video. :meditate:

This is no time to check the meter, love: meditate!

Death is closing in..... :o
paul

Re: The Old "In-Out In-Out"

Post by paul »

It’s misleading to label seated meditation as vipassana, it’s characteristic of samatha meditation:

“Seated meditation is the arena in which the meditator practices his own fundamental skills. The game the meditator is playing is the experience of his own life, and the instrument upon which he plays is his own sensory apparatus. Even the most seasoned meditator continues to practice seated meditation, because it tunes and sharpens the basic mental skills he needs for his particular game. We must never forget, however, that seated meditation itself is not the game. It's the practice. The game in which those basic skills are to be applied is the rest of one's experiential existence. Meditation that is not applied to daily living is sterile and limited.
[…]
Your practice must be made to apply to your everyday living situation. That is your laboratory. It provides the trials and challenges you need to make your practice deep and genuine. It's the fire that purifies your practice of deception and error, the acid test that shows you when you are getting somewhere and when you are fooling yourself. If your meditation isn't helping you to cope with everyday conflicts and struggles, then it is shallow. If your day-to-day emotional reactions are not becoming clearer and easier to manage, then you are wasting your time. “—-“Mindfulness in Plain English”, Gunaratana
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Your practice must be made to apply to your everyday living situation. That is your laboratory. It provides the trials and challenges you need to make your practice deep and genuine. It's the fire that purifies your practice of deception and error, the acid test that shows you when you are getting somewhere and when you are fooling yourself. If your meditation isn't helping you to cope with everyday conflicts and struggles, then it is shallow. If your day-to-day emotional reactions are not becoming clearer and easier to manage, then you are wasting your time. “—-“Mindfulness in Plain English”, Gunaratana
Agree.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mrgrtt123

Post by mrgrtt123 »

I guess it's time for me to meditate to avoid overthinking.
A web designer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies
Mohan Gnanathilake

Post by Mohan Gnanathilake »

mrgrtt123 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:19 am I guess it's time for me to meditate to avoid overthinking.
Theravada Buddhists believe that the more we learn to deal with our minds, the less we become overthinkers.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mohan Gnanathilake wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:23 pm
mrgrtt123 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:19 am I guess it's time for me to meditate to avoid overthinking.
Theravada Buddhists believe that the more we learn to deal with our minds, the less we become overthinkers.
Really? It doesn't seem like that, looking at the discussions on this forum, where overthinking seems to be the norm. Possibly it's just a facet of Internet Buddhism.

As for the OP, it's not good practice to dump videos without a summary of content. On one forum I know, you're forced to watch tedious videos before being allowed to join in the discussion. No wonder nobody joins in. It's nonsense.
Buddha save me from new-agers!