Noting throughout the day

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
epm44

Noting throughout the day

Post by epm44 »

Could anyone offer some advice on noting practice in daily life? I’m curious if as a practice one should start out using it in formal sitting and walking sessions and gradually trying to keep up the noting with other tasks as mindfulness/concentration becomes stronger? I find that on the cushion although still challenging I can maintain the effort in using the noting, but then throughout the day when doing various tasks especially if working quickly I seem to drop it because it gets too difficult. I’m interested in people’s perspectives on this or if someone knows of a talk where a teacher touches on this subject. Thanks!
User1249x

Re: Noting throughout the day

Post by User1249x »

You are correct, formal training conditions it and it gets better and better the more you do it.
Last edited by User1249x on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
denise

Post by denise »

one_awakening

Post by one_awakening »

The normal practice when practicing mindfulness throughout the day is not to note, because there's just too many things to note. Instead, bring your awareness to the mindfulness object.

I personally think practicing mindfulness during the day is harder than formal sitting meditation because there are a lot more distractions. For me, I usually try to simplify it by being mindful of the body to start with. For example, when reaching for your cup of coffee be mindful of your arm extending. You could focus on your arm or the feeling of the arm extending. From there you will naturally become mindful of more things. For example, next time you notice your intention to pick up the cup of coffee, before you actually extend your arm.
“You only lose what you cling to”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

epm44 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:35 pm then throughout the day when doing various tasks especially if working quickly I seem to drop it because it gets too difficult.
Sayadaw U Teijania says to use the smallest amount of effort possible, the mildest intensity of awareness possible, the most relaxed awareness, when doing daily things. No need to be too intense about it. That really helped me with that kind of thing. Best wishes!
one_awakening

Post by one_awakening »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:47 am
Sayadaw U Teijania says to use the smallest amount of effort possible,
Totally agree, otherwise it gets exhausting
“You only lose what you cling to”
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

epm44 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:35 pm Could anyone offer some advice on noting practice in daily life? I’m curious if as a practice one should start out using it in formal sitting and walking sessions and gradually trying to keep up the noting with other tasks as mindfulness/concentration becomes stronger? I find that on the cushion although still challenging I can maintain the effort in using the noting, but then throughout the day when doing various tasks especially if working quickly I seem to drop it because it gets too difficult. I’m interested in people’s perspectives on this or if someone knows of a talk where a teacher touches on this subject. Thanks!
There are different approaches, and I think it's fine to experiment and tailor your method. It's really about ways of noticing stuff. I think some clues are to be found in the fourth frame of reference in the Satipatthana Sutta, where you can focus on various aspects of experience, including the aggregates, the sense-bases and the hindrances. I think the idea is to focus on one aspect at a time, it provides a structure to mindfulness practice, both on and off the cushion. I'm not a fan of the continuous noting method, but I find occasional noting to be helpful.

See "D. Mental Qualities" here: https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Buddha save me from new-agers!
epm44

Post by epm44 »

Thanks for the advice everyone!